GuyWhoPredictsThings

Horizon Zero Dawn reviews are coming in

89 on metacritic

It received a 5/5 on Giantbomb.

Quote from the Jimquisition (95): "Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more "open sandbox" games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end. I love existing in this world - a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights."

Polygon (95): "Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz."

IGN (93): "Across a vast and beautiful open world, Horizon: Zero Dawn juggles many moving parts with polish and finesse. Its main activity - combat - is extremely satisfying thanks to the varied design and behaviors of machine-creatures that roam its lands, each of which needs to be taken down with careful consideration. Though side questing could have been more imaginative, its missions are compelling thanks to a central mystery that led me down a deep rabbit hole to a genuinely surprising - and moving - conclusion."

Gamespot (90): "Guerilla Games has delivered one of the best open-world games of this generation."

Gonna clean up the thread later, but I'm at work with stuff to do. :P

EDIT: As of 8:35am 2/20/17:

Pretty fantastic looking breakdown so far.

68 Reviews

Score - Number of Reviews
100 - 5
98 - 2
97 - 1
96 - 1
95 - 9
93 - 2
92 - 3
90 - 23
88 - 3
87 - 2
85 - 4
80 - 9
75 - 1
70 - 2
50 - 1

46/68 are 90% and above.
18/68 are 80%-88%
4/68 are 75% and below.

Eurogamer Italy (9/10): Horizon Zero Dawn is an amazing game and a gorgeous experience, crafted with elements and ideas from many other games. Despite its lack OF originality, this product from Guerrilla Games is a great piece of work.

Gameinformer (88/100): None of Horizon's faults stopped me from sinking 55 hours into the game, or walking away supremely satisfied with the experience. Horizon may not be a revolution for the open-world genre, but it is a highly polished and compelling adventure that proves Guerrilla is more than a single franchise.

Telegraph (100): On the surface, Horizon seems like a jumble of influences but, just like the murderous machina wandering its lands, the game is far more than its component parts, delivering a gripping story, satisfying combat, and the most gorgeous video game environments I’ve ever seen. Horizon confidently carves out an identity of its own in an overpopulated genre.

Playstation Lifestyle (100): Horizon Zero Dawn is an early contender for game of the year. Guerrilla Games has outdone themselves, in astounding fashion. This is a glorious game, the result of a team of masterful artisans who not only had a story that they wished to tell, but a world that was living inside of them which they wanted to share with us all. Now, we get to play inside their creation, and it is a breathtaking experience to behold. A massive, open world filled with equally massive, terrifying robots, juxtaposed against the beauty of the Earth, nature fighting back the darkness as it tends to do. Horizon Zero Dawn is the kind of game you play to get lost in, and can be enjoyed by players of all types. This could be the beginning of a stellar franchise, and there is something for everyone here. If you own a PS4, you owe it to yourself to give Horizon Zero Dawn a go.

Playstation Universe (95/100): Horizon Zero Dawn reinvigorates open-world RPGs with an excellent story, creative science fiction, and demanding gameplay. Aloy’s debut is one of PS4’s greatest games.

http://digitalchumps.com/horizon-zero-dawn/

With all this said, is this game worth you time and money? GOD, YES. Are you crazy? Honestly speaking, I didn’t expect this big of a game with HZD. I knew it was going to be pretty, like all Guerrilla Games are in their own way, but I didn’t expect the game to raise the bar with current generation games. I didn’t expect a Skyrim-esque girth to the gameplay and didn’t know that I would be pulled in so hard to the game that I’m left wanting more and more (instead of typing this review). This game is something that could potentially be used as a building block for GG to branch out to other new IP and stop using Killzone as a reason for existing (though, I wouldn’t mind another one). Horizon Zero Dawn proves that a big time developer like Guerrilla Games is more than a one-trick pony and that Sony might want to pick their brains for new and exciting titles in the very near future.

So, yes, this game is worth it. It’s more than you wanted and everything you desired out of this generation of systems. Don’t hesitate to pull the trigger on this one.

@ByWatterson

Well, good to see that the game is being reviewed well!  Didn't think it would turn out so well.  Has anyone commented on the dialogue (considering that one clip people were discussing)?

10 minutes ago, AndyD said:

Well, good to see that the game is being reviewed well!  Didn't think it would turn out so well.  Has anyone commented on the dialogue (considering that one clip people were discussing)?

Have heard a lot of positives about the story, particularly once you get a couple hours into the game. That one clip doesn't seem to be a repeat.

From one of the guys who got this game early:

"What horizon does have is giant fucking awesome robots that are like roaming boss battles all over the place. The insane emergent battles that I have been a part of are thrilling and makes me just want to spend hours doing nothing but hunting."

Pretty fantastic looking breakdown so far.

68 Reviews

Score - Number of Reviews
100 - 5
98 - 2
97 - 1
96 - 1
95 - 9
93 - 2
92 - 3
90 - 23
88 - 3
87 - 2
85 - 4
80 - 9
75 - 1
70 - 2
50 - 1

46/68 are 90% and above.
18/68 are 80%-88%
4/68 are 75% and below.

Well color me surprised. After Zelda, perhaps I'll have to check this out. Look forward to reading all of your impressions. Reading that the story is really good is very appealing.

4 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

Now it's Sucker Punch's turn to bring a critically acclaimed new IP into the mix as Naughty Dog (Last of Us) and GG (Horizon) have. And they're working on a new IP atm according to GAF's shinobi.

Waiting for a 3rd Legend of Legaia TBH