• Announcements

    • SFLUFAN

      D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,565 (as of May 15, 2017)   12/12/2016

      I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • Jason

      Update on the single-device/browser login restriction issue some people are having.   04/04/2017

      4/7/2017 update: Now people who've been affected by this are saying that it went away on its own after about a week. So I dunno, if this would really hugely inconvenience you try to not log in on additional devices/browsers until the 4.2 update that's supposed to hopefully resolve this for good.   original announcement: For a long time now, D1P has been limited to three logins at a time; logging in on a fourth device or browser would log you out everywhere else. Unfortunately, multiple people have been reporting that they've started experiencing being limited to ONE login at a time.   The good news is, Invision Power Services (the company that makes our forum software) is aware of the issue and will be addressing it in version 4.2 of the software, which is the next big update. The bad news is, they announced about a month ago (the beginning of March 2017) that the update will be coming out in "mid 2017", so we probably have at least another couple of months to go before this is resolved.   In the meantime, I apologize to those affected for the inconvenience, and would suggest to everyone else to not log in to additional devices until this is resolved if this is something you don't want to have to have to deal with. I'm still not 100% sure on why it's not affecting everyone and why it didn't hit everyone affected at the same time, but the timing of when the reports of this started here mostly lines up with when I've seen reports of other sites having this issue starting, and I suspect that the problem is trickling in because of people happening to hit a fourth login that logs them out everywhere else, and then proceeding to be limited to one login at a time after that.
    • SFLUFAN

      D1Pcast Episode 26: The Retro Show   04/19/2017

      It's time to have that talk with your kids. No not THAT talk, the talk about retro games and how much better things were back in our days! We have @Reputator join us and talk a bit about the Scorpio and some retro PC cards. [email protected] us about console retro gaming and how he just got his Super Mario USA. While @Jason tells us about the day his parents threw out all his retro consoles. A sad day for any gamer. So listen and give us your feed back about your retro gaming experience!    
CayceG

BREAKING - Trump considering mobilizing National Guard to round up illegal immigrants

234 posts in this topic

AP just tweeted this. I don't want to repost the tweet because it'll make the boards wacky. Here's the text:

 

Quote

BREAKING: Trump administration considers mobilizing as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants.

 

Now waiting for corroboration. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More:

 

Quote

A draft memo obtained by The Associated Press outlines a Trump administration proposal under consideration to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants. Millions of those who would be affected in 11 states live nowhere near the Mexico border.

 

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana. If the proposal is implemented, governors in the affected states would have final approval on whether troops under their control participate.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Christ. Fuck this man. In my community we've had ICE waves already and it's terrifying to imagine what many of these people are going through. My wife teaches in an area in my city that is largely Hispanic and parents aren't taking their kids to school in fear of them being rounded up and separated. It's awful, a crime against humanity. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Man, the media sure is talking a lot about this Russia stuff, the Congressional Black Caucus, and the anti-semitism allegations..."

 

"I think I know what we can do... Let's draft an insane memo and release it first thing Friday morning."

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the problem with this. Russia does this ALL THE TIME.

 

They release/leak an absolutely insane proposal that obviously prompts quick and fierce backlash. What Putin/the Duma actually want is only a small part of the proposal. When that is "clarified" then the public compares it to what was initially released. The public decides "this isn't so horrible then" and accepts it. 

 

This is that. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CayceG said:

"Man, the media sure is talking a lot about this Russia stuff, the Congressional Black Caucus, and the anti-semitism allegations..."

 

"I think I know what we can do... Let's draft an insane memo and release it first thing Friday morning."

 

But at the same time, having the military perform a law enforcement function is a very Donald Trump idea.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Here's the problem with this. Russia does this ALL THE TIME.

 

They release/leak an absolutely insane proposal that obviously prompts quick and fierce backlash. What Putin/the Duma actually want is only a small part of the proposal. When that is "clarified" then the public compares it to what was initially released. The public decides "this isn't so horrible then" and accepts it. 

 

This is that. 

 

You say this, but let us not forget the shit storm that was the initial travel ban a few weeks back. Full implementation without a heads up - that's what this administration is capable of. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Comet said:

Jesus Christ. Fuck this man. In my community we've had ICE waves already and it's terrifying to imagine what many of these people are going through. My wife teaches in an area in my city that is largely Hispanic and parents aren't taking their kids to school in fear of them being rounded up and separated. It's awful, a crime against humanity. 

 

I think this would be a dumb policy to implement, but come on... Crime against humanity?  That's absurd.  They are here illegally.  Mexico itself treats illegal immigrants from central America worse than we treat illegal Mexicans.  They have no more of a right to be here without authorization than I have a right to live illegally in Singapore. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mclumber1 said:

 

I think this would be a dumb policy to implement, but come on... Crime against humanity?  That's absurd.  They are here illegally.  Mexico itself treats illegal immigrants from central America worse than we treat illegal Mexicans.  They have no more of a right to be here without authorization than I have a right to live illegally in Singapore. 

 

We aren't Mexico. We don't use the armed forces to round up illegals. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

 

I think this would be a dumb policy to implement, but come on... Crime against humanity?  That's absurd.  They are here illegally.  Mexico itself treats illegal immigrants from central America worse than we treat illegal Mexicans.  They have no more of a right to be here without authorization than I have a right to live illegally in Singapore. 

What if they are parents of minors who are us citizens though? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Here's the problem with this. Russia does this ALL THE TIME.

 

They release/leak an absolutely insane proposal that obviously prompts quick and fierce backlash. What Putin/the Duma actually want is only a small part of the proposal. When that is "clarified" then the public compares it to what was initially released. The public decides "this isn't so horrible then" and accepts it. 

 

This is that. 

 

When I worked in car sales, after the test drive, right before going in to negotiate, we were trained to say something like "I haven't run your credit yet, but according to averages, your monthly payment will probably fall around [average + about 200-250$]." They always freaked out then we consoled them by saying "Well that's just the average, I'm sure we can get it lower." Called it a subliminal bump. The idea was that the maximum the customer was planning to be ok with paying for the car would bump a little bit without them even realizing it. Seems like the same concept.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CayceG said:

 

We aren't Mexico. We don't use the armed forces to round up illegals. 

 

I said it was a dumb policy.  All I was pointing out is that it isn't a crime against humanity to kick out people who are here illegally. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

We aren't Mexico. We don't use the armed forces to round up illegals. 

We do now, Amigo.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

White House spokesman was given a chance by the AP to comment on the story before publication.

 

Of course. Spicer is just an idiot.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the WH refused comment to the AP before the story hit the presses. They did that specifically so they could deny that it was real and to feed the false narrative that the press is just making shit up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

 

We aren't Mexico. We don't use the armed forces to round up illegals. 

 

This would be a Title X activation of the Guard, right? A Title X activation to round people up would DEFINITELY be beyond the pale. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What if they are parents of minors who are us citizens though? 

 

That's a good point.  I believe that congress has the power to write a law that clarifies who is and who isn't a natural born citizen.  Right now, it's unclear if the children of illegal immigrants are citizens. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Also, the WH refused comment to the AP before the story hit the presses. They did that specifically so they could deny that it was real and to feed the false narrative that the press is just making shit up.

 

Well the press does make shit up, to think otherwise is naive. I'm err'ing on the side of Spicer being a blithering idiot until it's proven otherwise. I don't think we should default to tin foil "US IS ADOPTING RUSSIAN MEDIA TACTICS"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason said:

 

This would be a Title X activation of the Guard, right? A Title X activation to round people up would DEFINITELY be beyond the pale. 

 

Maybe, but Posse Comitatus doesn't apply to the National Guard anyway. So even without Title X, I think it's more than possible to legally do this.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

Maybe, but Posse Comitatus doesn't apply to the National Guard anyway. So even without Title X, I think it's more than possible to legally do this.

 

They'd still need actual law enforcement officers with them to be "assisting". Although I wouldn't put it past these dumbshits to try to get the Guard to just do it directly. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Also, the WH refused comment to the AP before the story hit the presses. They did that specifically so they could deny that it was real and to feed the false narrative that the press is just making shit up.

Seems like the AP shouldn't tweet something like this without confirmation then. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lucian04 said:

 

Well the press does make shit up, to think otherwise is naive. I'm err'ing on the side of Spicer being a blithering idiot until it's proven otherwise. I don't think we should default to tin foil "US IS ADOPTING RUSSIAN MEDIA TACTICS"

 

It isn't adopting Russian media tactics. It's a simple tactic used by literally everyone to make the bad seem not so bad when compared to the worst. I just commented that I've seen Russia do this quite a bit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DarkStar189 said:

Seems like the AP shouldn't tweet something like this without confirmation then. 

 

AP has the memo. That's confirmation. They sought WH comment and the WH refused to answer.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

That's a good point.  I believe that congress has the power to write a law that clarifies who is and who isn't a natural born citizen.  Right now, it's unclear if the children of illegal immigrants are citizens. 

No it doesn't. The 14th amendment is quite clear on who can become a citizen:

Quote

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No it doesn't. The 14th amendment is quite clear on who can become a citizen:

 

 

Aren't they subject to the jurisdiction of the country where there parents are from?  AFAIK, a child born in America from undocumented Mexican parents is a citizen of Mexico.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

 

Aren't they subject to the jurisdiction of the country where there parents are from?  AFAIK, a child born in America from undocumented Mexican parents is a citizen of Mexico.

 

How do you not know something this basic? Mexico may consider the kids Mexican citizens but the US is relatively unique in considering EVERYONE born on US soil a citizen (so they'd have dual citizenship). 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now