Jason

“Are we living in Nazi Germany?” Trump asks in response to “leak”

4 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

I don't think he understands how Nazi Germany operated.

Yeah, there was a different type of shower for people who accused Hitler of enjoying golden showers.

I really have no idea what connection he's trying to even make here.

How is this document leaking to the press in any way similar to living in Nazi Germany?

Hasn't it been proven that it wasn't even the intelligence community who leaked it? This report was just mentioned in their intelligence briefing as a thing that exists. It's not the lynch pin of their findings. It's just another thing.

It was supposedly leaked by some third party. And even if it wasn't, guess what, maybe it's not a good idea to piss in the eye of the largest, most well-oiled and somewhat morally shady intelligence organization in the world. Don't piss off those guys. Bad career move. The only thing dumber would be to also declare war on the entire media industry...

I was very confused by this tweet. How is a leak to the free press anything like Nazi Germany?

My best guess is that Trump sees himself as being persecuted as no one has been persecuted since the Holocaust. Yes, this poor man, a simple billionaire elected to lead the free world, can only compare his suffering some bad press to the plight of a people facing genocide.

QUESTION: The tweet that you had this morning about are we living in Nazi Germany, what were you driving at there? What are you trying to tell the American public?

TRUMP: I think it was disgraceful — disgraceful that the intelligence agencies allowed any information that turned out to be so false and fake out. I think it’s a disgrace, and I say that — and I say that, and that’s something that Nazi Germany would have done and did do. I think it’s a disgrace that information that was false and fake and never happened got released to the public.

As far as Buzzfeed, which is a failing pile of garbage, writing it, I think they’re going to suffer the consequences. They already are. And as far as CNN going out of their way to build it up — and by the way, we just found out I was coming down. Michael Cohen — I was being — Michael Cohen is a very talented lawyer. He’s a good lawyer in my firm. It was just reported that it wasn’t this Michael Cohen they we’re talking about. So all night long it’s Michael Cohen.

I said, “I want to see your passport.” He brings his passport to my office. I say, hey, wait a minute. He didn’t leave the country. He wasn’t out of the country. They had Michael Cohen of the Trump Organization was in Prague. It turned out to be a different Michael Cohen. It’s a disgrace what took place. It’s a disgrace and I think they ought to apologize to start with Michael Cohen.

QUESTION: Since you’re attacking us, can you give us a question? Mr. President-elect —

TRUMP: Go ahead.

QUESTION: Mr. President-elect, since you are attacking our news organization...

TRUMP: Not you.

QUESTION: Can you give us a chance?

TRUMP: Your organization is terrible.

QUESTION: You are attacking our news organization, can you give us a chance to ask a question, sir? Sir, can you...

TRUMP: Quiet.

QUESTION: Mr. President-elect, can you say...

TRUMP: He’s asking a question, don’t be rude. Don’t be rude.

QUESTION: Can you give us a question since you’re attacking us? Can you give us a question?

TRUMP: Don’t be rude. No, I’m not going to give you a question. I’m not going to give you a question.

QUESTION: Can you state...

TRUMP: You are fake news. Go ahead.

QUESTION: Sir, can you state categorically that nobody — no, Mr. President-elect, that’s not appropriate.

that the intelligence agencies allowed any information that turned out to be so false and fake out. I think it’s a disgrace, and I say that — and I say that, and that’s something that Nazi Germany would have done and did do. I think it’s a disgrace that information that was false and fake and never happened got released to the public.

I still think his feeling persecuted is what made him send the tweet in the first place, but I can't parse out what he's saying here.

Let's assume that this document is entirely baseless, all lies and slander. It gets brought too some intelligence agencies, who deem it worth briefing the president about. How exactly is it their responsibility to prevent that document's dissemination? If it's all BS, and it's not a document produced by US intelligence agencies, I don't see how it's their responsibility to keep it hidden?

Then, how in the world does that relate to the Nazis? Did the SS have a habit failing to suppressing false information? I thought the Nazis were pretty well known for rather the opposite.

I know it's pointless to dissect the words of this man, but I don't even understand what he's getting at.

The Anti-Defamation League LOVED that tweet by Trump.

"The Anti-Defamation League has always has maintained that glib comparisons to Nazi Germany are offensive and a trivialization of the Holocaust."

You guys are thinking about it a little too hard. Trump made the comparison because the Jews were persecuted, and now he's being persecuted. Simple as that.

One interesting takeaway I would point out is in what this reveals about Trump's mindset about being president. He is now, perhaps unhyperbolically, the most powerful man in the world. But he still sees himself as the poor victim buffeted by forces out of his control.

The celebration rallies already indicated this was going to happen. We have a man so insecure in the White House that his first instinct when anything bad happens is to whine about how he's the victim. A dangerous byproduct of that is that it's also the mindset of someone who insists on ever more power. He's president.....but that's not enough. When the press dings him, he wants to shut down the press. Expect that to be a theme throughout his whole presidency.