Sign in to follow this  
Jason

~Official Bitching About Victim Culture/Regressive Left/Etc. Thread~

1 hour ago, -Chris said:

So, is this what the board is about these days? Because threads like this, this, and this don't exactly give one much hope for any worthwhile discussion on here. :/

I can't see the threads anymore but if you disagree with a thread, you're free to challenge the status quo on the board or report people for abuses.

I can't see the threads anymore but if you disagree with a thread, you're free to challenge the status quo on the board or report people for abuses.

The threads were all combined into this one.

17 hours ago, Irreverent79 said:

I too would like to know which threads he was referring to and why he couldn't give a valid reason as to why he disagreed.  

I think I already know the answer

6 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I too would like to know which threads he was referring to and why he couldn't give a valid reason as to why he disagreed.  

I think I already know the answer

We D1Pd and went off on tangents as we are want to.

The threads were the ones about cultural appropriation in Uncharted, the Dark Souls one about privilege, and the one about victimhood being a great gig.  I honestly saw no need to have three or more threads that addressed roughly the same thing and all of which had few replies so I decided to create one thread for these issues.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

The threads were the ones about cultural appropriation in Uncharted, the Dark Souls one about privilege, and the one about victimhood being a great gig.  I honestly saw no need to have three or more threads that addressed roughly the same thing and all of which had few replies so I decided to create one thread for these issues.

Next time get my approval first... 

1 minute ago, kaberle said:

We D1Pd and went off on tangents as we are want to.

but I thought this was our Safe Place?!

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, I don't have any issue with consolidating them at all ftr. In fact, I think it'll make the board seem more inviting.

12 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Next time get my approval first... 

but I thought this was our Safe Place?!

Hetro cis white make shit lords don't get those doe. We're wrong for existing and not cow towing in every topic.

the other day I had a coworker trying to lecture me about white privelige and racial identity. I'm multi racial from a multi racial family. Now, despite her scientific ignorance, "what you only believe theories!?" After discussing my educational background and social theory she then preceded to tell me that I can't get the struggle. I pointed out two ethnicities with worse outcomes than black Americans and that being multi racial means I'm also precluded from whiteness often. She pretty much told me I'm white cause I look white. I laughed then lectured her for trying to tell my racial identity and such behavior is also a hallmark of privelige. Further that race isn't skin tone and white privelige isn't just reducible to pigmentation. Now, obviously I'm still wrong cause cis hetro looks white shit lord despite the truth and my educational background. 

5 minutes ago, kaberle said:

Hetro cis white make shit lords don't get those doe. We're wrong for existing and not cow towing in every topic.

the other day I had a coworker trying to lecture me about white privelige and racial identity. I'm multi racial from a multi racial family. Now, despite her scientific ignorance, "what you only believe theories!?" After discussing my educational background and social theory she then preceded to tell me that I can't get the struggle. I pointed out two ethnicities with worse outcomes than black Americans and that being multi racial means I'm also precluded from whiteness often. She pretty much told me I'm white cause I look white. I laughed then lectured her for trying to tell my racial identity and such behavior is also a hallmark of privelige. Further that race isn't skin tone and white privelige isn't just reducible to pigmentation. Now, obviously I'm still wrong cause cis hetro looks white shit lord despite the truth and my educational background. 

Hah, I pretty much dealt with the same shit on twitter last night. The woman eventually fell back on conspiratorial arguments and when I showed her that the facts didn't fit her narrative, I was blocked after "well white people rigged it".

Acknowledging privilege and luck has its place but I think the narrative is being actively used to try and vilify people at this point. It's a tiny point that will be at best irrelevant (and at worst fallacious) to most conceivable objective arguments about social issues anyway.

2 minutes ago, Irreverent79 said:

Acknowledging privilege and luck has its place but I think the narrative is being actively used to try and vilify people at this point. It's a tiny point that will be at best irrelevant (and at worst fallacious) to most conceivable objective arguments about social issues anyway.

I agree. I've absolutely had to explain what privelige is to people who went "nobody gave me anything" to upper middle class white people from the burbs before.

But white privilege doesn't explain why you failed sweety. My ex, despite her flaws, was the perfect example of that. First generation Mexican who was an ESL student and single parent household graduated from Hopkins and did research as an undergrad.

the privilege narrative is also used to explain personal failure. Well I'm not white sooo. You have three kids from three guys with no college education; that's why you fail.

11 minutes ago, kaberle said:

I agree. I've absolutely had to explain what privelige is to people who went "nobody gave me anything" to upper middle class white people from the burbs before.

But white privilege doesn't explain why you failed sweety. My ex, despite her flaws, was the perfect example of that. First generation Mexican who was an ESL student and single parent household graduated from Hopkins and did research as an undergrad.

the privilege narrative is also used to explain personal failure. Well I'm not white sooo. You have three kids from three guys with no college education; that's why you fail.

BUT YOU LOOK WHITE! YOU HAVE MORE PRIVILEGE THAN I DO!

1 minute ago, Lucian04 said:

BUT YOU LOOK WHITE! YOU HAVE MORE PRIVILEGE THAN I DO!

Shouldn't have been born the wrong color Beaner.

Ohwait.

2 minutes ago, kaberle said:

Shouldn't have been born the wrong color Beaner.

Ohwait.

Ha. Even though I'm mixed, I've always identified as Caucasian. I've enjoyed the luxuries of a rich family and I've endured abject poverty, living off of .50 cent boxes of no-name spaghetti in a terrible neighborhood where going out past 7pm was a dangerous prospect. Not once did I blame systematic oppression for the troubles my family went through. A combination of tragedy, bad decisions, natural disaster, depression and further bad decisions led to my family struggles. Instead of playing the victim, we, as a family, worked our way out of poverty and back into upper middle classdom. It was difficult, it was hard work, blood, sweat and tears and doing a lot of things we didn't want to or weren't used to doing. But we did it without playing the victim card or blaming others for our own failings. It seems to me that people would rather blame others for their own failings than own up to the fact that they fucked up or were simply dealt a bad hand in life. This doesn't mean that I don't recognize that there is any sort of oppression happening or that people are genuinely racist, sexist, etc. But I'm not ready to jump aboard the "blame whitey for all your troubles" train without good reason and so far, I've seen nothing but bullshit come out from the SJW/Intersectional feminist crowd who would happily deny reality in favor of their own feels.

Speaking of white privilege, this is going on right now.

I've seen a number of public intellectuals start posting stuff like this over the past few months.

23 hours ago, -Chris said:

So, is this what the board is about these days? Because threads like this, this, and this don't exactly give one much hope for any worthwhile discussion on here. :/

By worthwhile discussion you mean people nodding and agreeig with your SJW agenda, right? 

19 minutes ago, apoc81 said:

By worthwhile discussion you mean people nodding and agreeig with your SJW agenda, right? 

By all means, explain how I have a SJW agenda. I'll wait.

18 minutes ago, -Chris said:

By all means, explain how I have a SJW agenda. I'll wait.

You should probably first address the issues you seem to have with the other threads.  If you can't see why one would assume you have an SJW agenda, then please explain your disdain for the threads you pointed and mocked us for.  By all means, we are all very willing to have a discussion about the topic which is why the threads were posted.  If you are just coming here to talk down on any of us for having the same (logical/don'tkillwhitey) views, then you can take it elsewhere, however, if you would like to post your understanding or knowledge of the topics then please do so with open arms and an open mind.  

Good day sir

3 hours ago, Lucian04 said:

Speaking of white privilege, this is going on right now.

I've seen a number of public intellectuals start posting stuff like this over the past few months.

Unfortunately, I believe he works with quite a few privileged people who have a hard time understanding that just because they worked hard getting their college degree and found a good job and then have trouble understanding that they had a lot more help along the way than they are able to acknowledge.   

A lot of people have this belief that they are "self-made" when if you look back from the time of birth, most of what they can attribute to their own accomplishments only occurred based on their happenstances that helped shape their entire life.  

Having said that, it's not white privilege, its just privilege in general. Whites just tend to be the majority.  

4 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

You should probably first address the issues you seem to have with the other threads.  If you can't see why one would assume you have an SJW agenda, then please explain your disdain for the threads you pointed and mocked us for.  By all means, we are all very willing to have a discussion about the topic which is why the threads were posted.  If you are just coming here to talk down on any of us for having the same (logical/don'tkillwhitey) views, then you can take it elsewhere, however, if you would like to post your understanding or knowledge of the topics then please do so with open arms and an open mind.  

Good day sir

None of the threads I referenced had any discussion; it was all mockery and farce ('LOLOL check ur privilege shit lord!'). Besides, what discussion can really follow from something that is so egregiously wrong? I take no issue with the fact that people have mostly the same view (especially since it's the view I share), there's just no need for multiple 'Look at what this nutty tumblr feminist said! threads.

4 minutes ago, -Chris said:

None of the threads I referenced had any discussion; it was all mockery and farce ('LOLOL check ur privilege shit lord!'). Besides, what discussion can really follow from something that is so egregiously wrong? I take no issue with the fact that people have mostly the same view (especially since it's the view I share), there's just no need for multiple 'Look at what this nutty tumblr feminist said! threads.

I think a lot of people are having a hard time with the fact that this type of shit is actually happening and has the following it does.  I know I continually ask myself "Is this real life?"  especially when we get into our current state of affairs in the run for the White house to the entitled class of students who are shaping our future.  

Seriously, Is this real life right now??  FFS

2 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I think a lot of people are having a hard time with the fact that this type of shit is actually happening and has the following it does.  I know I continually ask myself "Is this real life?"  especially when we get into our current state of affairs in the run for the White house to the entitled class of students who are shaping our future.  

Seriously, Is this real life right now??  FFS

But there is absolutely no need for multiple threads with little or no substance to them that cover the same damned thing over and over again.  It's bloody tiresome, just like the Democratic Primary bitchfest threads on the CEB.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

But there is absolutely no need for multiple threads with little or no substance to them that cover the same damned thing over and over again.  It's bloody tiresome, just like the Democratic Primary bitchfest threads on the CEB.

I agree for the most part, but like I said before, next time get my approval first!  :P

On 5/9/2016 at 4:29 AM, gfxtwin said:

It might be possible to go too far with it:

So is it just me or is it pretty obvious that she's mentally disturbed? Her mannerisms, facial tics, and odd behavior show signs of a personality disorder, and probably exacerbated by extreme social anxiety. 

And I can attribute it directly to her diet, she's probably suffering from malnutrition, whatever she's drinking in that cup probably isn't water, is full of sugar, and only exacerbates her irrational behavior because not only is she probably suffering from a vitamin deficiency causing her to literally go from zero to 100, back to 25, go up to 60, go to 212 all within a few minutes in terms of her behavior (it's never really specific things anyone says but instead vague statements attributing to her odd behavior being considered n appropriate form of free speech screaming fuck you at the people speaking after they address that she's not acting appropriately and that free speech definitely doesn't apply when you're a public nuisance.) and what she's reacting to only makes the other people who are yelling even stupider (or religious) than her because she actually might have an excuse due to a mental illness.; whilst simultaneously it being all of her fault because her lack of caring about her own personal health enough to walk around the campus a few times a day instead of trying to headstart her career professionally sitting and eating, which is now manifesting as extremely socially antagonistic behavior that will mean that as long as she keeps treating herself that way on the inside, and out.

Until that chick either goes to a doctor and that doctor tells her some real shit and recommending a nutritionist; she's always going to feel disenfranchised, hated, and her opinions will not be considered thoughtful or serious, but just obnoxious and ironically shows how privileged her life is being able to afford decent clothes, corrective lenses for her eyesight which means she probably has healthcare, and of course her extremely privileged position of being able to literally eat an extremely high caloric diet with whatever food she has wanted whenever she has wanted. 

26 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I think Chris's objection was initially interpreted as the objection we've seen on the P&R board a bunch that "we're" not conducive to discussion because we ask people to substantiate their claims. That's the way I interpreted it at first but I agree there were too many threads. That's also why I tried to consolidate a Sam Harris thread the other day.

I think the public shaming of that trigglypuff (or whatever they called her) lady went way too far. She seems way out there to me. Watching social media go to town on her wasn't unlike watching a professional UFC fighter beat up a crippled child.

50 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

especially when we get into our current state of affairs in the run for the White house to the entitled class of students who are shaping our future.  

I firmly believe the latter is only considered an issue now due to the prevalence of the internet to jump on a story and wildfire reporting that makes something that was happening on one campus at one point in time for less than a couple of hours into the public psyche long enough that when another similar case of social outrage then unconsciously creating a semblance of connectivity between situations that are happening hundreds of miles apart by different people at relatively the same scale of being a public nuisance and then being disproportionately given attention in the media because stories about how today's "youth" is worse, more entitled, lazier, dumber gets more attention because it satisfies the preconceived notions that these students aren't the more likely scenario of them actually feeling the effects of those preconceived notions; which then creates a snowball effect that enables people who are very normal being put into 2 or 3 minutes of their lives at college protest into believing the issues they're being overly outraged over are being met with an even greater outrage and response for their mistaken outrage which only makes them feel justified in the end because they don't have the perspective of people 20-40 years older than them because to them this is the greatest conflict they've had to deal with in life. 

Buteven though more than likely 4 or 5 years from now they're probably going to be in a very different place in their life and will probably have actual issues that allow them the perspective that literally can only come from experience, we shuttle a generation into generalities that there is something wrong with the generation after that the previous one never had to deal with or from their perspective they handled social issues and college life with much more perspective and tolerance. When everything suggests that kids today are smarter, more progressive, and actually having better work ethics due to the fact that there are literally no fucking jobs that are available to students as a whole because literally everywhere you go to apply literally requires you to be the top of your class at an ivy league school for them to consider hiring a student who doesn't have experience but just graduated. They will be passed over for the person with experience even if they have demonstratibly worse work performance than you would give. 

Which means while you struggle to pay rent, and talk to your parents about moving back home because you still can't even start a job related to your field to gain the experience job creators require...and nearly 60% of college graduates move back in because they can't get hired, and it's not because they aren't looking, the youth unemployment rate is nearly 40% as a whole, and it's even more egregious when you go to different demographics 50-60% unemployment rate for minorities and these are educated adults. Not teens with summer jobs and then quitting when the school year starts, these are the ones that... they will more than likely go to minimum paid wage positions like fast food or retail. Or if you decide to say fuck it to the years you spent getting your degree with a hard labor job working in an oil field working over 100 hours a week going to the job site at dawn, and leaving literally when you can't even see what you're working on with heavy machinery. one job (I worked two jobs while going to school, sonic, and starbucks everyone who worked there were around my age and most had a second job they had to go to after their shift was over), no health insurance because the only jobs they can get are part time and corporations have already figured out how to cut your hours, pay you less, and still don't have to legally provide healthcare because you're not technically full time and aren't applicable.

So yeah, when you talk about entitled students please refrain from taking literally less than a few hundred people that get the attention from blogs and our joke of what journalism actually means for the 24/7 news cycle to be outraged by their PC outrage that has been occurring in the following age groups between 0-100 years old until this point where we're actually seeing the shittiest social and economic qualities of American capitalist, best nation evar, get your hands off mah guns being more about everyone than just your own bubble/safe space in response to how we're less discriminatory, more tolerant of any other kind of person, and less tolerant of religion. bit despite the groupthink that there is an epidemic of an entitled generation because we obviously deserve to be unemployed, without health insurance, extreme debt from the education that was pounded into our skulls that we couldn't do anything if we didn't basically financially cripple ourselves before we can even be financially independent on a scale that I would actually call endemic to my generation that the entitled generations before mine were able to take full advantage of by being provided cheap tuition and supplies including room and board. Now you you pay rent for room and board, along with the 1000% increase in tuition. 

I wound't say entitled because being entitled means you think you deserve a better chance than others. We just want the same chance that has been offered to millions of young people who were getting free educations, tripping on acid, protesting everything that made it to the news (remember this was back when the news was on for about 1 hour a day, and newspapers were a day behind in current events) retroactively taking away all of those opportunities completely, and using the money to cut taxes for the actual entitled fucks, and I would say  we're more pissed off that there is no accountability for the fucking horror show the generation before us caused. It's an objective reality that generation before the millenials are disproportionately more likely to deny almost every single important social, foreign, economic, climate, and health issue as completely made up and saying God's on our side so stop trying to fix things yourself, but millenials are the ones who understand the political system is rigged, understand that our healthcare system isn't actually about caring for people's health, out economy singles out the poor, minorities, students, young people, immigrants, and an abstaintment from theocratic ideals in policy making as being the solution to the seeping wound it already caused to keep things exactly as they are.