Sign in to follow this  
Art Vandelay

Konami profits SKYROCKET after ditching Kojima, YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE! MKGA

It has nothing to do with Kojima, it has to do with focusing on shitty pachinko machines and shitty mobile games and gyms or whatever. Their traditional games have never been their most lucrative thing.

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It has nothing to do with Kojima, it has to do with focusing on shitty pachinko machines and shitty mobile games and gyms or whatever. Their traditional games have never been their most lucrative thing.

Bingo.

They don't make games anymore; they make cheapo mobile and pachinko games, which is why the revenue has decreased while profits have increased. Their only games are soccer, that weird MGS spin-off and... Bombergirl?

35 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

My thinking, also.:clap:

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Agreed. Look at all their different holdings, just in Japan:

Japan[edit]

• Konami Holdings Corporation
    • Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
    • Konami Sports & Life Co., Ltd.
    • Konami Amusement Co., Ltd.
    • Konami Real Estate, Inc.
    • KPE, Inc.
    • Konami Manufacturing and Service, Inc.
    • Konami Facility Service, Inc.
    • KME Co., Ltd.
    • Takasago Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
    • Hudson Soft Company, Limited: On 2011-01-20, Konami Corporation announced turning Hudson Soft Co., Ltd. as its wholly subsidiary via share exchange. The exchange became effective on 2011-04-01.[16]
    • DIGITAL GOLF Inc.: On 2011-01-20, Konami Corporation announced the acquisition of DIGITAL GOLF Inc. via share exchange. DIGITAL GOLF would become a wholly owned subsidiary of Konami Corporation. The exchange became effective on 2011-03-01.[17]
    • Internet Revolution, Inc.
    • Biz Share Corporation
    • Combi Wellness Corporation
    • THE CLUB AT YEBISU GARDEN CO., LTD.
    • Konami Holdings Corporation[18][19]

Here is their last quarter:

https://www.konami.com/ir/en/ir-data/statements/2017_3q/html/

Still make a lot off games, but MGS and Kojima were a very small slice of the pie.

Kojima had a big studio that didn't develop much. Named after himself of course, probably had a big salary to match. 

Years of work and employees being paid.

Did the money from mgs 5 recoup sunk costs?

The era of the single studio run by a game developer is over.  Just look at bioshock.

Kojima is the Hillary of Japan. 

Well the only silver lining is that the company is still afloat and that one day they will be interested in games again and also unleash their back catalog of games including all the Hudsonsoft games. I think I will be dead then.

2 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

Lots of words written to deflect that you made this thread not knowing what you were talking about.

Now I know I entered a markot thread. :sun:

I knew I entered a markot thread by the OP being filled with nonsensical ramblings that likely came from a sentient kangaroo who got it's first laptop.

48 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I knew I entered a markot thread by the OP being filled with nonsensical ramblings that likely came from a sentient kangaroo who got it's first laptop.

T^he only good things ever to come from Australia are Claudia Black, Yvonne Strahovski, and Farscape. 

When I was in Japan for four months last year, I saw the Konami logo splashed on just about every other street.

I also don't blame them for going pachinko in terms of making money. I knew pachinko was popular and all there, but actually being in Japan--- well, the reason I saw that Konami logo so much is because there are pachinko parlors fucking everywhere. Really; every two blocks, one gold-and-sparkly gambling colossus for each neighborhood. All of them are gigantic parlors that really do look fun, with a cute unique mascot and all of that.

So whatever. The core group of gamers they've got around are aging and coming to find peace in those crazy loud, smoke-filled gambling parlors. Throwing Alucard on a spinning-wheel makes sense to me. 

Personally, I didn't get pachinko--- but I also don't get gambling. Throw money in--- and there it goes! *fun?*
But the cute mascots and crazy video animations they have on those machines, even for just winning 50 yen or something, are kind of fun to watch :P 

EDIT: And if you can find an "adult" pachinko machine--- they're kind of cool too:pirate:

8 hours ago, apoc81 said:

T^he only good things ever to come from Australia are Claudia Black, Yvonne Strahovski, and Farscape. 

Nicole Kidman doe.

14 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

Lots of words written to deflect that you made this thread not knowing what you were talking about.

Now I know I entered a markot thread. :sun:

Very low energy.