• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CayceG

Trump's policy: Peace through Strength

132 posts in this topic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-to-focus-on-peace-through-strength-over-obamas-soft-power-approach/2016/12/28/286770c8-c6ce-11e6-8bee-54e800ef2a63_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_softpower-1150a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.da17ae2f7cdb

President-elect Donald Trump has stacked his Cabinet with military generals, pushed for more Pentagon spending and a bigger Navy, threatened to slap tariffs on China and Mexico and, last week, suggested that he was open to expanding the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

The aim, he has said, is to achieve “peace through strength.”

If Trump follows through with this confrontational approach, it will represent a sharp break with the multifaceted foreign policy strategy that both Democratic and Republican presidents have practiced for decades, including reliance on what diplomats call “soft power” to achieve objectives and avoid conflict. Instead, aides say, Trump views foreign policy as largely transactional and his goal is to win by talking and acting tough.

Hard power is in now. It's 1983 again, baby!

The more I see of Trump's foreign policy, the more impressed I get. He's got a tall order in front of him, though. The amount of damage the current administration has done to the US's standing in the world is astronomical. It won't be an easy task to reverse it. But Trump has been making great cabinet picks, which leaves me hopeful.

His economic policies are still a clusterfuck of protectionist idiocy, though. But at least he has his heart set on strengthening the US - something that couldn't be said about the current administration. An incompetent buffoon who is pro-American is far preferable to a highly competent anti-American ideologue like Obama.

Is D1P still looking to add content? I suggest giving dvd his own column.  

When DVD says America's standing in the world has dropped under Obama, he means in places like Russia and Israel. In places like the UK, Germany, France, Japan, Australia, Canada, China, and others, it has gone up. And those matter a lot more.

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Is D1P still looking to add content? I suggest giving dvd his own column.  

Better yet, a podcast with DVD and Markot.

If you're impressed by Trump's foreign policy you were never against him at all.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

When DVD says America's standing in the world has dropped under Obama, he means in places like Russia and Israel. In places like the UK, Germany, France, Japan, Australia, Canada, China, and others, it has gone up. And those matter a lot more.

No, I mean in all places.

4 minutes ago, Engel said:

The last 8 years have been an unquestionable disaster in terms of foreign policy.

Seeing as that is not obvious, it can't be unquestionable. I do admit that Obama has made mistakes and some bad decisions, but could you explain how it's been a disaster?

1 hour ago, heyyoudvd said:

The more I see of Trump's foreign policy, the more impressed I get. He's got a tall order in front of him, though. The amount of damage the current administration has done to the US's standing in the world is astronomical. It won't be an easy task to reverse it. But Trump has been making great cabinet picks, which leaves me hopeful.

His economic policies are still a clusterfuck of protectionist idiocy, though. But at least he has his heart set on strengthening the US - something that couldn't be said about the current administration. An incompetent buffoon who is pro-American is far preferable to a highly competent anti-American ideologue like Obama.

Ladies and gentleman, the most Anti-Trump posten on these boards.

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Seeing as that is not obvious, it can't be unquestionable. I do admit that Obama has made mistakes and some bad decisions, but could you explain how it's been a disaster?

It is obvious though.

Iran

Iraq

Syria

Libya

Egypt

Yemen

Russian reset

China

Israel 

He's Jimmy Carter 2.0

17 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Ladies and gentleman, the most Anti-Trump posten on these boards.

How many times are you going to repost this dumb line? You're starting to sound like an automaton.

I still remain the harshest critic of Trump on this board. The difference is that I criticize him for his actual policies, whereas you guys just go around shouting slogans about how he's a racistsexistbigothomophobe™.

Our foreign policy has been a mess the last 16 years.  I doubt there is an optimal approach to our foreign policy objectives.  If Trump wants to make the US more confrontational, then how far will he be willing to take the country?  A military confrontation with China over their bases in the South China Sea?  A harder line with North Korea?  Military action against Iran's nuclear capability?

This doesn't even touch on cyber warfare ... in which there are no rules for engagement.

1 hour ago, heyyoudvd said:

I still remain the harshest critic of Trump on this board.

Absolutely! Without you and Markot, this board would be nothing but Trump lovers!

If you're trying to see the good in Trump you're doing anti-Trump wrong.

Even then, if you didn't believe the Electoral College should have felt obligated to deny Trump the presidency then you are nowhere near the beginning of the line. Sit down.

Of course DVD loves trump now

A draft dodging coward willing to send young Americans to die for a nation he has nothing but an affinity for will resonate with him mightily.

Peace is secured through strength though.

Soft power is nice and all but it crumbles so easily when hard power comes to meet it. Not to mention soft power has as much blow back as hard.

Just now, Anathema- said:

Trump has no strength.

To paraphrase B5.

Hes a bully, his only real strength is tricking others into doing things he's not able to.

Bone spurs are no joke!

14 minutes ago, RicoFoley said:

Yep, Syria sure would be less of a clusterfuck if we had slightly more nukes.

No. Syria would be less of a clusterfuck if you decided on a course of action and acted upon it.

Want Assad gone? Do it. Dont just funnel a few weapons and tanks here and there so that hopefully after a few years he falls and the chaos isnt your problem.

Again, this is after all the soft power that helped to begin the uprising in Syria and the shit that went into that.

You wanted to get rid of Assad, you didnt want to do what needed to be done to achieve that goal. The US had years to do something. It chose to do nothing of impact and to wait.

End result? 10 million+ displaced. Refugee chaos in the region. Hundreds of thousands dead. And what? You didnt achieve a single goal there.

Soft power in Syria was essentially worthless when hard power came to town.

57 minutes ago, markot said:

No. Syria would be less of a clusterfuck if you decided on a course of action and acted upon it.

Want Assad gone? Do it. Dont just funnel a few weapons and tanks here and there so that hopefully after a few years he falls and the chaos isnt your problem.

Again, this is after all the soft power that helped to begin the uprising in Syria and the shit that went into that.

You wanted to get rid of Assad, you didnt want to do what needed to be done to achieve that goal. The US had years to do something. It chose to do nothing of impact and to wait.

End result? 10 million+ displaced. Refugee chaos in the region. Hundreds of thousands dead. And what? You didnt achieve a single goal there.

Soft power in Syria was essentially worthless when hard power came to town.

Maybe Australia should do something about it? Fuckin' Turnbull