SFLUFAN

~*The D1P 2017 Game Completion Thread*~

Finished Mafia III, including all the underboss side missions. 44 hours total. 

Mixed feelings on it...I really enjoyed the story, characters, environment. It portrayed the late 60s in Louisiana well, with the racial and social upheaval. The game play, however, while solid, was pretty uninspired. Missions had little variety. I encountered a handful of glitches and a couple crashes.

I'd give it 7.5/10. I plan on getting the story DLCs when they're on sale. 

On 9/15/2017 at 1:22 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finished Mafia III, including all the underboss side missions. 44 hours total. 

Mixed feelings on it...I really enjoyed the story, characters, environment. It portrayed the late 60s in Louisiana well, with the racial and social upheaval. The game play, however, while solid, was pretty uninspired. Missions had little variety. I encountered a handful of glitches and a couple crashes.

I'd give it 7.5/10. I plan on getting the story DLCs when they're on sale. 

How much time or hours do you think you spent on it?

1 hour ago, Hurdyb1 said:

DUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

My bad. Thanks though. Damn 44? That's lot of time. Thanks again, lol!

Maybe shave off 3 hours due to me leaving the game running while I did other stuff. 

But I did pretty much everything. Got all the collectibles, did the underboss, missions, all that. You could beat it in less time if you don't do as much. 

Season 2 of Alex Hunter - 8/10 - Enjoyed it but would have liked more off the field things to to do

Child of Light - 8.5/10 - What a gr*interrupted*. What I was trying to say is that the game is wond*interrupted*. Come on. I'm just trying to say that I like the ga*interrupted*. Gahhhhh

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sooo, with the site crashing and all, I had plenty of time to finish The Evil Within 2. Fun ride, I give it an 8.5/10.

How does it compare to the first. I have the first I just haven't started it. I have such a backlog of RE games.

Started a lot of games in 2017, but I am yet to finish a single one. 

I got a Switch at launch and have bought:

Zelda, 40 hours in, done 1 divine beast. 

Graceful Explosion Machine, 3-4 stages to go, almost done. 

Fast RMX, barely played. 

World of Goo, barely played. 

Splatoon 2, halfway through the campaign, played about 60 hours multi-player. 

Sonic Mania, played for about 20 minutes. 

Mario and Rabbids, midway through 3rd world. 

Stardew Valley, year 3 of first play through, started again last night. 65 hours playtime. 

I want to finish Splatoon 2, GEM and Rabbids by Christmas, when I will probably get Mario and Skyrim and my life will be over until spring! 

16 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus 

That was a fucking blast. 

Damn. With all the hours you work I'm impressed you beat The Evil Within 2 and now Wolfenstein. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Damn. With all the hours you work I'm impressed you beat The Evil Within 2 and now Wolfenstein. 

I just work 36 hours a week, 3 straight 12s. 

I don't game at all during my work stretch, but I have plenty of time on my days off if I really wanna play. 

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just work 36 hours a week, 3 straight 12s. 

I don't game at all during my work stretch, but I have plenty of time on my days off if I really wanna play. 

Oh... I see. I work 10-12 hour days 5 days a week. :(

I still try to game as much as my body allows me too.

Finished Uncharted:  The Lost Legacy - 7.5/10.  Stupidly gorgeous game, and I liked Chloe and Nadine together.  Had some dull parts and there wasn't much to do in those big sprawling areas, but overall a good game.

Finished Shadow of Mordor finally... three years and two purchases later (I beat it on the Xbone but originally bought it for the PS4) 8/10. Great gameplay and I loved the nemesis system. Story was good, but I wish the open world had a little more life to it. Gonna beat the two DLC's before I jump into it's sequel. Oh and WTF was up with that final battle? Did they just stope giving a hit at that point? I LOVE the combat in this game... Talion is one of the best characters I've played as in games. The game uses the Arkham style of combat but MUCH better than the Arkham games, Sleeping Dogs and Mad Max which all use this system. I wish the Witcher or Skyrim used this system... great game. On to Shadow of War...

Just finished Doom 2016. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. I know it's in the nature of the beast, but in terms of end-game, I prefer challenge through variety rather than samey volume. That said, I can't think of a game that made me feel as powerful and helpless as Doom. 

I'm not sure what to jump into next, I want to play more Persona 5 but...I have other, more exciting games. Not to mention there's the PS4 sale with Firewatch costing practically nothing. 

Assassin's Creed Origins. 9.5/10. I loved almost everything about this game. Easily my favorite in the series. I'm at 63 hours and I still have 5 more areas to uncover and explore on the map. I plan to do it all. But I wanted to beat the main story before I take off to visit family for Christmas.

And here's my remainder for 2017 before I unpin this thread:

Black the Fall: fantastic adventure/platformer set in a fictional Eastern European communist state (the developers grew up under the communist regime of Romania in the 1980s).  It's very much in a similar vein to Inside, but I actually enjoyed it a bit more than that particular game despite its similarity.

INSIDE: see above reference :P  I played Inside immediately after playing Black the Fall and while I am aware that INSIDE was released first and is an excellent game in its own right, I wasn't as engaged in it was I was Black the Fall.  However, I really have nothing bad to say about this game and you REALLY should play it

LIMBO: yes - that's right, I FINALLY got around to playing LIMBO which I did after playing INSIDE.  Needless to say, I was pretty sick and tired of playing adventure/platformers after playing three in a row, but that doesn't detract from the overall quality of LIMBO, especially when it was originally released.

The Evil Within: The Assignment/The Consequence/The Executioner DLCs - I'm sure you all remember that I don't exactly have the warmest feelings towards The Evil Within.  However, despite those sentiments, I decided to play through the three DLCs that constituted the game's Season Pass because I might as well seeing as how I bought it.  The Executioner DLC is pretty much consists of boring arena combat so don't even think about playing that one.  However, The Assignment/The Consequence DLCs that feature the female detective Kidman ARE COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY ESSENTIAL TO UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THE MAIN GAME!  Apart from enjoying Kidman's stealth-oriented gameplay VASTLY more than the main game, I couldn't believe how much more coherent the story was in the DLCs and the degree to which it explained the incomprehensible garbage that was the base game's storyline.  Even if you absolutely despised The Evil Within, you practically owe it to yourself to play The Assignment/The Consequence.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - I have very mixed feelings about this game.  I admire what Ninja Theory was trying to do in depicting the horror of having a mental illness.  I appreciate the art direction, incredible sound design/engineering, and stellar voiceacting that easily surpasses most "AAA" titles at half the price.  I just don't think that those elements necessarily came "together" for me as a comprehensive package.  I honestly do think Ninja Theory's intent would have been far better served if the title had been a pure "walking simulator" that omitted what quickly become tedious combat and "puzzle" solving.  It seems to me that quite a bit of the potency of Senua's struggle was lost because of the repetitiveness of the combat. I'm aware that the combat was supposed to symbolize the fight against her psychological demons, but I really would have preferred some other way to engage with that struggle.  Overall, still an experience that should not be overlooked.

Mafia III: Stones Unturned and Sign of the Times DLCs - As stated in an earlier post, I really did enjoy the driving-focused Faster, Baby! DLC and was hoping for more of the same from these two other entires, especially the Donovan-focused Stones Unturned.  Unfortunately, I didn't get that at all.  I was hoping that Stones Unturned would actually take place during Donovan's and Lincoln's tour in 'Nam but instead it features a plot where they have to recover a lost nuclear bomb for the CIA and it really is kinda dull and too combat-focuses.  Sign of the Times involves Lincoln taking down a weird-ass white supremacy cult, and it's not very interesting at all. Just stick with Faster, Baby! if you want more Mafia III in your life.

Mother Russia Bleeds - a Streets of Rage-like beat 'em up with a does of graphic ultra-violence that takes place in an alternate history version of the 1980s Soviet Union.  You can choose from four different characters each of which has their own individual combat style.  Even though the combat isn't particularly deep or intricate, I REALLY had a lot of fun with this one, largely because of how completely ridiculous and over-the-top it is in just about every respect (it is a Devolver Digital title, after all!).  This is the perfect "palette cleanser" game to play in-between major "AAA" releases

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition -  Why did I wait so very long to play this?  I can honestly say that this was one of the most delightful games that I've ever played.  Everything about it just "clicked" for me: the art, the music, the world-setting, the actual Metroidvania gameplay.  I think the reason I played it was because I saw the E3 trailer for its sequel and thought "Well, I'd better play the first one that's so highly-regarded!"  And, my God, was it ever!  I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about Ori.  I really can't.  I had the biggest smile on my face while playing it, even during the infamous "Ginso Tree Water Escape" sequence.  Take your time with the sequel, Moon Studios - I can wait!

Shadow Warrior 2: Bounty Hunt DLC Part 2 - Even more ABSOLUTELY FREE Wang!  What's there not to love about that?!?!

RUINER - This Polish title is definitely the MOST stylish game that I played in 2017.  The game's cyberpunk atmosphere practically oozes off of the screen both visually and aurally.  While the game is definitely challenging (though there is an upgrade that turns really turns it into a cakewalk eventually), I never felt that the difficulty level was ever "unfair" (even prior to the afore-mentioned upgrade) so I think you'll be compelled to keep trying even if you get your ass kicked.  The combat does remind me quite a bit of Hotline Miami in the sense of bouncing from one enemy to another in smooth, fluid motions.  The one downside of this game (well, other than the practically non-existent "story", but who really cares about that?) is that the combat never really evolves all that much during the course of your playthrough.

Redeemer - Look, I have no logical explanation why I enjoy obscure beat 'em up titles from Eastern European studios that no one else has ever heard of.  I can't explain it - I just do.  There's absolutely nothing special about Redeemer at all - it's not particularly stylish or original or varied in its gameplay.  There's absolutely nothing there that screams "YES! YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME!" But yet, I enjoyed my time with it quite a bit.  It's another one of those easy...ok, maybe not-so-easy as the fights can be difficult at times...palette cleanser titles that I described earlier that you play when you're in the mood for a game but not necessarily an epic/AAA/open-world experience.

OK, that was the remainder of my 2017 gaming experiences!  I've decided that we'll use @madmankevin's thread to keep track of our 2018 titles rather than have "dueling threads" again.  Here's to a great gaming 2018!

@CastlevaniaNut18 = I don't know if you've already gotten the Mafia III story DLCs yet, but if you haven't, the only really worthwhile one is Faster, Baby!  The other two are really quite dull.

23 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

@CastlevaniaNut18 = I don't know if you've already gotten the Mafia III story DLCs yet, but if you haven't, the only really worthwhile one is Faster, Baby!  The other two are really quite dull.

I haven't gotten around to that yet, thanks for letting me know.