CayceG

Oh my fuck - Trump picks Exxon CEO Tillerson for SECSTATE - Tillerson DOES know Putin

Let's be real though, it doesn't matter; if Tillerson didn't make it through, it's not like Trump is going to nominate Romney instead. He'll just tweet and throw a tantrum and try to hold everyone's balls to the fire until they give him Tillerson.

5 minutes ago, -Chris said:

Let's be real though, it doesn't matter; if Tillerson didn't make it through, it's not like Trump is going to nominate Romney instead. He'll just tweet and throw a tantrum and try to hold everyone's balls to the fire until they give him Tillerson.

Which means that the GOP will get who they REALLY want: Bolton.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Boo... Trump press conference right in the middle of this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Almost like it's intentionally distracting...

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Boo... Trump press conference right in the middle of this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Smart!

Here's the thing...

The domestic media is flipping out saying Tillerson is bombing. Rubio is getting a lot of coverage, and the "is Putin a war criminal" question is so obviously NOT something a SECSTATE would answer. 

The journalists I follow on twitter that cover Russia are saying Tillerson is sounding more and more like a standard SECSTATE, aside from the statement he made about not having discussed Russia policy with Trump. 

Overall, let's not make any assumptions before the hearing is even over. 

I'm more comfortable with Tillerson than Bolton because I have some reasonable degree of faith that Tillerson won't decide to bomb Iran for the lulz.

13 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm more comfortable with Tillerson than Bolton because I have some reasonable degree of faith that Tillerson won't decide to bomb Iran for the lulz.

Valuable oil in them parts.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

The domestic media is flipping out saying Tillerson is bombing. Rubio is getting a lot of coverage, and the "is Putin a war criminal" question is so obviously NOT something a SECSTATE would answer. 

The journalists I follow on twitter that cover Russia are saying Tillerson is sounding more and more like a standard SECSTATE, aside from the statement he made about not having discussed Russia policy with Trump. 

I still don't feel like I know enough about him, but overall I'm not hearing terrible things about Tillerson. At least he's getting overshadowed by Sessions.

I am willing to overlook such things for a qualified candidate. Which is why I am fine with Mattis even with the reasonable argument that civilian control of the military should be something taken very seriously.

But my default position is that fucking Exxon should not be in charge of our foreign policy unless Tillerson can prove himself to be a phenomenal candidate.

His past with flouting U.S. sanctions against Russia not only speaks to the immediate issue of Trump's ties with Russia, but also his overall loyalty and priorities. One wonders why a man would even leave a lifelong job at Exxon unless it were to ultimately serve that companies interest over the U.S's. Put simply....what about Rex Tillerson should give me confidence that when he's sitting in the office he is more concerned with the U.S. than about how a decision will effect his bonus when he rejoins Exxon in 6 years?

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I am willing to overlook such things for a qualified candidate. Which is why I am fine with Mattis even with the reasonable argument that civilian control of the military should be something taken very seriously.

But my default position is that fucking Exxon should not be in charge of our foreign policy unless Tillerson can prove himself to be a phenomenal candidate.

His past with flouting U.S. sanctions against Russia not only speaks to the immediate issue of Trump's ties with Russia, but also his overall loyalty and priorities. One wonders why a man would even leave a lifelong job at Exxon unless it were to ultimately serve that companies interest over the U.S's. Put simply....what about Rex Tillerson should give me confidence that when he's sitting in the office he is more concerned with the U.S. than about how a decision will effect his bonus when he rejoins Exxon in 6 years?

I read in a Bloomberg article that Exxon executives are forced to retire at 65 (which he will be this year); whether or not that's true I'm not entirely certain.

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Which means that the GOP will get who they REALLY want: Bolton.

Rand Paul's already stated Bolton is a categorical "no fucking way" for him so that already shifts it to 51-49.

Does the VP get his tiebreaking vote on cabinet nominations?

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Trump's team is re-framing Session's racism as a heroic fight against the black hordes.

Yeah, Session, what a racist. He's so racist he wanted to weigh down poor old Rosa Parks' neck with a congressional gold medal.

1 hour ago, Fuhrer D said:

Yeah, Session, what a racist. He's so racist he wanted to weigh down poor old Rosa Parks' neck with a congressional gold medal.

The Coretta Scott King letter that she wrote to plead with the Senate to not confirm Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III in 1986.

“The irony of Mr. Sessions’ nomination is that, if confirmed, he will be given a life tenure for doing with a federal prosecution what the local sheriffs accomplished twenty years ago with clubs and cattle prods,” she wrote, later adding, “I believe his confirmation would have a devastating effect on not only the judicial system in Alabama, but also on the progress we have made toward fulfilling my husband’s dream.”