Sign in to follow this  
Spork3245

The official car suggestion and car advice thread

Currently have a 2016 Mustang GT Premium on lease. I have a good 16 months left on the lease but started looking around now as with the time I have left dealers are letting me look, test drive and leave without much pressure. I'm a big Mustang fan, in fact all 4 of my previous cars have been a Mustang... buuuut, the dealer gave me a hard time coming down on the lease payments for my 2016, and with what I'm paying I know there's a lot out there. There's a good chance I'll go ahead and hop into a 2018/2019 Mustang as there are major upgrades coming to the engine, transmission, look and fuel economy, but I just want to look into everything else in my range and performance preference first.

Over the weekend I test drove an Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti (not the $80k Quadrifoglio varient :P ), incredible interior and feel, but tons of turbo lag from the engine. Also drove an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport... the salesman had me turn on some pre-collision thing while driving and then told me to pound the gas and try to crash into the car driving in front of us, to which I replied "uhh, I'm good". 

I'm looking around the $45-$50k mark (unless there are lease specials on higher priced models) with 0-60mph times of no more than 5.1-ish seconds. Thinking of checking out a bmw 240i, mercedes c-class and jaguar xe sometime in the next few weeks. Anything else?

42 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

I recently test drove the Fiat version of the MX5 (the Abarth model) while my wife was picking out her new car not long ago and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I want 4 seats, should've mentioned that... even if 2 of the seats are somewhat useless, the insurance is way cheaper than a 2-seater :P 

The Abarth looks nice though, saw it at the Alfa Romeo/Fiat dealership, but from what I've read the MX5 is a better car with higher quality materials used for the interior.

Might look at a Genesis G80 v8 and a Lexus IS350

I have a 2013 Mustang GT Premium and should be done paying it off next year. After that I don't plan to buy another car unless it's a Tesla. Love my Mustang but I really want an electric car because I hate going to the gas station :P 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Tesla or bust 

I'd need to go with at least the 90D, which is way out of my price-range. Also, at the cost of the p70D and up, the interior is honestly trash compared to similarly priced cars.

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

That's actually on my list of what to try too :sun: 

The one thing that concerns me is its lack of power (Audi claims a 5.6 sec 0-60). The Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti claimed a 0-60mph of 5.1, but it honestly felt way slower than that. I even had it in dynamic (sports) mode. I figured I wouldn't notice one and a half blinks of the human eye (0.6 seconds) worth of time on speed compared to my Mustang (4.5 0-60), but good lord. I'm hoping Alfa Romeo is just lying about the numbers and the Audi feels good. I really like the full Google-Earth navigation being in the gauge cluster.

BTW - do Audis still basically start falling apart after 60-80k miles, or are they more reliable now?

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'd need to go with at least the 90D, which is way out of my price-range. Also, at the cost of the p70D and up, the interior is honestly trash compared to similarly priced cars.

That's actually on my list of what to try too :sun: 

The one thing that concerns me is its lack of power (Audi claims a 5.6 sec 0-60). The Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti claimed a 0-60mph of 5.1, but it honestly felt way slower than that. I even had it in dynamic (sports) mode. I figured I wouldn't notice one and a half blinks of the human eye (0.6 seconds) worth of time on speed compared to my Mustang (4.5 0-60), but good lord. I'm hoping Alfa Romeo is just lying about the numbers and the Audi feels good. I really like the full Google-Earth navigation being in the gauge cluster.

BTW - do Audis still basically start falling apart after 60-80k miles, or are they more reliable now?

Hmm... The S3 or S5 may be worth looking at over the A4? @Pikachu

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I have a 2013 Mustang GT Premium and should be done paying it off next year. After that I don't plan to buy another car unless it's a Tesla. Love my Mustang but I really want an electric car because I hate going to the gas station :P 

You could always get a BMW i3 for a secondary car! :P 

Or just wait for the Hybrid Mustang GT coming in 2019 for the 2020 model year...

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Currently have a 2016 Mustang GT Premium on lease. I have a good 16 months left on the lease but started looking around now as with the time I have left dealers are letting me look, test drive and leave without much pressure. I'm a big Mustang fan, in fact all 4 of my previous cars have been a Mustang... buuuut, the dealer gave me a hard time coming down on the lease payments for my 2016, and with what I'm paying I know there's a lot out there. There's a good chance I'll go ahead and hop into a 2018/2019 Mustang as there are major upgrades coming to the engine, transmission, look and fuel economy, but I just want to look into everything else in my range and performance preference first.

Over the weekend I test drove an Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti (not the $80k Quadrifoglio varient :P ), incredible interior and feel, but tons of turbo lag from the engine. Also drove an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport... the salesman had me turn on some pre-collision thing while driving and then told me to pound the gas and try to crash into the car driving in front of us, to which I replied "uhh, I'm good". 

I'm looking around the $45-$50k mark (unless there are lease specials on higher priced models) with 0-60mph times of no more than 5.1-ish seconds. Thinking of checking out a bmw 240i, mercedes c-class and jaguar xe sometime in the next few weeks. Anything else?

The obvious answer for under 50k is the Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG

It's 4-door, but the power and performance for the price is phenomenal. I drove one quite hard, and was really, really impressed. It killed the mustang in handling, and it is a bit faster/ 

4 minutes ago, apoc81 said:

The obvious answer for under 50k is the Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG

With 0 options those start at 50.8k (2017) :P 

The lease offer is $560/month on one, which is more than I'm willing to pay per month on a lease. I'm sure I can get them down, but I doubt to the ~$400 area that I'm comfortable with.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

With 0 options those start at 50.8k :P 

The lease offer is $560/month on one, which is more than I'm willing to pay per month on a lease.

fair enough. Great cars though. 

My car payment is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

i would love a new Mustang GT

The 18s will be faster (expected around 470-500hp at stock) with a good 3+ mpg increase in avg gas mileage. The autos will also be offered with the new 10-speed that was co-developed by Ford and GM, in testing it outperformed Porsche's Dual-Clutch Auto.

I came really close the about 3 days ago to getting a Hellcat. There was one up in Fernley but after thinking about it I really didn't want to be filling the tank to 3 to 4 times going to Reno and back.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The 18s will be faster (expected around 470-500hp at stock) with a good 3+ mpg increase in avg gas mileage. The autos will also be offered with the new 10-speed that was co-developed by Ford and GM, in testing it outperformed Porsche's Dual-Clutch Auto.

470-500hp stock good god, I remember my dad owning a new edge 1999 GT and  those had 260 stock lol

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

With 0 options those start at 50.8k (2017) :P 

The lease offer is $560/month on one, which is more than I'm willing to pay per month on a lease. I'm sure I can get them down, but I doubt to the ~$400 area that I'm comfortable with.

Damn that's a lot each month for a car! I spent $1600 one time on a car. I will never understand leasing for the life of me! Throwing money down the drain. 

Just now, Mike said:

470-500hp stock good god, I remember my dad owning a new edge 1999 GT and  those had 260 stock lol

Yea, I had an '01 GT convertible, I modded it to around an estimated 320-ish at the fly. The current 2015+ GTs are 435hp at stock.

Just now, kittykat said:

Damn that's a lot each month for a car! I spent $1600 one time on a car. I will never understand leasing for the life of me! Throwing money down the drain. 

Except it's not, because it's lower payments than financing, and you never need to worry about maintenance or parts since you get a new car every 3 years.

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Except it's not, because it's lower payments than financing, and you never need to worry about maintenance or parts since you get a new car every 3 years.

Thats still 12,000 more than I've ever paid for a car in a three year period. And really, you don't get oil changes?

5 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Thats still 12,000 more than I've ever paid for a car in a three year period. And really, you don't get oil changes?

The dealer comps the oil changes on my leases... And I get free car washes at the dealership whenever I want (no limit).

If you're fine with a $1k car then... I'm sorry. But I'd probably be scared for my life everytime I drove something like that. :P 

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The dealer comps the oil changes on my leases... And I get free car washes at the dealership whenever I want (no limit).

If you're fine with a $1k car then... I'm sorry. But I'd probably be scared for my life everytime I drove something like that. :P 

I just wouldn't drive in a rust bucket like that. 

The car is an extension of yourself. Next to a home, it's the coolest purchase most people get to make. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I have an A4 but it's hard to suggest a car to someone when they most likely already have an idea of what they want.

The only idea I have is something fast, there's not much otherwise. That's why I'm test driving just about everything :P 

3 minutes ago, apoc81 said:

yup

Which model?

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

Tesla > your Ferrari you beta McCuck 

Only if you get a p90D or up... And then you have a $140k+ car with the interior of a $65k car so... There's that... Oh, and they handle like boats. I mean, you could get a BMW i8 for less and, while it's slower on a straight line, it handles well and looks like a hypercar :P