Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Dragon Quest VIII This Friday on 3DS! Getting Great Reviews!!

Comet    882

Well turns out Amazon fucked up my order which is a rarity so I wouldn't get it until their next shipment of games which would be 2-3 weeks from now. So I went to Best Buy and got a copy. I'll start it after I'm done catching a few more Pokémon in Moon, so addicting haha

Biggie_Rich    1,197
On 1/22/2017 at 3:50 PM, Comet said:

Graphics are definitely rough on the 3DS

Is the game worth downloading? I feel burned by DQ VII and don't wanna throw another $40 away. 

Comet    882
2 hours ago, Biggie_Rich said:

Is the game worth downloading? I feel burned by DQ VII and don't wanna throw another $40 away. 

If you felt burned by DQ7 I lean more towards telling you not to get it. It's got a more streamline presentation, there's voice over for story dialogue, but the battle system is very identical. The pace is slightly better but it's still very much a classic JRPG type of pace. It's also a massive game so it's not something like Pokemon which you can go through in say 15-20 hours. For me, I got it because I know the Switch will have dead periods and I can play this game. Though with the Switch only being a few weeks away, I know I'm not going to beat this or try very hard to progress through it. 

Comet    882
12 minutes ago, Biggie_Rich said:

@Comet Does VIII play more like a traditional DQ game? Like the ones for the DS? I loved those. Something about the game mechanics of VII didn't grab me. 

I'd say it's more like VII than the DS trilogy. However the story isn't anywhere near as rough in pacing as VII's

Biggie_Rich    1,197
Just now, Comet said:

I'd say it's more like VII than the DS trilogy. However the story isn't anywhere near as rough in pacing as VII's

Hhhmmmm, guess I'll watch some YouTube game reviews tonight before I purchase it off the eShop. Thanks for the info.