• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $840 (as of 06 February)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
therockdltj

PS 4 HUGE system update!!!!!!

82 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2017 at 7:18 PM, EternallDarkness said:

need to pry off the cover and requires a screwdriver ...easy sure...as easy and plug and play? No

It is as easy as installing an sd card in the new 3DS.

So this is great and all, but I'm wondering if now that Sony has made the PS4 capable of recognizing external hard drives if it will recognize media drives as well, or if we will have to format it for specific use as a PS4 drive and nothing else. 

I have a 4TB external dedicated to my XBO, but I can still plug in my 2TB and watch movies off of it. This didn't work on my PS4.

5 hours ago, Rodimus said:

It is as easy as installing an sd card in the new 3DS.

I assume the installing the HDD on a PS4 isn't the hard part but rather if you want to upgrade your HDD after you already filled up the one inside. Transferring your games I heard can take a while and is a pain. Where now with external HDD support you can add more space by simply plugging in a new HDD and not have to worry about transferring anything.

Digital Foundry has a new video showing Boost vs stock on quite a few games.

Glad I upgraded to the PS4 Pro then... won't say it justifies the money, but it will be a nice update if they push this through.

I expect with time they will further modify this "feature" giving us a slightly bigger performance boost as well.  

Also, Knack apparently runs at 36 FPS on PS4, 42 FPS on PS4 Pro Boost and 55 FPS on PS4 with the patch.  So a nice little boost for nothing.  I suspect Frame Minimums are probably benefiting more than Frame Maximums, which can be more important.. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-ps4-pro-boost-mode-tested-a-game-changer-for-unpatched-titles

I would suspect that the Scorpio will probably have something like this as a feature as well.

I don't know enough about Console programming to understand if they could get more out of this feature.  One would suspect they could... but perhaps the systems are just frame locked and programmed in such a way that you can't really do much.

Kind of sad, but may be great for the future.

I think console "generations" will be a thing of the past anyways, so if that is true, one could hope that in the future, as new consoles come out and play old games, we will be able to change resolution, some graphics features and maybe even from 30 to 60 FPS.... 

kinda like a PC ;)

6 minutes ago, Mithan said:

I would suspect that the Scorpio will probably have something like this as a feature as well.

I don't know enough about Console programming to understand if they could get more out of this feature.  One would suspect they could... but perhaps the systems are just frame locked and programmed in such a way that you can't really do much.

Kind of sad, but may be great for the future.

I think console "generations" will be a thing of the past anyways, so if that is true, one could hope that in the future, as new consoles come out and play old games, we will be able to change resolution, some graphics features and maybe even from 30 to 60 FPS.... 

kinda like a PC ;)

Currently on the Xbox One S it has a 7% increase on it's GPU Clock speed over the fatty Xbox One and improves framerates on all games that don't have locked frame rates. So i'm hoping that the Scorpio is designed with this in mind.

Just now, The def star said:

Currently on the Xbox One S it has a 7% increase on it's GPU Clock speed over the fatty Xbox One and improves framerates on all games that don't have locked frame rates. So i'm hoping that the Scorpio is designed with this in mind.

Yes, I was aware of that, and suspect Scorpio will do that, as it is designed to be 100% fully backwards compatible.

I still think console makers need to give users more options for tweaking games in the future, as this is going to become more important.

Manipulating graphics settings on consoles(even if basic and global) has been a long time coming.

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

Manipulating graphics settings on consoles(even if basic and global) has been a long time coming.

Nintendo already did that 18 years ago with the expansion pack.

81iy3jSkEoL._SX522_.jpg

Speaking of performance increase and this may be OT, but what if your HDTV has a 240hz refresh rate. Wouldn't turning this setting on allow games to run higher than their native framerate? Seems like the TV would kind of force this through it's own hardware.

The digital foundry analysis was awesome.  This is what I was hoping the ps4 would do.  As  a new pro owner who didn't have a ps4 before I am stoked.  

21 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Digital Foundry has a new video showing Boost vs stock on quite a few games.

I saw that yesterday. Up until that video I thought "I can live with the base PS4". Now I'm thinking "How do I justify a Pro purchase?" :lol:

The only think keeping me from grabbing a Pro is that I want a better TV first. 

3 hours ago, madmankevin said:

I saw that yesterday. Up until that video I thought "I can live with the base PS4". Now I'm thinking "How do I justify a Pro purchase?" :lol:

And you can sell your OG PS4 to offset the upgrade cost! :P 

I'm thinking of selling my Slim to a friend and grabbing the Pro in a couple weeks. I'll wait until awhile after the Switch release since I'll be focused on playing that anyway.

On 2/9/2017 at 2:49 AM, Dre801 said:

Sega did it even sooner with the RAM Cartridge.

Even the Sega CD, 32X, 64 DD and Atari Jaguar CD basically had the same goal which was to extend the life cycle of the current system generation.

I've been looking out for good deals on 3D Blurays because people in the beta are saying the 3D is soo much better on PSVR then on a TV :)

On 2/14/2017 at 7:31 PM, DPCyric said:

I've been looking out for good deals on 3D Blurays because people in the beta are saying the 3D is soo much better on PSVR then on a TV :)

I forgot about that feature. I need to buy some 3D blu rays to try!  Looking on Amazon I see they have Pacific Rim 3D blu ray for $12.69 and Dredd 3D blu ray for $5.12. Buying those now just to have something.