• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $840 (as of 06 February)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucian04

Obama on Political Correctness "Don't just go around looking for insults"

3 posts in this topic

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/21/president-obama-on-political-correctness

I don't agree with Obama's attitude towards certain things, like failure to name Islamic Extremism as a problem, but he's absolutely correct here.

"My advice to progressives like myself, and advice I give my daughters who are about to head off to college is don't go around just looking for insults. You're tough. If someone says something you don't agree with, engage them on their ideas, but you don't have to feel that somehow because you're a black woman, you're being assaulted. But speak up for yourself."

"But conservatives have their own, nationalist version of PC, their own set of rules regulating speech, behavior and acceptable opinions. I call it "patriotic correctness." It's a full-throated, un-nuanced, uncompromising defense of American nationalism, history and cherry-picked ideals. Central to its thesis is the belief that nothing in America can't be fixed by more patriotism enforced by public shaming, boycotts and policies to cut out foreign and non-American influences."

The president then offered two definitions of political correctness: the first is simply having good manners. It's wrong to shout racial epithets at people, or to verbally harass them. Objecting to abusive treatment isn't an example of political-correctness-run-amok—or if it is, then political correctness is a good thing. Most people probably want to live in a country where people are encouraged not to scream obscenities at each other.

The second definition of political correctness, according to Obama, is "hypersensitivity that ends up resulting in people not being able to express their opinions at all without someone suggesting they're a victim."

And therein lies the rub: people conflate the first definition with the second. There is hypersensitivity abound, but what's also abound is the fact that many people want to be dismissive of political correctness simply because they want licenses to be assholes.

26 minutes ago, -Chris said:

many people want to be dismissive of political correctness simply because they want licenses to be assholes.

I think hypersensitivity is also often used to the same end. You don't want to engage someone on their ideas, so you find some minor reason to be offended, claim such offense only comes from ignorance or hatred, and it therefore nullifies any argument being presented.

I agree with Obama here that it's silly to suggest that conservatives don't have their own version of political correctness, it's simply different because it revolves around a different ideology.