osxmatt

Senior US intellgience officials presented classified Russian hacking report to Trump and Obama last week that shows Russia has compromising personal and financial info on Trump.

If the CIA thought that it was worth briefing Obama and Trump on this, I feel like there must be something there. That's not to say I believe every word, I certainly don't, but you don't brief the president because some loon is passing around some homemade BS. As to what in that series of documents holds water, we may never know, but it certainly seems like it's more than just Buzzfeed taking this seriously.

We don't know the briefing covers this in a "this is out there, so watch out and be prepared for it" way, or in a "this is also considered intelligence, but we can't source it and it isn't verified. We won't normally bring you this stuff" king of way. 

-------------------------

A Russian tech entrepreneur implicated in the report as having been instrumental in some of the hacking efforts is denying that he was approached or contacted, or that he had anything to do with this. 

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article125910774.html

Though, he does say he has 75,000 servers and would know if any of them would be hacked. That sounds like a stretch to me. 

But this is another Russian that is denying their involvement. 

I was trying to put my finger on just why Trump's treatment of CNN bothered me so much today.

I mean, sure, it looks bad for a president to intimidate a news agency by black listing them for reporting unfavorable news about them. But it's not like Trump hasn't been personally insulting the news for the better part of the year.

What bothered me is that I think we may have seen the first concrete example of how Trump is going to act as president under pressure.

I have been saying for a while that Trump supporters who scoff at things like Muslim registries or camps are looking at things too one dimensionally. Is Trump going to take office and immediately, the same day, say we round them up? Probably not.

But his unhinged reaction to what is, at its core, essentially just a run of the mill unflattering story that all presidents at one time or another have had to face gives me chills to think about his reaction to the first inevitable Islamic terrorist attack that happens under him

1 hour ago, JohnMatrix said:

But ... If Trump is vindicated on these charges, which is entirely possible, won't he come out looking even "better" than he did before them?

Also, who looks worse after this entire debacle?  The Press or Trump?

No president that responds to piss rumors comes out looking better than anything.  

These pissing allegations are absurd and ridiculous.  Not the point.  The point is that he poked the most well-connected, plugged-in, government-undermining organization in the WORLD.  They poke back.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's like accusing another politician of being a pig fucker. 

The famous LBJ story is exactly what I thought of when considering the question.

People who despair at Trump being Teflon Don should go look at his approval ratings. They are historically low, have been getting even worse, and aren't looking to get much better after this news.

If he keeps this up, even the quirks of the EC and the perfect storm of clusterfucks aren't going to be anywhere close to enough to get him another term.

16 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

If he keeps this up, even the quirks of the EC and the perfect storm of clusterfucks aren't going to be anywhere close to enough to get him another term.

Too far away to worry about.

More important is the reality that most successful presidents accomplish their signature legislative agenda items in the first two years:

Reagan - Tax cuts, military spending
Bush - Tax cuts, NCLB

Obama - Stimulus, ACA

LBJ - CRA, VRA

Etc.  If Trump's approval is consistently below 40%, as it looks like could happen, I don't care who has control of Congress; he will be calling no shots of any kind.  It's not like congressmen don't know the president's party loses seats in the midterms.

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's like accusing another politician of being a pig fucker. 

Exactly.  Make the sonofabitch deny it.

But Trump is not any politician.  He's going to be PRESIDENT.  Just ignore this shit, do your job.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Be sure to google "Chris Steele Golden Shower" to find some really compelling information on the case.

Safe search must be off for this sensitive info.

Could you just imagine if this piss story came out as true, and Trump gets taken down by a piss sex tape, after calling Alicia Mochado disgusting for having a sex tape that didn't exist!?

Oh sweet Jesus the irony! He projects a lot, so him complaining about her being disgusting for getting fat and having a sex tape (which she didn't), would have just been him projecting his own disgust with himself!

God I wish this story was true, even though I know it isn't. 

9 minutes ago, ort said:

A secretly recorded sex tape isn't really something you can hold against someone.

Even if there is urine involved? 

I honestly wish that the sex tape angle was not part of the dossier. It's the sort of garbage salacious nonsense that get latched on to while the far more serious stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

14 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I honestly wish that the sex tape angle was not part of the dossier. It's the sort of garbage salacious nonsense that get latched on to while the far more serious stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

While true, I'll take any ammonia-scented red herring that brings him closer to a shortened first term.

34 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh of course, I just find it hilarious. 

47 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

On the contrary the sex stuff seems to be what finally got people to fucking pay attention.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I agree... That stuff makes the more troubling stuff easier to dismiss.  Even if its proven that he paid prostitutes to pee in him, does anyone give a shit really?

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree... That stuff makes the more troubling stuff easier to dismiss.  Even if its proven that he paid prostitutes to pee in him, does anyone give a shit really?

Yes. It's a salient gross thing that everyone can share regarding him and do so in terms that match their vulgar feelings toward him. It's an easy way to fight back; like the Santorum thing only it gets to Trump more and it's more important to get to him.

And, again, I don't think you can extricate the pee thing from the Russian thing. The more real the pee thing becomes the more accepted the Russian interference becomes.

After having reflected on the information for 24 hours, I believe the only thing people should take away is there is enough impropriety between Trump and Russia to warrant the heads of the FBI, CIA, NSA and NI to brief Trump and Obama on the matter.

So he won't release his tax returns, won't blind trust his businesses, and is probably literally in debt up to his ears with Russia since no American banks would touch him. 

How is this not a bigger problem and how is anyone on either side of the aisle not thinking, "you're done, you're not president anymore"? He hasn't been inaugurated yet, is there some other way of ousting him besides impeachment?

10 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

So he won't release his tax returns, won't blind trust his businesses, and is probably literally in debt up to his ears with Russia since no American banks would touch him. 

How is this not a bigger problem and how is anyone on either side of the aisle not thinking, "you're done, you're not president anymore"? He hasn't been inaugurated yet, is there some other way of ousting him besides impeachment?

But Hillary Clinton's foundation treats AIDS in the developing world.

So James Clapper just confirmed he did deliver the two page summary to Donald Trump??

DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE
WASHINGTON, DC  20511

January 11, 2017

DNI Clapper Statement on Conversation with President-elect Trump

This evening, I had the opportunity to speak with President-elect Donald Trump to discuss recent media reports about our briefing last Friday. I expressed my profound dismay at the leaks that have been appearing in the press, and we both agreed that they are extremely corrosive and damaging to our national security.

We also discussed the private security company document, which was widely circulated in recent months among the media, members of Congress and Congressional staff even before the IC became aware of it. I emphasized that this document is not a U.S. Intelligence Community product and that I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC. The IC has not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable, and we did not rely upon it in any way for our conclusions. However, part of our obligation is to ensure that policymakers are provided with the fullest possible picture of any matters that might affect national security.

President-elect Trump again affirmed his appreciation for all the men and women serving in the Intelligence Community, and I assured him that the IC stands ready to serve his Administration and the American people.  

James R. Clapper, Director of National Intelligence

CNN and Buzzfeed really shit the bed here.

There are real concerns surrounding Trump's behaviour towards Russia, but by pushing insane, baseless nonsense like this, all it does is it allows Trump to legitimately brand these organizations "fake news" and dismiss them.

The MSM does this every time. They take a real concern surrounding Trump, they make up all sorts of fake, histrionic garbage without a shred of evidence, and when Trump rightfully hits back, the real concerns are buried. We saw the same thing with Steve Bannon. The MSM wasn't happy simply pointing out that he's self-serving jackass. They had to label him a Nazi fascist anti-Semite bigot - which is completely baseless - and that allowed the Trump team to hit back hard, resulting in all criticism of Bannon falling by the wayside.

I want to believe the press learned a lesson on the Comey letter and are applying it here.

But the press always reports salacious things. Their self righteous indignation at BuzzFeed is misplaced.