GuyWhoPostsThings

UPDATE: Eurogamer says it's cancelled. ORIGINAL: Scalebound? Scalebinned? Scalebound removed from Xbox websites, rumors that it's in trouble

39 minutes ago, The def star said:

If the game sucked it wouldn't be good to release and it would cost MS quite a bit of money. I'm sure they just decided to take the loss in what they already put into it. I don't know if the game was gonna suck but judging from their previous pedigree and their recent releases I don't think MS would have cancelled this unless it was in development hell.

The game was in development for 4 years, and was slated to be released in 2016.  I do wonder how much more time and funding it would have taken be a decent release.  I just don't think the Microsoft of today is very willing to take a "when it's done" approach.  Particularly outside of Halo/Forza/Gears/Rare, which it pumps resources into by default.

I haven't played Recore (and would like to eventually), but it sounds like Microsoft forced it out too early and cut their losses that way.  Quoting Giant Bomb's review:

And then, again, there's the lack of story, and the feeling that huge chunks of it are just missing, as the game grinds on. By the time you get to that final dungeon, something like a fifth of the game's total landmass will remain completely untouched; it's purely there for you to go poke around in, looking for cores, at the end. A couple of the cutscenes are so shoddily put together, with disjointed scene transitions and rushed exposition and some really ugly FMV, that I found myself confused as to what had just happened after they were over. Almost all of the actually interesting storytelling is relegated to audio logs and text notes, which actually give you some background on the architects of the terraforming project and what may have gone wrong. But those plot elements feel like they were written to serve a much grander storyline that just isn't here at all. Once you finally reach the final boss fight (which is just a retread of a fight you fought hours earlier), you're treated to one of the most slapped-together jokes of an ending I've ever seen in a game. After one briefly heartfelt dialogue sequence that doesn't actually address any of the open questions of the plot, you get a couple of what feel like placeholder cutscenes that were shoved into the ending, and then you're wordlessly dumped back to the title screen without even a credits roll. I won't pretend to know what did or didn't happen in the course of this game's development, but between the bugs and the lack of storytelling, it's hard not to feel like this thing needed quite a bit more time in the oven.

I just want to see Microsoft invest more in new IP and see them through.  Clearly, 'development hell' isn't the only problem here.  There's been enough reports to suggest the problems run deeper.  Conflicts over creative vision and funding have cropped up a few times this gen.

I definitely want to see new IP's from MS and like I said Scalebound looked promising. Sucks to hear it's cancellation but like many people said it wasn't looking too good. MS needs to find their new Halo and Gears of war as those series are getting stale.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Scaleboundtown.gif
giphy.gif

There was some promise there.  The combat, oddly, looked like the lowpoint.  Especially the E3 presentation, but that kind of goes without saying.

There was promise where? You just linked two gifs showing... kind of nothing? Vaguely interesting, but mostly pedestrian JRPG locales? The fucking reflection of the dragon's wings on the surface of the water in the second one is actually embarrassing.

This game never really hooked me... so it being cancelled is a big 'Meh, whatever' for me.

The reveal trailer looked like it was trying too hard to be cool, and the gameplay that I saw looked like nothing new.

Wow that sucks for everyone involved even MS as their exclusive lineup for 2017 is really, really thin. I am getting tired of Gears and Halo every year and would really love it if MS actually cared more about bringing new ips to the console rather then always bank on Halo, Gears and Forza....

Cuphead, Sea of thieves, and State of Decay 2 look like the only good exclusives coming to the system while Sonys 2017 is packed with tons and tons if new ips. 

Was really hoping Phil would right the ship here and while I was excited about the power of Scorpio, their first party lineup is terrible so my hype for it has gone down a lot.

8 minutes ago, Mass Appeal said:

Wow that sucks for everyone involved even MS as their exclusive lineup for 2017 is really, really thin. I am getting tired of Gears and Halo every year and would really love it if MS actually cared more about bringing new ips to the console rather then always bank on Halo, Gears and Forza....

Cuphead, Sea of thieves, and State of Decay 2 look like the only good exclusives coming to the system while Sonys 2017 is packed with tons and tons if new ips. 

Was really hoping Phil would right the ship here and while I was excited about the power of Scorpio, their first party lineup is terrible so my hype for it has gone down a lot.

I have a feeling Microsoft is holding cards close to their chests for Scorpio... otherwise, I agree 2017 looks pretty weak.

19 hours ago, ARZ said:

Haven't heard much from Crackdown, and that's nearly 6 months late already....hope it doesn't meet the same fate.

I think you'll be all right. From Shinobi on GAF: "A bit off topic but after digging around yesterday, all is ok in Crackdown land, though development *has* been tough (but that's game development in general)."

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

There was promise where? You just linked two gifs showing... kind of nothing? Vaguely interesting, but mostly pedestrian JRPG locales? The fucking reflection of the dragon's wings on the surface of the water in the second one is actually embarrassing.

The latter could simply be due to gif compression.  The idea of Platinum making an RPG with a (semi-)open world had me excited.  And I thought the villiage looks fantastic.  Tree huts, waterfalls, some big giant glowing rock in the center, etc.  Looks like a place I'd want to go explore.

Both gifs gave me Skies of Arcadia vibes.  There aren't many RPGs today that do that for me.

3 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

What really surprised me is the amount of replies this thread is getting.  I had completely forgot about Scalebound, nothing about its original announcement got me excited...

It's Platinum Games.  They've always been an underdog of sorts.

I'm not sure where all the PlatinumGames love comes from. Their last five, I repeat, five, games were abysmal. Sure, before that you had Bayonetta 1 and 2, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Vanquish, which were all good to great games, but that's about it. The Wonderful 101 was okay. Anarchy Reigns was bad. Only having 4 good games out of the last 11 games is not a great track record guys.

However, I loved the first Nier and am really excited for Nier: Automata. This has to be the game that brings PlatinumGames back from the brink, and I hope it does. With Scalebound cancelled, it kind of has to. Then again, despite how great Nier was, Drakengard/Nier creator Taro Yoko didn't do a good job with Drakengard 3, so I have no idea how Nier: Automata will turn out between him and PlatinumGames.

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure where all the PlatinumGames love comes from. Their last five, I repeat, five, games were abysmal. Sure, before that you had Bayonetta 1 and 2, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Vanquish, which were all good to great games, but that's about it. The Wonderful 101 was okay. Anarchy Reigns was bad. Only having 4 good games out of the last 11 games is not a great track record guys.

Which is sort of irrelevant to this discussion because this game was being directed by Hideki Kamiya. His last five games were Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Okami, and Vietiful Joe. 

14 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Which is sort of irrelevant to this discussion because this game was being directed by Hideki Kamiya. His last five games were Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Okami, and Vietiful Joe. 

I don't disagree but first of all he didn't direct Bayonetta 2, he was a "supervisor" and he did the "story". Secondly, The Wonderful 101 was okay to me, not great. I agree he is/was quite a talent, but I don't think between PlatinumGames' recent track record and the fact he hasn't released a game where he was the director since The Wonderful 101 in 2013 that I do think there is cause for concern and that PlatinumGames should no longer be held in such high regard.

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't disagree but first of all he didn't direct Bayonetta 2, he was a "supervisor" and he did the "story". Secondly, The Wonderful 101 was okay to me, not great. I agree he is/was quite a talent, but I don't think between PlatinumGames' recent track record and the fact he hasn't released a game where he was the director since The Wonderful 101 in 2013 that I do think there is cause for concern and that PlatinumGames should no longer be held in such high regard.

You don't lose credibility as a director in 4 years since your last game's release.  Especially when he's shipped more than a half dozen games, most of them being new IP.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You don't lose credibility as a director in 4 years since your last game's release.  Especially when you've shipped more than a half dozen games, most of them new IP.

I think you lose some credibility when your last game (in my opinion, of course) was only okay, and that was 4 years ago (The Wonderful 101), and your last truly great game was 7 years ago (Bayonetta). I love Hideki Kamiya, his work is great, but people treating him and/or PlatinumGames as some top-notch studio constantly pumping out amazing games is strange to me is all I'm saying.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think you lose some credibility when your last game (in my opinion, of course) was only okay, and that was 4 years ago, and your last truly great game was 7 years ago (Bayonetta). I love Hideki Kamiya, his work is great, but people treating him and/or PlatinumGames as some top-notch studio constantly pumping out amazing games is strange to me.

Wonderful 101 wasn't a bad game by any means.  I thought it was much better than Viewtiful Joe, which I thought was overrated.  Regardless, the guy has definitely earned his stripes over the years.

And I think it's unfair to try to dump this on him when most rumors are pointing to Microsoft being at greater fault:

j6LFpLX.jpg

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Wonderful 101 wasn't a bad game by any means.  I thought it was much better than Viewtiful Joe, which I thought was overrated.  Regardless, the guy has definitely earned his stripes over the years.

And I think it's unfair to try to dump this on him when most rumors are pointing to Microsoft being at greater fault:

I'm not dumping anything on PlatinumGames in terms of Scalebound. I wholly agree that Microsoft is likely to primarily blame for its difficult production and cancellation. I'm just saying that I don't think any of us should care that much because it's not like PlatinumGames is super amazing anymore or anything is all. 

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just saying that I don't think any of us should care that much because it's not like PlatinumGames is super amazing anymore or anything is all. 

I think there's still more reason to care about Platinum Games than the glut of 'AAA' developers today.  It's not about their games being 'super amazing' (which sometimes they are) as much as beating to a different drum, while sitting in that no-man's land between AAA and indie.

It's surprising they exist at all today.  That's part of what makes them exciting.

45 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think there's still more reason to care about Platinum Games than the glut of 'AAA' developers today.  It's not about their games being 'super amazing' (which sometimes they are) as much as beating to a different drum, while sitting in that no-man's land between AAA and indie.

It's surprising they exist at all today.  That's part of what makes them exciting.

I don't really care if a mid-tier studio exists (which I agree, is rare and surprising) if their output isn't any good. Not sure what drum they've been beating too since 2014 given it's been licensed crap and outsourced crap since. What's to care about today? I agree if this were 2013 I'd be excited (despite Scalebound looking terrible for whatever reasons and getting cancelled) but it's 2017, not 2013.

It's like getting excited for an M. Night Shyamalan film after his string of bad movies. Why would I still be excited? Or disappointed if one of his films get cancelled? Things have changed for Platinum, and so has my perspective of them based on the last 4 years. 

Like I said, I hope they turn it around with Nier: Automata. I don't want to see them fail. But I can't ignore the last 4-5 years' worth of evidence due to nostalgia for what they used to be before that either. 

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't really care if a mid-tier studio exists (which I agree, is rare and surprising) if their output isn't any good. Not sure what drum they've been beating too since 2014 given it's been licensed crap and outsourced crap since. What's to care about today? I agree if this were 2013 I'd be excited (despite Scalebound looking terrible for whatever reasons and getting cancelled) but it's 2017, not 2013.

It's like getting excited for an M. Night Shyamalan film after his string of bad movies. Why would I still be excited? Or disappointed if one of his films get cancelled? Things have changed for Platinum, and so has my perspective of them based on the last 4 years. 

Like I said, I hope they turn it around with Nier: Automata. I don't want to see them fail. But I can't ignore the last 4-5 years' worth of evidence due to nostalgia for what they used to be before that either. 

Most of their licensed games were clearly developed under time and budget constraints.  The fact that they signed on to make them shows  the difficulty they've had in trying to find funding for making (and owning) their own IP.  They've been stuck a in rut because the games they 'used to make before' didn't sell, not because the talent is gone.

Comparing the studio to M. Night Shyamalan is a joke.  Just considering Avatar license: Platinum committed the crime of making a decent downloadable game, the other made one of the worst 'blockbuster' movies in a decade.  If Scalebound turned out to be garbage I would see more common ground.  But because Microsoft pulled the plug entirely, we'll never know for sure.

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Most of their licensed games were clearly developed under time and budget constraints.  The fact that they signed on to make them shows  the difficulty they've had in trying to find funding for making (and owning) their own IP.  They've been stuck a in rut because the games they 'used to make before' didn't sell, not because the talent is gone.

Comparing the studio to M. Night Shyamalan is a joke.  Just considering Avatar license: Platinum committed the crime of making a decent downloadable game, the other made one of the worst 'blockbuster' movies in a decade.  If Scalebound turned out to be garbage I would see more common ground.  But because Microsoft pulled the plug entirely, we'll never know for sure.

I mean, we can be PlatinumGames apologists until we're blue in the face, but for whatever reasons their output has been bad. The Legend of Korra was a terrible game. As bad as Transformers: Devastation, the two Star Fox games they made, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (which I only played a bit of). Some studios make excellent games under time and budget constraints. PlatinumGames isn't one of them. Whatever number of factors have been involved to make their jobs difficult they didn't overcome them time and again, and I judge them for that at least a little bit.

Everyone's job is hard in its way. Often things aren't made easy for us but some of us still do well at it. Platinum hasn't. They worked a lot with licenses - that doesn't mean they couldn't have made a good game with that license under time and budget constraints. Especially given how good everyone thinks they are (and had proven early on in its life). But they didn't. That says something about them. 

Then again I'm not exactly one for excuses over and over again. This game was under budget constraints. That game was under time constraints. This game was Microsoft's fault. I mean - after a certain point there's one common factor which is failing  - PlatinumGames. I'm one for empathy and understanding, but not to a fault. 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, we can be PlatinumGames apologists until we're blue in the face, but for whatever reasons their output has been bad. The Legend of Korra was a terrible game. As bad as Transformers: Devastation, the two Star Fox games they made, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (which I only played a bit of). Some studios make excellent games under time and budget constraints. PlatinumGames isn't one of them. Whatever number of factors have been involved to make their jobs difficult they didn't overcome them time and again, and I judge them for that at least a little bit.

Everyone's job is hard in its way. Often things aren't made easy for us but some of us still do well at it. Platinum hasn't. They worked a lot with licenses - that doesn't mean they couldn't have made a good game with that license under time and budget constraints. Especially given how good everyone thinks they are (and had proven early on in its life). But they didn't. That says something about them. 

Then again I'm not exactly one for excuses over and over again. This game was under budget constraints. This game was under time constraints. This game was Microsoft's fault. I mean - after a certain point there's one common factor which is failing  - PlatinumGames. I'm one for empathy and understanding, but not to a fault. 

Name me the last good licensed game made under severe budget and time constraints.

The only company that comes to mind is WayForward, and they focus almost exclusively on 2d platformers.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Name me the last good licensed game made under severe budget and time constraints.

I don't need too. Are you really going to claim the last five games they made were ALL under time and budget constraints? That also doesn't explain the mediocrity of Anarchy Reigns and Infinite Space and the "only okay-ness" of The Wonderful 101. 

And I thought they were really fun games with awesome gameplay, but it's not like Vanquish or MadWorld or Metal Gear Rising are The Last of Us or Shadow of the Colossus or anything either. 

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't need too. Are you really going to claim the last five games they made were ALL under time and budget constraints?

The licensed ones?  Yes.  Absolutely.  That, and Star Fox was mostly Nintendo's fault for the direction they wanted that game to go.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That also doesn't explain the mediocrity of Anarchy Reigns and Infinite Space and the "only okay-ness" of The Wonderful 101. 

Trying to cherry pick out bad ones?  You could do the exact same thing with the good ones.

I don't agree that W101 was only "okay."  But whatever.  Those games all took risks in a positive way.  Who else would be willing to attempt games like those?  Very few developers, and even fewer publishers.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The liscenced ones?  Yes.  That, and Star Fox was mostly Nintendo's fault for the direction they wanted that game to go.

Trying to cherry pick out bad ones?  You could do the exact same thing with the good ones.

I don't agree that W101 was only "okay."  But whatever.  Those games all took risks in a positive way.  Who else would be willing to attempt games like those?  Very few developers, and even fewer publishers.

Statistically, they've made far fewer good games than bad ones, that's seems pretty clear to me at this stage, regardless of what reasons. Whether you still want to treat them with reverence or not as a game developer after that is up to you - more power to you if you want to do that. But my eyes are open and I feel they need to prove themselves to me at this stage in the game. I hope they do.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Statistically, they've made far fewer good games than bad ones, that's seems pretty clear to me at this stage, regardless of what reasons. Whether you still want to treat them with reverence or not as a game developer after that is up to you - more power to you if you want to do that. But my eyes are open and I feel they need to prove themselves to me at this stage in the game. I hope they do.

They released a Game of the Year contender 2014.  I still think it's ridiculous to think that was lightning in a bottle and that they couldn't replicate that again with proper funding/development time.

What they're going to have to prove, sadly, is that they can stomach the impending layoffs that are likely to result from the Scalebound cancellation.