• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
SFLUFAN

~*The D1P 2017 Game Completion Thread*~

53 posts in this topic

XCOM 2 - it's more XCOM. That's a good thing.

Horizon Zero Dawn - 45 hours played in 6 days. Yeah, I liked this game a lot. Has a few negatives like fighting humans, but I loved hunting dino machines and learning about the world as it was before and as it is now in that universe.

Trying to finish Mass Effect 3 now before Andromeda.

Deadpool

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Deadpool was a very sold hack n' slash with some of the most infuriating save checkpoints I've encountered in a very, very long time.  My advice: play it on easy for the humor.  Score - 6.5/10

Much like its War for Cybertron predecessor, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is an extremely well-made, damned good third-person shooter that captures the spirit of Transformers perfectly.  Really - pick this one up on sale when you can!  Score - 8/10

It really is a pity that High Moon Studios (the developer of both these titles) has been turned by Activision into a Call of Duty map pack sweatshop :(

On 3/21/2017 at 10:33 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Horizon Zero Dawn - 9.5/10 - The best Ubisoft game to date. 

:rofl::clap:

Horizon is easily a 9.5. 

Lets see, I beat Horizon, and Zelda. Working on Mass Effect. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 10/10 

Need I say it's one of the greatest games of all time?

HITMAN - great game, stands with Blood Money as an all time great. Finally finished the last mission. Really want to go back and raise my mastery levels or whatever it is for each mission.

Can't bring myself to finish P5. In the last dungeon.

Shadow Warrior 2: Bounty Hunt DLC Part 1 - These are 14 new ABSOLUTELY FREE missions that are obtained by visiting the new "bounty board" in Wang's HQ.  It's more Shadow Warrior 2 --the second best FPS of 2016 -- so you know exactly what you're getting, and do you ever get it in spades!  The demonic slaughter and mayhem is fantastic as usual and there are two new weapons to obtain.  The only drawback is that you're visiting the same locations that you've been to many, many times before during the main campaign, but that's a minor quibble in an otherwise kick-ass, ABSOLUTELY FREE DLC expansion!

Mafia III: Faster, Baby! DLC - Remember how one of the main complaints with Mafia III was the incredibly mind-numbing repetition of activities to advance the storyline?  Well, thankfully this DLC has ABSOLUTELY NONE of that at all!  "Faster, Baby!" distills pretty much all the good stuff from Mafia III (with a few new driving additions like slow-mo) into a pretty lean package where Lincoln Clay is taking on a rural sheriff's department full of racist cops for "The Voice of the Hollow".  This DLC features two absolutely fantastic driving sequences that blow away anything from the base game.  Now, remember when I said that this was a "pretty lean package"?  I meant it, because this DLC will probably taking you between 90 minutes to 2 hours to complete in its entirety.  So, take that into consideration if you're considering it.

Apotheon - This one was sitting in my backlog pile for quite some time and I finally decided that the time had come to complete this "Metroidvania"-style action/RPG that uses the art style that's found on pottery from ancient Greece.  Apotheon is worth the price of admission for the art style alone, in my opinion, and the overall narrative is fun enough (even if it's pretty much a direct rip of "God of War").  The one downside that its controls aren't exactly the greatest, especially when trying to aim a projectile object (spear or arrow).  Something about it is just "off" and there are a few instances where absolute aiming precision is necessary, but the controls are so finicky that it pretty much becomes an exercise in trial and error.  Also, the gameplay really don't evolve at all during the course of the game - the gameplay mechanics that you used at the very start of the game is pretty much the exact ones that you'll be using at the end of the game.  

Dishonored 2 - There are not enough superlatives in the dictionary for me to adequately describe how absofreakinglutely amazing Dishonored 2 is.  Now, I'll admit that I'm a bit biased because I'm totally enthralled by the world of Dishonored.  In addition to playing the first game and its story DLCs, I've read both the recent Dishonored novel and comic series which take place between the two games.  That being said, I can say without hesitation that Dishonored 2 improves upon the first game from a gameplay perspective in just about every way possible.  As a pure stealth/no kill player, the number of options available to me to make this a viable, non-frustrating path are far more numerous than its predecessor and the overall complexity/depth of the design of each level really do make it worthwhile to approach each situation from multiple angles to find the best "fit" for your playstyle.  Add to this the game's overall atmosphere (NPC conversations, journals/notes/books, etc.) and you have a deep, rich gaming experience that really shouldn't be overlooked at all.  The only "negative" is that the game's plot is pretty much the same as the original, but I guess we can't have everyting, right? :P  For me, Dishonored 2 was the best game released in 2016, and I'm pretty sure that you'll at the very least think it deserved a place in 2016's "Top 10" lists as well!

2017 -  (Copied from other thread)

Stardew Valley - 7.5/10  I loved me some Harvest Moon back in the day on Gamecube, and this game scratched that itch.  

2/4/17 - Halo Wars: DE - 7/10  For a console strategy game, it was done pretty well.  I enjoyed the story, and it had great cinematics.  It did just make me miss Westwood Studios though and the C&C games I grew up with.  

2/20/17 - Halo MCC: Halo 2/3/4 - 8/10  I played Halo 2 and 3 years and years ago, so I revisited them before playing through Halo 4.  Halo 2 Anniversary was very well done, great cut-scenes and graphics overhaul.  Played half the game on Legendary, but wanted to progress more quickly so played on Hardened.  Halo 3 was great to play through again, as it brought back some enjoyable memories from years ago.  Halo 4 I actually really enjoyed the story.  I think the presentation, the cut-scenes and just quality of graphics and sound work just really sold the game for it.  I just dug the entire experience.  

3/1/17 - Halo 5 - 9/10  Story wasn't as good as the previous games for it.  It was a fun campaign to play through, but story wise just kind of confusing, and not primarily playing as Master Chief wasn't as enjoyable.  Played it co-op though which always makes it more fun.  The core gameplay though, controls, sound work, are all so great.  Really really love just playing the game.  The multiplayer is fantastic as well, and now with the custom games due to forge, the game is so robust with so much to do.  It's an outstanding total package now.  

3/4/17 - For Honor - 6.5/10  The campaign was actually half decent.  I enjoyed playing through it on the hardest difficulty.  The multiplayer, which was the focus, never felt totally balanced, and the peer to peer servers just didn't hold up overall.  Still a great new IP and some great ideas, but needed way better online connectivity if you're going to be a multiplayer focused game.  

Zelda -  9/10   I paid $450 for this game.  Had no desire to own a Switch, but bought one due to the Zelda hype.  Bought a Pro Controller because the Joy Cons were terrible to play on.  I don't regret it one bit.  I'm so glad I played through it.  For awhile I thought it might beat Witcher 3 as the best game I ever played, but after the half way point of the game, it really lost a lot of it's luster for me.  The difficulty drops drastically, which makes Shrine hunting kind of pointless as I didn't need more hearts or stamina.  Once Shrine hunting loses it's appeal, then exploring the world kind of loses its magic.  Same goes for the seeds once you get a decent amount of inventory space.  The only real inventory you need is the melee weapons, as shields and bows aren't that big an issue.  The lack of real dungeons were a huge let down.  I always felt like there might be more coming, some real surprises after you do the 4 Beasts, and do the Memory storyline, but nothing.  It's a great opening half of a game, but the 2nd half of the game was such a huge letdown, it left a bad taste for the entire game for me.  I figured at the very least, when I got to the castle for Ganon, I'd have to go through some kind of dungeon area or do something to earn my way to fight the final boss, but nothing, and the final boss fight was so anticlimactic.  The complete lack of items that are needed to help traverse or get around also ended up being a bit of a let down by the end, as that's a staple of Zelda games.  I still loved the game for the first half experience it gave me, but Ocarina of Time is still the King of Zelda games for me.   

3/30/17 - Mass Effect Andromeda - 8/10  I loved my time with this game.  I had just come from playing Zelda for roughly 80 hours, so I wasn't sure how another single player game would jive with me.  Combat was fantastic overall, I found the story to be pretty good, and I really enjoyed exploring the worlds and "reviving" them.  The weakest part of the game was the shoddy performance, frame-rate issues and other graphical issues everywhere.  I still played it from start to finish and the strengths far outweighed the negatives for me.  Finished it with 96% completion.  For as much as I enjoyed Zelda, after finishing it I was left feeling somewhat empty because the lack of much narrative sequences in the game.  That made me appreciate the story telling and story sequences even more.  It also has a pretty adequate multiplayer mode.  If not for all the jankiness in performance, it'd probably score evenly with Zelda for me.

4/9/17 - Firewatch - 7.5/10  It was an interesting experience.  Some very good dialogue, but story kind of built up and built up, and the conclusion just kind of left me disappointed.  Still glad i played and experienced it though.  

4/15/17 - Bastion - 7.5/10  Pretty cool game with some cool ideas.  Story and narration were pretty good.  Glad I finally got to play it after hearing a lot about it.

Forza 6 - 8/10   Just like Forza 5, I just really enjoy playing this in short bursts from time to time, as it's just a great playing game.  I've never even liked sim racers that much, but the way the game controls, and the rumble triggers, just make it a good relaxing engaging game to play.  

4/16/17 - Uncharted 1 - 5.5/10  I started this awhile back, but just could not get into it and stopped playing for months.  I figured I'd try to finish off the Uncharted Trilogy so I can finally play Last of Us, then Uncharted 4.  This game was tough to get through though.  The exploration and platforming was mediocre, the gun play was dreadful.  There were so many areas that were just gun fight after gun fight, and it all felt horrible.  Story was pretty generic.  Now the 6/10 is also by today's standards, because I can't ignore the fact I've played both Tomb Raiders and other much better games.  If I played this back when it originally released, I'm sure it was much more impressive.  

4/19/17 - Uncharted 2 - 8.5/10  What a huge difference from the original to the Uncharted 2.  The game was just paced much better, the gun play, while similar, felt much improved, and it was spread out a lot more in general compared to the original.  My favorite portion of the game was the Snow level which was just all platforming pretty much and small puzzles.  No shooting.   Characters were all entertaining, and some great dialogue.  I can really appreciate Naughty Dogs dialogue and animation skills, as that's all very well done.  Now I'm looking forward to getting to Uncharted 3, which was not how I was feeling at all after the original.

4/21/17 - Titanfall 2 - 8/10  The first half of the campaign I felt was a bit slow and boring, but not bad.  The second half though was much much more fun.  It was a well made campaign with some great ideas.  I haven't spent much time in Multiplayer though.   

4/30/2017 - Uncharted 3 - 6/10  After really disliking Uncharted 1, then really liking Uncharted 2, I have no idea how Naughty Dog regressed so much with Uncharted 3.  It was just so uninteresting and such a slog to play through.  It once again felt like it had way too many gun fights, which have barely improved at all from the original.  The gun play is just so lackluster, every time I see enemies run on screen, it's kills my enthusiasm for the game.  There were barely any areas of the game that felt like they were about exploring and puzzles.  I was so sick and tired of watching every obvious piece of debris collapsing and watching Nate constantly crash through stuff.  Do they think that adds to the excitement or suspense of the game or something.  It's not like we have any control over any of that, it got so old after the first few chapters, and got worse as the game went on.  The pacing just felt off as well, as I was just bored and uninterested throughout the majority of the game.  Even my attitude towards the characters just didn't develop like they did in Uncharted 2.  By the time I hit Chapter 8/9, I just wanted it to be over, I even went into the menu to see how many total chapters there were as it felt like the game was dragging so much already.  When I saw there were 22 Chapter, I almost wanted to quit, but I stuck it out.  I'm happy to finally finish the initial PS3 Tirlogy though, as I can finally play Last of Us, which I have high expectations for.  Up to this point though, I have to say, I don't get the hype over Naughty Dog.  They have nice looking games with good dialogue and animations, but the gameplay and fun of the games is severely lacking for me.  

5/5/17 - Injustice: Gods Among Us - 8/10 - I bought this on sale, and got to try it as a Backwards Compat title.  I typically am not a huge fan of fighting games, but I really loved this one.  I felt really at ease playing it as well.  I didn't spend any time with it past the story mode, but I can just simply tell it's a very well made fighting game, and the story is so well done.  Really hyped me up for Injustice 2.  

5/10/17 - NBA Playgrounds - 5.5/10 - I can't say I had huge expectations for this game, but it let me down even with those low expectations.  The only cool thing about this game is the roster.  The gameplay, at launch at least, was just so bad.  You could shoot 90% from 3 all game, but timing out dunks or layups were a 50/50 crap shoot.  There was no reason at all to try dunking or shooting in close.  The gameplay was simply run to 3 point line and shoot, and win.  It was so bad, hopefully it'd been fixed with patches, but haven't tried it since beating all the initial tourneys.

5/13/17 - Last of Us - 8.5/10  Finally, got around to playing Last of Us.  I was grabbed immediately by the opening sequence.  I felt to myself, okay, I can see why people are so high on this game.  It was suspenseful, emotional, and really exciting and pulled me right in.  Then the real game started, and the first half of the game really pulled me right back out of it.  I played it on Hard, as I wasn't totally sure the right difficulty I should try it on.  The first areas weren't very interesting to explore, and felt a little too similar to an Uncharted game.  The "Infected" enemies were far more interesting than anything in Uncharted.  I'n not a huge fan of pure stealth games, but I did find the encounters at least much more bearable than Uncharted's encounters.  The one thing I really enjoyed about this game though was the scavenging.  You felt it was essential to your survival and ability to upgrade items.  I always am the the type to explore every area of most games, so this fit right in.  At times though, it felt like 75% of the gameplay was me scavenging, 25% was actual progressing the story.  The game definitely got better as it went along though.  I never felt the "feels" were anywhere as big as people hyped them up to be.  The dialogue in this game wasn't really any better than that from the Uncharted games, the only thing to differentiate was the fact she's a young girl your traveling with.  You do get more connected to the characters in the later chapters, but I probably let the hype levels of the stuff I read affect my expectations of what was really there.  It was a very good game, there is no doubt about it, and I am glad I finally played it.  Would I say it's one of the best game I've ever played, that'd never have crossed my mind during my time with it.  It also had some really really bad "bugs".  For game that tries to rely so much on realism and stealth, watching my AI companions crawling around at the feet of, and bumping into enemies trying to find me, and they simply can't see them, is pretty damning.  Especially when it's literally happening in like 50% of the areas I'm trying to be stealthy in.  All that being said, I am still looking forward to E3 and hopefully a little more insight into where they are going with the story.

5/21/17 - Injustice 2 - 9/10 - This game's story, just like the first, was very very well done.  The roster is quite huge.  I really wasn't sure what this game would have to offer outside of the story, but I've been playing daily since, and the Multiverse is a lot of fun, and the loot system and progression in the game is outstanding.  This game is far exceeded my expectations.  The Guild Challenges are also cool, but it does seem you need a rather sizable Guild to really complete them.  

(Ongoing) - Overwatch - 7.5/10 - I've played Overwatch off and one the entire year.  Played it as my main game last summer, took time off when BF1 hit, and the past month got back into it heavily.  It's an outstanding game for what it does.  The characters are diverse.  it's simple to get into, but very deep in gameplay strategy.  It probably is the game that gives me the most frustration and rage as well though.  You really need all 6 teammates to work in unison for success, which is the games biggest strength and weakness.  It's a game I know will be in rotation for me for a long time to come.

My last several completed games have been a study in contrast: three were extremely relaxing and two nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown.

The three that were not nerve-wracking were "walking simulators", namely:

- Firewatch

- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

I'm going to make a longer post discussing my thoughts on each of these, but the one that I enjoyed the most was by far "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture".  Pretty much everything "clicked" with me for that one, especially the voice acting which is probably the best -- if not THE best -- that I've ever heard in the "interactive entertainment medium".  There is something to be said for these types of experiences where you can soak in the narrative at a leisurely pace while looking around the world just to take it all in.

In SHARP contrast, the other two games were old-school, stomp-on-your-balls action titles that will make you question your life choices in playing them:  the Norse-themed Jotun and the heavy metal album art-inspired Slain: Back from Hell.  

Jotun takes its Norse roots VERY seriously to the extent that the voice acting is entirely in Icelandic.  There are some mild exploration activities for upgrades, but the vast majority of the gameplay involves battles against the Norse gods in order to earn your way into Valhalla.  As you can imagine, fighting against the Norse gods isn't gonna be a cakewalk, especially since Thora (your character) doesn't move particularly quickly so you're gonna be doing quite a bit of dodge rolling.  The hand-drawn visuals are an absolute delight to behold and really add to overall sense of being somewhere otherworldly while the soundtrack by Max LL pretty much nails the sense of intensity and triumph of the game.  All-in-all, Jotun is a great little package that has me really looking forward to Thunder Lotus's next project Sundered which is due for release in July.  If you're looking for a delightfully challenging little palette cleanser to play between major releases, then you simply cannot go wrong with Jotun!

Siain is a balls-to-the-wall hack n' slash action platformer that stakes a claim as the most metal game ever developed.  Hell, Curt Victor Bryant -- formerly of the metal band Celtic Frost -- contributed significantly to the soundtrack.  Slain pretty much nails all the hack n' slash genre tropes: skeletons, banshees, demon-like things, floaty-things that spit acid, etc. etc.  Look we're not exactly breaking new ground here, but that's the entire point!  The game is a pure throwback to the era when those types of games were a dime a dozen on early Nintendo and Sega systems.  The combat is pretty basic (a light sword attack, a heavy charged sword attack, and ranged casting), the platforming isn't something you're gonna sweat over, and the puzzles are...well, even though the game's description says that there are puzzles, I have absolutely no idea what they're talking about because I didn't encounter anything that seemed like a puzzle (Maybe they mean the few secret areas?  I have no idea!).  The main challenge in Slain is that you will have to sometimes do a helluva lot of fighting (sometimes against sub-bosses) and platforming in between save checkpoints and considering that your warrior character is relatively weak and you don't get health recharges except at the save points, well...be prepared to die a LOT (hell, there's an achievement/trophy for the first time you die and one for when you die 100 times!) and get sick of seeing certain areas over and over again.  In contrast to this, the actual boss gameplay is surprisingly not-so-frustrating at all because the attack patterns are pretty easy to figure out and counter.  With one exception: the boss known as Mother Beholder.  Seriously, I hope whoever designed that boss gets lice in their pubic hair.   While I don't quite hold Slain in the same high regard as Jotun, you really can't go wrong picking this one up on sale from Steam, GOG, PSN, or XBL.  

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon - 8/10. This is a really well crafted, very fun game at it's core. There are basic gameplay principles that are expanded on very well and I didn't find the game ever dragged or became boring. The only area I didn't enjoy was a particular boss battle as it didn't feel 'fair' and was just annoying. I am biased though as the original was my first Gamecube game and I loved it, so I was pretty much guaranteed to like this. 

Since I've still got PS4 and Wii U games to finish, I think I'm going to pick up another 3DS game as handheld gaming suits me at the moment.

Working on some games in my backlog and I finally finished FAR CRY 3 yesterday after playing it off and on for the past four years. Well made game but it got a little bloated towards the end and I was eager for it to be over 7/10. I still have FAR CRY 4 unplayed but I heard that one is a little more focused apparently. Gonna hold off on playing that one and work on finishing HORIZON ZERO DAWN and QUANTUM BREAK.