SFLUFAN

~*The D1P 2017 Game Completion Thread*~

Tales from the Borderlands.

Played episode one when it first came out, then forgot to continue after thinking it wasn't super special. Finally decided to get back to it and did four episodes in two days. Really enjoyed it. Gotta play Michonne and Batman next to be caught up on our TellTale collection.

Didn't beat a single game last year, so I've got some catch up to do.

Finished Shovel Knight.  Fantastic game overall, the boss battles and soundtrack especially. 9/10

My only complaint is that most all the ways you die are from bottomless pits and spikes.  It's very intentional about it, in a way not even the old Megaman's were.  It's like they used the new death system (where you recover treasure from where you died) as an excuse.

It's still definitely worth the $10 it usually goes on sale for, especially with the new levels and playable character coming.

I finished Ratchet & Clank.  It was a pretty fantastic game, suitably challenging in the right parts and I have enough to go back to finish off that I'll get another few hours of fun out of it.

Just saw that the Shovel Knight composer has a hell of a resume.  Makes sense.

https://virt.bandcamp.com/music

15 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I finished Ratchet & Clank.  It was a pretty fantastic game, suitably challenging in the right parts and I have enough to go back to finish off that I'll get another few hours of fun out of it.

I might start on that soon, I've never played a Ratchet game before.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Me neither.  The story itself was decent, though the actual gameplay was fantastic and the pacing was spot on.  I would thoroughly recommend starting it ASAP.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Same here. Took advantage of a Gamestop sale last week that had it brand new for $10  and picked it up. 

Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 (PC)

Beat the first two on xbox when they originally came out but never got around to 3 for some reason. Don't have my 360 or my game saves so I have gone back and played through 1 and 2 this month on PC.  They both hold up fairly well and I was able to mod them with high res textures, controller support (should have had this in the first damn place), and play them in 4k on my TV. Now finally, finally on to 3, but I am taking a break to finish Last Guardian first since I have it out from Gamefly.

Borderlands: The Presequel (PC)

Played it with my husband. Not nearly as good as 2, but a solid entry worth a play if you've got someone to play with and have an itch for more Borderlands. We'll wait to get the DLC when it's dirt cheap, though.

Tomb Raider 2013.

Great game overall.  I've never played an Uncharted game before, so it's going to be interesting comparing it to those now that I own the collection. I wish the collectables amounted to more (I did 100% it).  And the last boss felt a lot like a mini-boss before the final encounter with how they set it up.

Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition)

Deserves the praise it gets.  It isn't the best indie Metroid-like out there, but it's close.  All the movement systems are fantastic, and that's really where it shines.

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Tomb Raider 2013.

Great game overall.  I've never played an Uncharted game before, so it's going to be interesting comparing it to those now that I own the collection. I wish the collectables amounted to more (I did 100% it).  And the last boss felt a lot like a mini-boss before the final encounter with how they set it up.

Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition)

Deserves the praise it gets.  It isn't the best indie Metroid-like out there, but it's close.  All the movement systems are fantastic, and that's really where it shines.

Tomb Raider is a GREAT game! I have Rise of Tomb Raider I need to start playing. 

Shadow Warrior 2

This COULD have been the FPS of 2016.  All the elements are there: stupid humor, great combat gameplay, pretty art style, bad ass enemies, a better shoot n' loot system than Borderlands,etc.  But where it falls short when compared to DOOM (the actual FPS of 2016) are the actual game levels themselves.  Holy cow - are they ever BLAND!

The reason for this is quite simply the procedurally-generated system for the levels robs them of any uniqueness or style.  I'm guessing this is because the tile-sets used for the levels are limited so the combinations repeat themselves often.  I'm pretty sure I experienced the same tile-set combinations multiple times during my playthrough of the campaign which kinda detracted from the overall experience.  Now, because the game is primarily designed as a co-op looter/shooter, I suppose this is understandable from a design standpoint, but more variety in the tile-sets would have gone a long way to enhancing the overall experience.

Beat Axiom Verge, Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition, and Cloudbuilt, in the past two weeks

Axiom was pretty good, but weapons never felt like I was getting more powerful, just different options, which has its pros and cons. Movement felt really slow, which I know some metroidvanias are that way I just really wish it had a dash button or that you could use the coat ability faster. Some Engrish moments in the game and wasn't overly satisfied by the story, but all in all it was very enjoable. 7/10.

Ori I've run through once already so most of it is pretty fresh in my mind. Gameplay is done really well here and has my preferred speed, however the game doesn't feel overly hard. The hardest parts are the escape sequences, enemies don't ever pose that much of a threat. Soundtrack is still amazing, story is pretty basic, stuff added in definitive edition doesn't add a whole lot. Still my favorite metroidvania in recent years. 8.25/10

Cloudbuilt caught me by surprise, bought it on a steam sale because it looked fun, then I started watching YT play throughs and it progressively lost my interest so it sat in my backlog for a really long time. It's a really fun platformer, but difficulty spikes can get pretty high on some levels at least for my skill and I ended up only getting 3 of the various ending levels. That said it's an addicting game, sad to see it's so short, I spent a lot of time redoing levels that I knew I wouldn't beat just to see if I could get a little further. I paid 0 attention to the story, her voice didn't appeal to me at all in the beginning of the game, by the time I became accustomed to it I was so far in I didn't care. Graphics look rough, but they work, it's not horrible to look at it. Soundtrack works well, but nothing sticks out in my memory. 7/10

Edit: man tapatalk hates me

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

I beat Nioh. I'd give it an 8/10. In no way is it a 10/10. If anything I'd say it could switch between a 7/10 and 8/10. Like some times it feels like an 8 and other times a 7. With there only being 25 or less enemies it gets really boring fighting the same crap over an over again. That 25 isn't including bosses. The are a good amount of bosses. Not too many, not too little. But not all posses are equal. I can't say that there is a #1 best boss, but there are some fun ones. On the other hand, some bosses feel like just fodder as the the amount of effort required is pretty low. Not only that, but that game seems harder than a souls game at first(at least IMO), but I found my self only dying on a few bosses. I beat most of them on the first try. Out of the last 3 bosses (all on the final level) I only dies once to one of them, and that is because I didn't expect to basically get 1-hit.

Levels are actually quite short. Getting from the start to the finish would take no time at all. The first mission can be beaten in under 4 minutes. Of course, that is if you do absolutely no exploration. Most my high play times is because I found everything on each level before I challenged the boss the ends the mission. I made sure to kill every enemy at least once on each level. 

The story... well there really isn't any, but there are some story like things. If you know the history of this period in Japan, you will actually like the story and feel like there is more story in the game than you first thought. I actually didn't know much before playing this game. But it turns out, William is there for some pretty major events. Sersiously, if you want to enjoy this game for everything it is worth, watch this series by Extra Credits. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5A649vEQk37316BH8FsaU24

The story wraps up with not leaving much room for a sequel. Not that I expected one, but I'd like to continue the adventures of William. Mainly I feel there is more to be explored with William's allies. That is actually where the game shows a major weakness. Plenty of characters, but hardly any story to go with them. The Love, friendship, and hate William has towards is never explored. Which sucks because they are interesting, but it is like having a cake but not being able to eat it. Having the cake isn't good enough. Eating the cake is what needs to be done. Nioh gives you all these Japaneses Samurai/Ninja/Mage cakes, but you just get to stare at them from a distance. 

And about William. You don't really learn shit about him. I mean, there are come codex entries, but they don't tell much. He basically a man on a mission and that's it. Loves, likes, hates, or any kind of feelings are not expressed. There are some cool things about William and his Spirit that give me hope for a possible sequel, but it is unlikely.

Well, even though I beat it, I still have two submissions left to do, and NG+. NG+ isn't quite like the Dark Souls series. Instead of starting over, you can take on Way of the Strong versions of every mission. What I mean by that is every mission gets a harder version, but only one harder version. There is no NG++. Once you beat all of the Way of the Strong missions, that is it. They don't get any harder than that. 

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - A Criminal Past DLC

If we're not going to see another Deus Ex title for a very long time to come, then this was perhaps the most mediocre, damp squib way for the series to go out.  The previous DLC "System Rift" was so much more interesting than this one which entirely takes place in an Arizona supermax prison for augs and is actually a flashback to one of Jensen's early missions for TF29.

You have the option to play this DLC "aug-less" which is how I chose to do it and boy, was that ever a mistake!  Playing without augs really turns the gameplay into a tedious slog because you're really deprived of the usual multiple options to approach a situation (especially if you're a pure stealth/non-lethal player like me).

The prison environments were "OK", but not particularly interesting.  It just didn't motivate me to explore the area as much as I usually do in a Deus Ex game.  As for the plot, it was the usual mishmash of near-incoherent conspiratorial nonsense, but

Dear God, Eidos! ANOTHER plotline involving the harvesting of augs?!?  SERIOUSLY?!?!  How many times are your writers going go to go to THAT particular well?!?!?

The plot added NOTHING to Mankind Divided whatsoever so if you're expecting any further insights into the events in Prague, you can safely set aside those right now.

In summary, this was a disappointing way for Deus Ex to exit the collective gaming consciousness for the foreseeable future.  This DLC wasn't "bad", it was just...there.

The Last Guardian - I enjoyed it warts and all. I'm a sucker for Team ICO though.

XCOM Enemy Within - finally four years later I beat it. Had to set it to easy, haha. Loved finally building up and getting super powerful though.

Need to work on Mass Effect 3 before Andromeda but I will be getting Horizon Zero Dawn from Gamefly next week sooo, yeah.

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past on 3DS.

Took me 85 hours, but I finally beat it. Overall, I really liked it, but it was somewhat too long, given how slow parts of it went. I look forward to playing VIII, but I'm giving myself a break so I don't feel burnt out on the series.