• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littleronin

The Recent Pickup Thread

48 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2017 at 6:28 PM, Slug said:

Pics! Details! Must!

2BCLIIE.jpg

Here's a few he painted for me. He has a bunch more done but I haven't seen them yet. 

The hardwood table they are on is at least 40 years old, and has seen countless hours of pen and paper and tabletop miniature gaming over the past 27 years or so. When my parents replaced it, they gave it to us for gaming (it's 10'x4.5'), and i've kept it ever since. Thinking of refinishing it. After all this time, it deserves it. 

Wait for two Contemptor Dreadnought (world eaters and Custodes) and the latest Forgeworld Horus Heresy book for my birthday. Waiting for it to ship. Unfortunately the Custode dread is OOS.

Picked up the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it's been described as a lighter version of Eldritch Horror.

Nabbed Bill & Ted's Excellent Board Game and Council of Verona after catching Logan today.

Got my forgeworld order in. Gonna start working on the Custode contemptor. Need to soak it first since it's a resin kit so excited.

Backed Rising Sun on Kickstarter. I love Eric Lang's games and the miniatures look so good.

Holy shitsnacks, look what I just found at my local hobby toy shop. Tucked away on a back shelf! Complete and in good condition!a52e6c25d8b26d43f28058cf2993a311.jpg

- Slug

Nice. I still have that in my parents house. In decent shape, with miniatures I never finished painting.

Come to think of it, it's possible I haven't changed since 1991. :P

13 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Nice. I still have that in my parents house. In decent shape, with miniatures I never finished painting.

Come to think of it, it's possible I haven't changed since 1991. :P

I'm shocked I found it on a shop shelf, complete for $30.  Good condition, complete copies of this game go for stupid prices.  It's one of those chase games that people get nostalgic for so collectors pay out the nose.

Time to set up a HeroQuest game night with my regular group! :sun:

14 minutes ago, Slug said:

I'm shocked I found it on a shop shelf, complete for $30.  Good condition, complete copies of this game go for stupid prices.  It's one of those chase games that people get nostalgic for so collectors pay out the nose.

Time to set up a HeroQuest game night with my regular group! :sun:

Yeah, I remember seeing the prices for expansions on eBay a while back. And then I saw this today. LAWD.

I just picked up about $300 of X-Wing stuff and Scythe and its expansion. We are losing one of our game night players for about 3 months and will be using this time to play things that she isn't a big fan of.

On 6/1/2017 at 5:07 PM, Slug said:

Holy shitsnacks, look what I just found at my local hobby toy shop. Tucked away on a back shelf! Complete and in good condition!a52e6c25d8b26d43f28058cf2993a311.jpg

- Slug

As for myself I've picked up Dark Souls, Scythe, and mini stuff over the past week.  Bought some stuff for Malifaux since I sampled that last Saturday.

I wanna pick up dark souls at gencon this summer. How is it?

- Slug

I heard it isn't bad. We just need games that happen to have more than 4 players which was a deciding factor on us not getting it. But they were demoing it at a "local" shop and it seemed a bit of fun.

Dark Souls is great.  It operates that what gear cards you have equipped is what dice you'll roll for damage, armor saves, dodges, and how much your actions will consume.  You get souls depending on the rooms you clear and you can use them to level stats to use gear or buy more gear.  Enemies always get more attacks than you.  If you are playing with 3 people, then each encounter starts with all of the enemies attacking first, then one of you going, then all of the enemies attacking again, then another of you, and so on.  Regular mobs are very predictable as they all do the same thing so you can use that to your advantage.  A large hollow soldier, for example, can do 5 damage to you, but if a player is on a space with them, they are basically rendered inept.  Boss fights are different in that they start with 5 action cards that go in order.  Once they hit half health, they heat up and add a special card that is much more vicious and randomizes their attacks every time.  Stamina and health share the same meter (stamina recovers 2 every turn) that if they max, then you all die and have to go back to the bonfire.  You only have so many sparks for the fire before the game is lost.  It's very cooperative because everyone has to survive to win.

I picked up Arkham Horror: The Card Game last week, and I love it. It's a living card game (not collectible), so you get everything you need in the box (well, along with the expansions...). It creates an ongoing campaign (2 campaigns per year) for a group (1-4) of investigators looking into the cosmic horrors befalling Arkham, MA. It's based on Lovecraft's work, which I also really love.

I've only played one scenario so far with my gf, but it was enough to get me to order a second core pack (so I can play with up to 3 other people) as well as the first expansion's main box (The Dunwich Legacy). Then there are six mini-expansions (Mythos Packs) that each have a scenario and new cards, which I will get as I play. The next cycle (expansion) begins in the fall with The Road to Carcossa.

I highly recommend the game if you like story-driven cooperative games that have consequences! You can change your deck over the campaign as you gain xp, and winning or losing each scenario changes the story a bit.