Sign in to follow this  
GuyWhoPostsThings

Halo Wars 2 has gone gold

3 hours ago, number305 said:

I'm not sure if it's just me or if there is some weird filter on that image... but it looks like every single person in that picture was Photoshoped in.

Yeah Isabel looks totally photoshopped in!

I don't mind running through RTS games every once in awhile, but I just couldn't do it with the original Halo Wars. Its doubtful I'll buy this, but I might.

4 hours ago, Nokt said:

I don't mind running through RTS games every once in awhile, but I just couldn't do it with the original Halo Wars. Its doubtful I'll buy this, but I might.

You should try it for Blitz mode, it's an interesting twist on RTS.

23 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should try it for Blitz mode, it's an interesting twist on RTS.

Just tried a couple rounds. It's actually pretty fucking awesome.

I like the normal mode from HW1, but I think blitz mode will be great for people who don't like that resource management bullshit. It puts you right into the action immediately, and does not relent ever. Add to that the whole deck system and card pack openings (people eat that shti up), and I think this game will do a lot better than HW1 did.

I'm going to play it. Sucks ME:A is a bit over a month after HW2 release tho

I preordered the Ultimate Edition from the Xbox Store and it said it would come up the Halo Wars Definitive Edition. I assumed that I'd get the code early for the original one and could play that until launch, but I have not received any code for the Definitive Edition yet. Has anyone else purchased this? Will I need to wait for Halo Wars 2 to come out before I'll be able to play the original?

8 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I downloaded the Blitz beta. I don't like cards in an RTS. But it looked great and the gameplay outside of the cards was solid.

Seemed to me like whomever lost the first encounter lost the match.

But thats only based on 4 games and not knowing what anything does lol. But still. Seems like it'd be difficult to recover from lost battles. If so, yawn. I'll pass

Not being able to at least play a few games to get a feel for the game sucks. Getting stomped by try hard nerds who've been playing since the start 24/7  when you're just trying to learn how to play isn't fun

11 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Does "Going Gold" mean anything anymore?

Or is it, "we passed cert" and are now working on the D1P.

Gold means production copy. Doesn't mean no patches required. :P 

1 hour ago, Runny said:

Seemed to me like whomever lost the first encounter lost the match.

I think it depends on your deck. If you have a bunch of high energy cards you can't stack the territories as fast.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think it depends on your deck. If you have a bunch of high energy cards you can't stack the territories as fast.

Yeah.....No. whoever wins usually still has quite a few troops left, the means to capture more energy, can go to base to recover to full health and still gaining as much passive energy as you.

It's a 3 minute match that lasts 10-15 :P

19 minutes ago, Runny said:

Yeah.....No. whoever wins usually still has quite a few troops left, the means to capture more energy, can go to base to recover to full health and still gaining as much passive energy as you.

It's a 3 minute match that lasts 10-15 :P

no u r rong

ead!

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

no u r rong

ead!

NO! I will not eat a dick.

We will see when the game releases and I learn how to play. But based on what I played, I'd probably stick to basic MP

Had no interest in this game, but tried this Beta.   Loved the instant action, 3 v 3 brawl mode was great giving support and helping save my teammates when all looked lost. 

I used to love RTS Games, but haven't gotten into one in awhile.   Really looking into this now. 

This is a match I had a little bit ago.  It was 2 v 2, but my teammate quit almost immediately after he lost his first little battle.  I thought I had it won, but I forgot that having a spot even a little bit contested stops you from getting points.  So the final flurry against me, I should've focused on killing the enemies on the point first, to keep control.  I didn't realize I was giving up points because both my points were contested and they owned 1 until it was too late.  Oh well, I am still loving this mode.  Definitely leaning towards a purchase.  

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JPDunks4/video/26171692

I am a little worried though that those that buy packs, cause of course that'll be an option, will have an advantage, because as you get duplicates of cards in packs, they level up that card.  So if you get 2 more of a Warthog card,it levels up your Wart Hogs to Lvl 2 Warthogs, which are slightly more powerful.  It also made a 3 v 3 I played, where it  was a Lvl 18, 10, and 1 vs a Lvl 10, 4, and 1, and we pulled of the win, that much sweeter.   Cause that Lvl 18 definitely had a leg up on us.  

Screenshot original

I finally tried the Blitz beta and came away not a fan of it. I much prefer the slower standard matches. Half the time I didn't know what was going on. Also a lot of strategy as I can tell depended on the cards you have available. Maybe someone can explain it to me better. The first match I played after the tutorial me an my friend lost it in like 3 min. The second the other team had a Scarab 3min into the game so again we lost shortly after.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I finally tried the Blitz beta and came away not a fan of it. I much prefer the slower standard matches. Half the time I didn't know what was going on. Also a lot of strategy as I can tell depended on the cards you have available. Maybe someone can explain it to me better. The first match I played after the tutorial me an my friend lost it in like 3 min. The second the other team had a Scarab 3min into the game so again we lost shortly after.

I didn't own the original Halo Wars, so this game is pretty new to me.  I did try the Halo Wars 2 alpha or beta earlier, but only played a match or two.  

I really enjoy this mode, so much so that I actually did buy it.  I feel it's a pretty cool twist on this style of game.  I know you are familiar with Halo Wars in general, so I figured it'd be pretty easy to pick up and play.

The games typically only last 5-10 minutes, but there is definitely back and forth gameplay, and strategy to be used.   I've been in games where we were down 100-0 and things looked bleak, but a few well placed attacks with some cards to aid us, and we turned things around completely.  Some games are complete landslides, but I assume that is more to do with teammates and anything else.  

The cards definitely play into how you play, but not to such an extreme that any side would be at an overwhelming advantage.   If you play a card, it can come back up immediately, so its not like you play it and it's gone.  Obv you have the pool of energy to use to play the cards, and every time those energy beacons drop, if you collect them, they don't give you energy immediately, but just increase the rate at which you generate energy.  If someone had a Scarab in their inital draw of cards, they could sit back and do nothing really until they accumulate 300 energy, and play it.  The Scarab/Condor are basically like playing an Ult, they can be devastating, but they self destruct after about a minute of being on the battlefield.  So if anyone does play one, just retreat if you can, and wait until it disappears.  The fact they spent 300 early means they prob don't have many other units, which should put you at an advantage.  

I find the biggest key is just always be aware of the map.  Most people seem to send their entire force wherever they go, so dont be afraid to retreat to your teammates, and leave one faster unit thats able to hop back on a  point to capture it if they do completely abandon it.  

My main issue right now is with balancing, the "bad guys", whatever they are called, seem to have way way more range than the "good guys".  The weapons are fairly weak, but they can drive around at huge ranges just constantly plucking health from your units, and its pretty touch to combat.  A lot of units have special abilities too that you need to learn, like deploying a unit so they become stationary long range turrets.  A lot of little things that can really change the way a match plays out if you understand the cards and can catch your enemy not paying attention.  

Standard mode is more methodical. I didn't know that the big units ultimately disappear after a certain amount of time. I'm use to the rock, paper, scissor aspect to the game that I have to figure out which units are best for what. In Halo Wars 1 Locust were mainly for buildings and in this one it doesn't seem to be the case because in Blitz there aren't any building to destroy really. I have to get familiar to what counters what.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't replace the traditional RTS game modes, I just welcome it as something different that's really quick.   I think I kinda lost interest in RTS over the years cause if the length some matches could take. These quick 5/10 minute matches are perfect for every I was looking for. 

I am excited to finally try the original Halo Wars as well though. Growing up, C&C were my favorite games, so I'm kind of looking forward to diving back into one. 

Blitz takes the S out of RTS, as you can't plan efficiently for what you will draw or manage your resources for such, or construct units to counteract what your opponent is building after you scout him out. It's just a jumbled mess of action where you just select all and then move them to where everybody is shooting each other over and over.

While that's mostly true, that's also seeing a lot of people that are new to the game trying it out, and not totally understanding what they are doing.

I've played in quit a few matches that get ended by the timer because of the back and forth that is going on, and the tactics being used.  Knowing that just simply having someone on a point to contest it stops them from getting points and could help you pull out a victory, or redrawing cards to try to get a specific super type card that can help you in a big battle.  It's not the same as your typical base building mode, but to say there is no strategy involved isn't quite right either.  I've seen quite a few different types of strategies and team builds from my short time with the game.  Once you get more cards and can build them a bit more uniquely, I think we'll see even more strategy.

I do need to dive deeper into the controls, and if you can favorite certain units, ect.  Cause that'd go a long way in helping me play better.  

Yeah I was exaggerating a bit. But the biggest strategy elements are gone. Don't know if this has been posted here but I love this trailer.

I love the Halo universe and this game looks to be expanding it. Can't wait to play the campaign.

Blitz requires a different type of strategy. Not my cup of tea but if it brings in players thato normally wouldn't play an RTS I'm all for it. I will most likely stick with the standard mode but glad there is something for people who don't wish to invest in 20-40min games :P

It's a point capture game with the thrill of drawing cards from a deck. Something you can do quick without a lot of time dedication.