• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $840 (as of 06 February)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
Jason

~Official Bitching About Victim Culture/Regressive Left/Etc. Thread~

377 posts in this topic

In my experience, both sides are to blame for there being tension between atheism and feminism.

Like gaming, there is a legitimate problem where the group is made up of a lot of young men who act badly around women.

On the other hand, some of feminism orthodoxy is based more on emotion than logic, and that can put it at odds with guys like Harris and atheism in general which is rooted in a relentless pursuit of positions and belief structures based on the best argument, not on how you "feel".

With how sexist religion is, it's a real failure of the movement to be so predominantly male. They should be one of the easiest groups to show the negative effects of religion.

Though I think when you take a step back, in the big picture it's not so much about the active debate going on. It's that a lot of religious people are religious because they see it as synonymous with being "good". They go to church because they think it's what "good" people do. But more importantly, they raise their kids religious and take them to church because they want to raise their kids "right". And since women still tend to do the majority of the child rearing, that probably factors into the disparity.

I had a dog, when it was a puppy sometimes it would hurt itself, youd accidently almost step on it when it is running around your feet... etc...

When he yelped in pain, I would smother him in affection, treats and attention.  This would happen a few times of course because I felt so bad.

Then... he would yelp and pretend to be in immense pain over very clearly not big things. He would hit his paw one something a bit, and he would do the yelp and come to me for attention, affection and treats.  So I stopped doing it. And he stopped doing it, unless he was really genuinely hurt.

He went from a sook who tried to play the game to get attention and love from a little boo boo, to a dog that accepted pain as part of life, and would literally walk it off.

Is that what we do in society these days?

Its like the 'fat pride' people.  Instead of being unhealthy and having a problem with their weight. It becomes something that they are a victim of, but not a victim of sugar in everything, or our modern ways, but of 'unrealistic expectations of beauty', of fat shaming.... etc... they claim the badge of victimhood to shield themselves from the consequences of their own actions. (Obviously there are people with real problems who are overweight, but 99% of them eat too much and dont move enough)

(Obviously not just fat people, pretty much every group now other than white 'normal' males is a victim)

And people feel good about themselves consoling a 'victim'.

Just look at poverty.  Poor black/latinos are victims of this or that (Always external forces).  While poor white people and Asians? Feh. Poor white people are pretty much the only group everyone can make fun of, and not feel bad about.

Its all about identity politics these days. And the trump card is an oppressed identity, so every singly group finds a way to play the oppression card. Its the get out of jail free card that shields you from criticism and helps cement an identity on a group that suddenly is a single mass and not a collection of individuals with a simple thing in common. You no longer criticise the actions or behaviour of one person, you are going up against all of them.  How many times do people quote the number of Muslims when trying to make a point. 'This cartoon offends 1.5 billion people'. As though all these identity groups become the borg when anything stands before a single one of them.

Identity politics has essentially destroyed the identity of any individual, and I think a lot of that has to do with the altars of victimisation that we see all over the place.

Its like women who bring up wage inequality. Instead of a complicated issue that needs to be disected and needs social changes at pretty much every level, its simply 'we are victims of a male dominated society'. While that is partly true, its not the root cause of the issue, that has to do with decisions women make, supply and demand... etc... but bring those up and you are automatically labelled and sneered at, you are a bully, an opponent of equality. You have not paid respect to their victimisation by bringing up anything other than oppressive forces working against them.

Isn't this the natural end-state of the bourgeoisie ideals of Western liberalism?

I would be embarrassed to follow that shit. Much like religious doctrine. 

17 hours ago, Lucian04 said:

It is our duty to fight! Don't fight back doe, that shit hurts. 

On 5/9/2016 at 2:29 AM, gfxtwin said:

It might be possible to go too far with it:

That fat cow needs to work on a few other things instead of whatever she was yelling fuck you about.  

http://archive.is/qTyog

Recent grads have time and financial privileges that a current student doesn't have apparently. Maybe they should spend less time making shit up to be an activist for and more time getting gud.

:lol: Boohoo about her(?) bruised ego. Grow the fuck up and own simply not liking it instead of whining about other people having more privilege than you. It's such BS argument given that she comments on how she'll spend lots of time playing other games. Then you do have the time, you just don't like it!

Seriously. They're manufacturing problems that are non-existent for them to justify their dislike of Souls games.

Holy shit, enough with the privilege. Save it for things that actually matter.

And I wonder what section of Bloodborne they were talking about. I don't remember doing anything like spending 5 minutes per enemy 20+ times just to get to the next bonfire.

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Holy shit, enough with the privilege. Save it for things that actually matter.

And I wonder what section of Bloodborne they were talking about. I don't remember doing anything like spending 5 minutes per enemy 20+ times just to get to the next bonfire.

In DS3, most areas have up to 5 bonfires. I think one area in particular has almost 8. The amount of bonfires or distance between them certainly isn't the issue. 

The privilege narrative seems to be purely about vilifying out groups in practice. Privilege is actually relevant in probably less than 5% of the term's actual usage these days imo. 

I understand her point to an extent, Dark Souls just objectively requires more of a timesink to become adept at the mechanics and progress at a reasonable clip. So you either have to schedule your game time in between not only your studies, but extra curricular activiities, other media, and socializing....a formidable challenge in an activity that im sure a lot of people spend using it to unwind from those anxieties this game can stress you the fuck out; a lot more than most other third person action RPG's. But just accept that it's hard and will therefore require more time and part of the satisfaction of the game is spending all that time and finally getting through a difficult area of the game, or beating an insane boss makes those high points sooooo much higher than beating a boss in any other game remotely similar. 

2 hours ago, Lucian04 said:

In DS3, most areas have up to 5 bonfires. I think one area in particular has almost 8. The amount of bonfires or distance between them certainly isn't the issue. 

Yeah some bonfires seem to be choke points leading to other areas and those can be tough to get through because it's just a narrow path of a bunch of monsters in your way before the area opens up. That bonfire near the two unkindled knights literally was less than a 100 hundred meters from the next bonfire. You just walked down the path leading to a cliff, run a few hundred feet past the tree spike undead guys and you're there. 

Wow. So she's jealous that other people might have time to play a game that she doesn't, and that makes them priveledged and objectively bad. As simple as her article is, I can't wrap my head around it. It just defies logic. 

A lot of Boohoo, this game wasn't made for me. How dare you be well off and have time to play a game that frustrates me. 

16 hours ago, Snaynay1 said:

That fat cow needs to work on a few other things instead of whatever she was yelling fuck you about.  

Is that a she?

Edit: Just watched the vid, I guess it is a she. 

On 5/9/2016 at 6:29 AM, gfxtwin said:

It might be possible to go too far with it:

Man, shit like this makes me sad for humanity. 

I don't really have that much free time for games, I rather make time by getting up early to get shit done so I can game.  I would like to know what the busy schedule of a liberal arts student is though.

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

I don't really have that much free time for games, I rather make time by getting up early to get shit done so I can game.  I would like to know what the busy schedule of a liberal arts student is though.

Activism so hard you fail at liberal arts studies.  

http://reason.com/blog/2016/02/21/liberal-activism-is-giving-students-pani

6 minutes ago, Lucian04 said:

Activism so hard you fail at liberal arts studies.  

http://reason.com/blog/2016/02/21/liberal-activism-is-giving-students-pani

Brown University's inattentiveness to students' demands for greater diversity is slowly killing them, according to The Brown Daily Herald: 

:isee:

I think the real life issues the article is talking about are valid... it's increasingly weird that colonizing nations feel entitled to the spoils taken from the places they conquered hundreds of years ago.

That said, it's hard to take anything that happens in Uncharted seriously. The plot isn't really worth thinking about, it's hard to imagine taking in any of the things that Drake does at anything other than a superficial level. Besides, if we were going to look at Uncharted with any kind of critical eye towards what the characters do, we should probably start with the notion that across 4 games, Nate has killed thousands of men en route to his plunder.

I'm sure there's a compelling article on this topic that could be written, but I don't think this is it.

People who bitch about cultural appropriation are idiots. Oh noes, someones wearing a headdress! OMG, He's wearing dreadlocks! Fuck off, people are free to wear and look any way they want. The only problem with cultural appropriation are the idiots who bitch about it. 

Like the university students who were 'offended' because the cafeteria cooked some food (I don't remember which), if I was the dean of that school, I would have told them to grow the fuck up, publicly.