osxmatt

Senior US intellgience officials presented classified Russian hacking report to Trump and Obama last week that shows Russia has compromising personal and financial info on Trump.

Just now, CayceG said:

If you don't quite understand the logic of it, then I welcome you to the world of Kremlinology.

Perhaps. 

Maybe it comes from a time when, as I believe the credible intelligence has suggested, the Russians were more interested in confusing the election rather than specifically pushing Trump(which came later).

But if this is linked to an actual, factual MI6 agent, doesn't it suggest there has to be some non-Russian aspect of it? In terms of disinformation, Europe would have an interest in discrediting a candidate backed by Russia, a country with great interest in weakening NATO.

Whether or not anything in this "report" is true or not is completely and totally irrelevant.

It has already served Moscow's purposes well enough by sowing even more chaos in the already-reeling American institutions which is an of itself a "victory" for the Kremlin.

Seeing as how we're a videogame board, I leave you with this:

Let's start with what we know: It was definitely originally compiled by a former British intelligence agent, this report, a former MI6 man. He did it for what's known as an opposition research company in Washington DC. It's a company I know quite well and have visited often. They were working first of all for Jeb Bush's superpac as it's called in the Republican primaries and then for an anonymous Democratic party donor. The allegations themselves are extremely lurid and out of fairness to Mr Trump and anyone under the age of 18 watching I don't think we should relay them. But here's the crucial point: I was able to send a message into the CIA at the beginning of November to ask them about these allegations. It was illegal for any official to talk to me about them but I got a message back through an intermediary with said the allegations were regarded as credible, and more than that, there was more than a single source for them, not just this MI6 man. There was supposedly more than one tape, not just video but audio, more than one date, and not just in Moscow but in St Petersburg as well. Now obviously if the Russians have blackmail material on Mr Trump they're hardly going to release it, so these are necessarily allegations, but they are allegations that are regarded as credible - that's not the same as saying accurate - but they are regarded as credible by the US intelligence community.

17 minutes ago, elbobo said:

So is this all a bunch of nothing then? 

Could be partisan, but shouldn't be too hard to verify. Trump was either told or not told about this in the briefing. If he was, and this source is covering, than we'll almost certainly hear a counter source say so.

That said, this seems very plausible and is an embarrassing rationale for those of us who argued it's inclusion spoke to it's credibility. It may have been included specifically as a stick to poke Trump about the dangers of accepting dubious claims.

The blind mystic who predicted that Obama would be the last President

EDIT:  I just want to be clear here, I really want there to be no big calamity or disaster happen in 2017, because the Nintendo Switch is supposed to be released on March 17th.  If the US/World goes to hell in a hand basket on or around inauguration day, we probably won't get the new Nintendo. 

Priorities?

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Could be partisan, but shouldn't be too hard to verify. Trump was either told or not told about this in the briefing. If he was, and this source is covering, than we'll almost certainly hear a counter source say so.

That said, this seems very plausible and is an embarrassing rationale for those of us who argued it's inclusion spoke to it's credibility. It may have been included specifically as a stick to poke Trump about the dangers of accepting dubious claims.

Thats the thing if all the more out there accusations were in the report to purely to say "here is the type of stuff that people are making up about you" and now everyone is running with it as if it were real verified intelligence then this whole thing is just a giant fucking mess. 

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let's start with what we know: It was definitely originally compiled by a former British intelligence agent, this report, a former MI6 man. He did it for what's known as an opposition research company in Washington DC. It's a company I know quite well and have visited often. They were working first of all for Jeb Bush's superpac as it's called in the Republican primaries and then for an anonymous Democratic party donor. The allegations themselves are extremely lurid and out of fairness to Mr Trump and anyone under the age of 18 watching I don't think we should relay them. But here's the crucial point: I was able to send a message into the CIA at the beginning of November to ask them about these allegations. It was illegal for any official to talk to me about them but I got a message back through an intermediary with said the allegations were regarded as credible, and more than that, there was more than a single source for them, not just this MI6 man. There was supposedly more than one tape, not just video but audio, more than one date, and not just in Moscow but in St Petersburg as well. Now obviously if the Russians have blackmail material on Mr Trump they're hardly going to release it, so these are necessarily allegations, but they are allegations that are regarded as credible - that's not the same as saying accurate - but they are regarded as credible by the US intelligence community.

Interesting.

We'll have to see how this all plays out.

It's worth mentioning that whatever else the effects, this has kind of reignited any small reduction in tension between Trump and the intelligence community.

Kind of hidden in his outraged Godwin Tweets is that he is explicitly blaming them and accusing them of attacking and trying to discredit him.

It almost seems like the facts are irrelevant at this point, but it's worth pointing out that if the provenance of this report are anything like reported.....than the intelligence community has virtually nothing to do with it being leaked or known. This was collected by someone else, it was floating around, and the only thing they did was include in their brief(and even if the source positive towards Trump is to be believed, it was not included with a nefarious purpose, but simply as an example to Trump).

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

And the report says the hookers PERFORMED a golden shower FOR HIM. Not ON him. 

So I could see him watching this all happen. 

Important distinction :P 

C15pdNTWEAIV_XW.jpg

If true, this would mean the reports were given to briefers to use as an example of intel that cannot be verified. It would mean they were not presented as intel. In fact, it seems they weren't presented to Trump at all.

the fuck, so this is really all built around unvetted disinformation that was never meant to viewed as real intelligence and the media just ran with it? 

Just now, elbobo said:

the fuck, so this is really all built around unvetted disinformation that was never meant to viewed as real intelligence and the media just ran with it? 

Possibly, but now CNN and BBC say they have secondary sources that support some of the info (about blackmail videos and audio).

These documents were compiled by the former Mi6 agent, and most likely some of it is completely false, and possibly some of it is true.

2 minutes ago, elbobo said:

That's not confirmed either. 

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Trump's press guy just called CNN and Buzzfeed sad and pathetic while introducing Trump. Apparently Trump's attorney will also be speaking today?

Cohen? I fucking hope so.

They have a table next to the podium that is covered in manila folders. I wonder what's in there...

lol Trump starts by saying he used to give so many press conferences, but stopped because the media covered him with misinformation.

Wow, just said that the leak yesterday was maybe released by the intelligence agencies, and is disgraceful.

Just said the media hasn't covered him well over the years.

He says his opinion of all the news organizations that didn't cover the leak has gone up a notch, that they are professional, just so professional.

10 minutes ago, elbobo said:

That's what happened with Clinton and emails or really all of her non-scandals.