therockdltj

PS 4 HUGE system update!!!!!!

34 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't have that particular one but I've got plenty of other WD externals. I usually prefer them over seagate and also like that hard drive because you don't have to power it externally. I have a 2 TB Passport for my xbone.

I didn't know 4tb drives existed that didn't need an external power supply. I probably would have gone that way but oh well.

On 3/9/2017 at 5:50 PM, Biggie_Rich said:

What size HDD do you have?

2 TB. All my crap just barely fit with 86 GB remaining. But I still have the 400+ in the PS4.

23 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't have that particular one but I've got plenty of other WD externals. I usually prefer them over seagate and also like that hard drive because you don't have to power it externally. I have a 2 TB Passport for my xbone.

This may come off as stupid but please educate me. Power externally? Please explain the difference. I'm a noob when it comes to these external drives. 

Watched 10 minutes of Moana 3D Blu-ray on the PSVR.  Turned the screen size up to max.  It was pretty nice.  Went through my BD collection to see what other 3D BD's I own.  I have 8 total without ever deliberately buying one.  I always get the steelbook cases for movies I'm going to buy if it's an option.  Sometimes the steelbook is the version that comes with the 3D BD copy.  Some others I own because the version that came with the 3D copy happened to be on sale/cheaper than the one without a 3D copy.  Either way, I'm happy I have them now.

Moana

The Wolverine

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America Civil War

Avengers Age of Ultron

Jupiter Ascending

Independence Day Resurgence

The Wizard of Oz

6 minutes ago, Biggie_Rich said:

This may come off as stupid but please educate me. Power externally? Please explain the difference. I'm a noob when it comes to these external drives. 

some external drives require a separate power cord that need to be plugged in and other are usb powered

9 minutes ago, Biggie_Rich said:

Some external hard drives come with a power cord and plug into a wall socket for power.  Some draw power over USB.  Some draw power over dual USB cords. A lot of USB 3.0 HDD's don't require a wall socket power cord. 

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

some external drives require a separate power cord that need to be plugged in and other are usb powered

Appreciate the info. Think I'll order the one @Keyser_Soze recommended. Going with the 4TB in white. 

Just now, nacthenud said:

Some external hard drives come with a power cord and plug into a wall socket for power.  Some draw power over USB.  Some draw power over dual USB cords. A lot of USB 3.0 HDD's don't require an wall socket power cord. 

So this will work with the PS4 correct?

1 hour ago, Biggie_Rich said:

Some drives get their power through the USB. You put a USB cable from the console to the drive, and it works.

Others have their own power-supply/adaptor that you have to plug into a wall or plug-in strip to make the drive run AND the USB to transfer data.

It just did the update.  I probably won't be using the external HDD thing anytime soon since I still have about 1.5TB left internally.

Wait, so by custom wallpaper you can only use screenshots you've taken? that's so dumb. I was trying to use a picture I have and I didnt see any way to get it as my wallpaper. I even tried to screenshot the picture through the media player app but it doesn't let you screenshot. 

4 hours ago, johnny said:

Wait, so by custom wallpaper you can only use screenshots you've taken? that's so dumb. I was trying to use a picture I have and I didnt see any way to get it as my wallpaper. I even tried to screenshot the picture through the media player app but it doesn't let you screenshot. 

Oh so they finally caught up to the Xbone? :]

I've been using this Orchid wallpaper since forever!

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What are the read speeds on that WD hdd? You may be better off with a dock and 7200rpm drive.

Dunno. When it comes to shit like this you might as well be speaking Chinese. :P 

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What are the read speeds on that WD hdd? You may be better off with a dock and 7200rpm drive.

According to the Q&A section on Amazon 5400 but chances are he probably won't even know the difference. It's more of a storage issue than a playing a game issue than anything.

And at least PS4 is USB 3.0!

8 hours ago, Biggie_Rich said:

Dunno. When it comes to shit like this you might as well be speaking Chinese. :P 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

According to the Q&A section on Amazon 5400 but chances are he probably won't even know the difference. It's more of a storage issue than a playing a game issue than anything.

And at least PS4 is USB 3.0!

A 7200rpm drive would noticeably decrease load times. Someone did a test with Xbone externals awhile back. USB 3.0 is fast enough to utilize the difference between a 5400 and 7200rpm drive.

12 hours ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Wish there was a USB port on the back of the PS4 but I can't complain. We have the ability to have more PS4 storage now.

PS4 Pro has one on the back :sun: 

Just one though, so I'd have to choose which wire is showing in the front between an external hdd and my PSVR :sadsun: 

I have yet to get a PS4, but I am thinking of getting one sometime this year. When it comes to the external HDD, when I download a game will it ask me if I want to pick which HDD or will it automatically download to the system, then I can transfer it to the external drive? Sorry for the dumb question, I just want be up to date when my time come to buy.

4 hours ago, JayTheToothlessNerd said:

I have yet to get a PS4, but I am thinking of getting one sometime this year. When it comes to the external HDD, when I download a game will it ask me if I want to pick which HDD or will it automatically download to the system, then I can transfer it to the external drive? Sorry for the dumb question, I just want be up to date when my time come to buy.

when you add the external drive that becomes the default download location, but you are able to change that if you want