• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason

Samsung discovers COURAGE!

104 posts in this topic

Still has a headphone jack, S8+ is likely going to be my new phone, time to retire my Note 5.

I'm still probably going to jump on this for the free VR, but fuck it's disappointing the camera is the same, and battery life might not be improved. The battery life on my S7 Edge was for shit. 

I can't find anywhere if they copied Apple and put stereo speakers on the phone. 

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

I'm still probably going to jump on this for the free VR, but fuck it's disappointing the camera is the same, and battery life might not be improved. The battery life on my S7 Edge was for shit. 

Camera should be improved a bit, a bunch of software optimizations and such plus a new 8MP front camera with auto-focus should take amazing selfies. I'm not really worried about the battery life either, 3500mAh should be enough to last me through the day on the S8+ considering the efficiency of the SD835 over the 821, and all new samsung devices on Android 7 will run by default a resolution of 1080p for better battery life and you always have the option of enabling the once default 1440p resolution. I have big hopes here, plus they're bundling in $100 AKG headphones to boot. :) The battery on my Note 5 is just appalling now, it's clear the capacity has taken a shit over the last year, I am lucky to get 2 hours of SoT, used to get over 4. I am gonna miss the fluidness of the Exynos CPU though, hopefully the 835 won't disappoint.

The DeX thing is so stupid and worthless. Maybe it'll be worthwhile in a future where:

1 - Most monitors support USB-C, and therefore you don't need a separate dock.

2 - They have, at the very least, a desktop class browser.

For now, you're almost always better off just getting a chromebook or even an Intel Compute stick.

Bixby seems largely pointless. It feels like Samsung's admission that they suck at software. They had to buy a company to get a voice assistant just so you don't have to deal with their terrible software. The AR stuff is kind of cool, but it also feels like the kind of thing that we've seen before (Google Goggles and Amazon's Firefly) that isn't really useful enough to use consistently.

It's also very disappointing that the camera is basically unchanged. If there's one item that everyone appreciates from new phones, it's the better camera. 

Putting the finger print sensor next to the camera seems like a boneheaded move. I guess they want you to use the facial scanning (which looks to work pretty well), but I assume that doesn't work for things like NFC payments. Just put it in the middle like everyone else. It's not as if Samsung has ever been shy about stealing.

Still, it's a freaking beautiful phone. I haven't used any curved screen phones for more than a few moments, so I can't say if I would actually like it on a day to day basis, but it looks gorgeous. Bravo to Samsung for packing in good earbuds and including a headphone jack. I also appreciate that they have expandable storage and waterproofing. The new controller will also make a big difference in VR.

I really hope Google can step up their hardware game for the next Pixel. It was never a great looking phone, but between this, the G6, the phone Andy Rubin is teasing, and whatever Apple does with the new iPhone, it's shaping up to be a great year for phone design.

It's beautiful, I'll give it that.  Even though my contract is up on my current Galaxy, I probably won't upgrade.  I'm holding onto things longer nowadays.

12 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

It's beautiful, I'll give it that.  Even though my contract is up on my current Galaxy, I probably won't upgrade.  I'm holding onto things longer nowadays.

S6 is still a great phone, but that battery... I don't know how you stayed with it this long.

I'm going to take the dive and preorder it tonight. With my plan, I don't have to put any money down, and I'll get the free Gear VR, so why not. 

If the Orchid Gray was a little more purple, I'd be all over it, but I'll be going for Midnight Black. 

Samsung doesn't support their phones well at all. And their own software is generally awful...

Nothing really appealing about this phone other than the bezel.

I have an s6, ill probably wait to see what Apple does. Phones have gotten boring.

Why?

It doesnt seem all that great outside of the screen.

Bixby will be annoying, guaranteed.

Samsung apps that you cant remove but which are inferior to most alternatives.

Updates will not be prompt at all and come the s9 you will be ignored almost completely.

The finger print sensor is in a stupid place according to everyone.

Same battery life.

Eh?????

Very underwhelming.

I've been reading a bit about the LG G6.  Seems like an all around solid phone(screen looks great).  Last year's chipset though, but I don't think Snapdragon 835 is dramatically better than 821.  Not saying that I'll get it, but it would be on my list of candidates.  Admittedly, I haven't touched an LG Phone since the flip phone days(had a VX6000)

I see that Verizon(my carrier) has the Google Pixel. . . .hope that's being handled better than they handled the Galaxy Nexus.

Or. . .maybe I'll wait until the Note 8 comes along.

None of the phones really feel like theyre worth the asking price anymore.

I mean.... bleh?

Agreed.  Phones and tablets are pretty dull now.  I'm keeping my current phone longer, and as for tablet, hell, my Fire HD 8 is good enough for what I do with a tablet.  My days of spending hundreds for a tablet are over.

Tablets are pretty dead and are converging with Laptops.

Bascially what I get if I upgrade my s6 to any new flagship is.... better battery life and a slightly smoother experience and a not very noticable camera improvement.... for $1300 bucks in Australia? Bleh.

And yet they keep pumping up the price of the flagships too, even though they actual changes dont seem to warrant those at all. Samsung is giving away $200+ dollars worth of stuff with the S8. I mean they could easily knock that price off the cost, yet with the way mobile phones are sold, its all sort of hidden in monthly fees and the like so they can pad it out.

When Apple releases a new phone with less bezel and oled, the price will go up. Even though costs barely will.

Its essentially become a great profit source for Apple and Samsung but with nothing really behind it all value wise or in any relation to the costs. And that is why the Chinese brands are eating into their market share. Even as status symbols theyre losing their appeal because.... theres nothing that different between a new phone and a 3 year old one.

So you know that Siri/Google Assistant competitor that Samsung developed? You know how Samsung has been hyping the hell out of this new Bixby assistant for the Galaxy S8? You know how this feature was so important that Samsung gave it its own dedicated hardware button on the GS8?

It isn't even shipping with the Galaxy S8.

Yes, that's right. Bixby has been delayed until later in the spring.

lulz.

6 hours ago, heyyoudvd said:

So you know that Siri/Google Assistant competitor that Samsung developed? You know how Samsung has been hyping the hell out of this new Bixby assistant for the Galaxy S8? You know how this feature was so important that Samsung gave it its own dedicated hardware button on the GS8?

It isn't even shipping with the Galaxy S8.

Yes, that's right. Bixby has been delayed until later in the spring.

lulz.

Only the ability to use it with your voice. The  core functionality will be there. 

5 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Only the ability to use it with your voice. The  core functionality will be there. 

Bixby is essentially Samsung's combination of 3 services:

1. An assistant like Siri/Google Assistant, along with additional voice-based controls of the UI.

2. Proactive cards like Google Now or Apple's Proactivity widgets

3. Google Goggles

I'd say that #1 is the core functionality. It's far more significant than the other two, and it's the one that's not shipping.

22 minutes ago, heyyoudvd said:

Bixby is essentially Samsung's combination of 3 services:

1. An assistant like Siri/Google Assistant, along with additional voice-based controls of the UI.

2. Proactive cards like Google Now or Apple's Proactivity widgets

3. Google Goggles

I'd say that #1 is the core functionality. It's far more significant than the other two, and it's the one that's not shipping.

Thanks for the breakdown of semantics. 

It's not semantics. Samsung fucked up royally here. :P

#1 IS included. The only thing that isn't is voice activation. Which is part of that functionality. To say Bixby is missing is disingenuous at best. How important voice commands are is subjective on a user to user basis. 

Personally, I don't use Siri very often at all. What I'm really looking forward to is the personalized Bixby page. While I enjoy the News app on iPhone, it fucking auto scrolls every time you open it and it's annoying as fuck. There might have been an article I wanted to read early in the day, but didn't have time to and didn't go into it to save it. I close the app. When I go back into it later in the day, it auto populates with new items and fuck all if you want to try and find what you wanted to see from earlier. 

How is #1 included without voice activation? That feature is entirely based around your voice.

No one is buying this phone for Bixby.

Its about the screen.

I ended up signing up for this phone cause it had a great deal and my s6 was out of contract.

The location of the fingerprint scanner is unfortunate.  

I can't figure out why there is a dedicated physical button for Bixby.  If Samsung is going to add another physical button why not something useful like the iPhone's silence switch?

I was hoping Samsung would have the courage to kill the headphone jack.

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I can't figure out why there is a dedicated physical button for Bixby.  If Samsung is going to add another physical button why not something useful like the iPhone's silence switch?

I think you can change the Bixby button to do other things. Not sure what the options are.