Sniper Elite 5 (26 May 2022) - Information Thread, update: first reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sniper Elite 5 to be revealed on December 10, coming to PC Game Pass on Day 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sniper Elite 5 (26 May 2022) - "Official Release Date" Trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sniper Elite 5 (26 May 2022) - "Weapons & Customization" Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sniper Elite 5 (26 May 2022) - "Weapons & Customization" and "Marksman" trailers
  • 2 weeks later...

Hands-on previews:

Sniper-Elite-5-Stealth-scaled.jpg
WEGOTTHISCOVERED.COM

Sniper Elite 5 is still in the business of letting you snipe Nazi soldiers to your heart's content, and business is-a-boomin'.

With each new entry in the series, it’s also clear that Rebellion’s approach to level design is constantly being refined and iterated on. Admittedly, I only had the opportunity to play through a single level of the campaign, but it seems the developers have put more of an emphasis on allowing players to find their own path as they work their way from one side of the stage to the other. The level I played through centered around a castle that Karl had to infiltrate, and I’m sure there are plenty of routes that I didn’t discover during my multiple attempts to sneak my way in without being caught.

This emphasis on exploration also ties into the way objectives and content are doled out. While each level typically centers around one or two main goals, fully exploring a stage usually results in finding a few optional objectives and collectibles to complete and suss out. Chances are, you won’t find every single piece of content on your first go around, so there’s plenty of incentive to replay stages to see what else is on offer.

Of course, if you’ve enjoyed the series’ methodical, slower-paced approach to gunplay, you’ll be happy to hear that it’s still business as usual in Sniper Elite 5. While it hasn’t changed much over the years, it’s still incredibly satisfying to pull off successful shots from afar, especially when you’re able to rack up kills without using the game’s aim assist. And yes, the x-ray kills are as glorious as ever, and it never gets old when you land a perfect headshot, or nutshot, if you prefer.

SE5_Screenshots_WIP_Reveal_Hotshot.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Cult hit requires closer, quicker stealth — or a fast escape route

Throughout this, players will be exploring a richly illustrated world that keeps pace with 60-frames-per-second animation, even if the dialogue cutscenes look robotic and last-gen. Sniper Elite 5 is not a purely open-world game (ask Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 how well that idea went for a military sniper game), and invisible boundaries exist, even within the playable space, in the form of walls you can’t mantle or rows of crops you can’t disappear into.

But a multipronged solution to the level, a hallmark of Sniper Elite’s design, is still evident. At its heart, the Sniper Elite series is more of a puzzle game than a shooter, whose pieces are manipulated in a third-person perspective at gunpoint. Like chess, it requires planning and patience, both of which seem inimical to the modern shooter genre. If you are willing to make that investment, the game will open up into a beautiful, tense narrative, where you own the decisions and mistakes of Karl Fairburne in a way you just don’t with any other hero in video game shooters.

Weapon customization is one of the marquee features of Sniper Elite 5, and it’s astounding how many different attachments and add-ons you can play with here. It’s almost to the degree of Battlefield 4’s customization, and that’s a compliment. In addition to weapon customization, you also level up gradually as you complete certain challenges and rack up your kill count, and your level even persists between deaths – but only if you restart the mission after dying. Each time you level up, you can place skill points into perks that unlock certain features, like being able to revive yourself after being gunned down. It’s an awfully nice way to alleviate certain challenges if you’re struggling to get through the map. Speaking of, it also sounds like there will be multiplayer features such as co-op and player invasions, kinda like in Dark Souls, though I did not get a chance to see this feature in action. That said, there’s enough openness to this map to make multiplayer seem like a natural fit at first glance, and it could be fun to keep an extra eye out for an enemy player flanking you or potentially even using your own tactics against you during a mission.

As alluded to earlier, exfiltrating proved a real challenge for us, but we managed to find a path out of the chateau, into a nearby garden. The AI, even on standard difficulty, is very adept and will sniff you out if you make an error. We ended up abandoning our largely non-lethal run in order to lob a grenade into the back of truck filled with oil barrels, and were treated to a slow-motion sequence of shrapnel flying everywhere.

So a less than perfect attempt, then, but the beauty of Sniper Elite 5 will be replaying over-and-over in order to learn the best approach possible. Rebellion’s not re-inventing the wheel here: you’ve played this kind of game from the UK team before. But when the foundations are this sold, refinement is really all that’s required: we enjoyed our brief tour of a traditional chateau, and if all of the game’s levels can hit the same highs, we sense we’ll be spending a lot of scoping out France this summer.

sniper-elite-5-screenshot-intel.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Rebellion continues to build upon the foundation laid by previous Sniper Elite releases as players become Karl Fairburne and attempt to stop the Nazis' secret plan: Operation Kraken.

Rebellion clearly has a formula when it comes to the Sniper Elite franchise, and for the most part it has worked for them. With a month left to go until the release of Sniper Elite 5, the game already felt incredibly polished and ready to put in players' hands. Part of this can be attributed to Rebellion's prior experiences with Sniper Elite, and the gradual changes they've made to the franchise that have paid off over time. Strict linear missions have slowly evolved into expansive maps with multiple solutions. Default loadouts have evolved into living classes that can be changed to suit your playstyle almost dynamically.

Unfortunately, during our hands-on time with the preview, we did not get the opportunity to try out one of the most understated features of Sniper Elite 5, the new PvP invasion mode. Not only can your friends join your game to cooperatively defeat the Nazis, but other random players will also have the option to invade your game as an Axis player charged with hunting you down. Drop in versus PvP is a nice shake-up to the franchise that could have the potential to make the biggest change to how players approach the Sniper Elite campaign.

Even with these changes, slipping into Karl Fairburne's story feels like putting on your favorite pair of well-worn shoes. It's comfortable, and familiar. If you're not already a fan of Sniper Elite's mechanics, then you're not likely to reconsider your opinion on a third-person tactical strategy shooters with this one. Those who are already fans, though, will find that Sniper Elite 5 brings back all the best parts of a solid stealthy shooter, with a few big improvements for good measure.

Sniper Elite 5 sets its sights on the Hitman franchise (Eurogamer)

Worryingly there were quite a few bugs present in my playthrough which, considering the looming release date, suggests that Sniper Elite 5 might not be the most polished game on the market when it launches. This won’t come as a huge surprise to fans of the series as Sniper Elite has always had a bit of jank to it, but there were a lot of oddities with regards to enemy AI which proved to be very jarring. Also, as you’ll see in my video above, aiming with the pistol at nearby objects caused the crosshair to get confused and any bullets I fired at close range landed way off target.

While the core gameplay doesn’t feel like that much of an evolution from previous entries in the series, Sniper Elite 5 still looks like it’ll be bigger and better than the games that came before it. The tantalising tease of levels that offer up even more freedom than before means that people who want to go into this as a hardcore sniper will have just as much fun and emergent opportunites as someone like me who just wants to chaos their way through, chalking up as many nut shots as possible.

SniperElite-Hero500art.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

We go hands on with Sniper Elite 5, as Karl Fairburne goes behind enemy lines in France. What's new in Rebellion's WW2 stealth action shooter?

There’s also plenty of weapons that you can pick up and find in the level, grabbing a different rifle in a sniper nest, or grabbing them off enemy soldiers. These now have limited ammo, so when you run out, you’re back to your regular guns. You can also pop into an ironsights aiming mode for guns without scopes on them, giving you a quick first person shooter view for pistols that could help you line up the perfect shot. Oh, and there’s a Gears of War-style active reload to help get you back to firing your gun quicker.

I’m looking forward to playing more of Sniper Elite 5. I’ve always had a soft spot for the series and it’s slightly campy WW2 action, and it’s been great to see how each game in the series has evolved and grown. This entry seemingly leans toward making many smaller, more iterative changes to the formula, refining the much broader changes that came in Sniper Elite 4.

Sniper-Elite-5-Preview-Header.jpg
HARDCOREGAMER.COM

It’s always beneficial to refresh one’s memory of the previous entrant upon checking out a series’ latest installment. Outside of the V2 remaster -- one that

So then, this is a game direction that’s not down to some blatant expanding of scale or increased level size for size’s sake. Rather, through a carefully-orchestrated series of quietly-deceptive and less-bombastic traits. Traits that are if not immediate in their materialistic rewards, are still rewarding on the basis of figuring it all out. It’s clear that the series’ latest is leaning on that preparation and pacing is key if one is to seriously take the role of deadly marksman from a distance. But these very emergent moments — complimented by what feels like this more persistent vulnerability on top — are shaping up to be the means by which Sniper Elite 5 remarkably becomes the series’ new pinnacle. Five years on from achieving a similar claim with the previous title, it’s through this combination of compelling level design and reframing of the core gameplay loop where Rebellion look to have pulled it off yet again. Sniper Elite 5 potentially standing as the series’ most refined and rewarding outing yet.

Rebellion has improved Sniper Elite in many subtle ways. Graphically, it’s a cut above its predecessors, too, with a lot of time and care paid to period details, making the fictional storyline believable. Throughout the missions we play, we overhear conversations between enemies, for example, which provide helpful information and a wealth of lore that grounds you in the history of the time.

WW2 Europe has always exerted a fascination for a lot of gamers, and Sniper Elite 5’s depiction of the momentous events of France in 1944 is uncannily plausible. Factor in classic Sniper Elite third and first-person action gameplay, and you have the recipe for a game that looks set to delight the series’ fans. It’s due for a May 26 release on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S, and we’ll bring you more details as they emerge in the lead-up.

wnMNjpktGvqh9ppbvcuB8f-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Hands-on with Karl Fairburne's latest head-popping outing in Sniper Elite 5

Elsewhere in Sniper Elite 5, and it's more of what we've come to expect from the series, only bigger and bolder. Its real-world-inspired in-game locations are gorgeous – owed to the developer's use of photogrammetry – and are littered with more infiltration and extraction points than ever before. With more slopes, zip-lines, the aforementioned vines, and other climbable objects, there's more variety to how you go about your business than ever before; all of which can be undertaken in solo and co-op mode. To the latter end, multiplayer is brimming with customisation options applied to its 16-player battles, but teams of three can also band together and take on waves of enemies in Survival mode. As Karl, players can call on other player-controlled snipers to help them out in specific situations, akin to summoning in the likes of Dark Souls and Elden Ring. And, perhaps the most intriguing feature of Sniper Elite 5's multiplayer makeup, players can invade another player's Campaign, again in something that sounds like invasion modes in other games. 

If I'm wont to scream at the top of my lungs at AI-controlled enemies when making my advance, I shudder to think how animated I might get when facing off against an actual human being. I guess we'll all find out on May 26, 2022, when Sniper Elite 5 lands on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4 and Xbox One. 

se5_marksman_1.jpg
WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

Rebellion learned the right lessons from games like Hitman 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 when designing Sniper Elite 5.

Since 2005, Rebellion Development’s Sniper Elite series has perfected sniping gameplay with detailed bullet physics and a joyously gory killcam. While these games lend themselves to some intense sniping shootouts, they could often feel too linear and restrictive for a game about sneaking behind enemy lines and taking out Nazis as you see fit.

Sniper Elite 4 took the first step in making levels more expansive and emphasizing player freedom. Now, Sniper Elite 5 is taking those ideas one step further as a World War II sandbox that finds itself somewhere between Hitman 3 and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain in its structure.

I got to play Sniper Elite 5’s second level and see the more open-ended level design and deeper weapon customization in action. Although it doesn’t reinvent the series’ formula, the level I played showed that Sniper Elite 5 has refined this experience into the intense sniping immersive sim I always wanted Sniper Elite to be.

3969528-preview_sniperelite_gs_v3.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Sniper Elite 5 expands gun customization, adds puzzles, and new non-lethal ways to stop Nazis. We spent two hours on the expansive Occupied Residence map and here’s what you should know.

The level that we played felt very Hitman-inspired, with tons of ways to take down enemies, including environmental hazards, booby traps, mines, exploding objects, non-lethal takedowns, and of course, long-range shooting. Developers at Rebellion want to accommodate a wide variety of playstyles which they broke into stealth, control, power, and speed. Around that idea, the map has tons of different terrain and routes, from open farm fields to underground bunkers. There is a lot of vertical space with vines to climb and ziplines. The map also has a number of secrets and unlockable starting points to make it more replayable. Some of these include finding intelligence on targets, finding objects on one side of the map to unlock items on the other, and the ability to blow open doors or go find the right enemy with the key to do it silently.

WWW.GAMEWATCHER.COM

Sniper Elite 5 Hands On Preview: Looks Like a Hit, Man

There are ways I could have made that exfiltration easier. At the start of the mission, points of interest are marked ahead of the objective. These are smaller pockets of resistance that can be weeded out to create a clearer path out at the end of the mission. They also shake things up nicely upon replay, as you can approach the objective in a variety of ways. One of the options I discovered came from a unit stationed in an abandoned stable. A sniper has perched in the top half of the building’s spire, keeping a beady eye on the estate further up the hill. Not only does this save me from a potentially deadly exfiltration, it offers a great vantage point to hit my target from without getting too close. If I sabotage a nearby engine beforehand, I can even cover the sound of my gunfire. I still have to get the documents, but I know where to go now, and don’t have to take a detour to off the officer.

I like that Sniper Elite 5 appears to have a better balance of challenge and freedom to experiment. Failure seems to be welcomed because Rebellion is eager for you to consider alternative plans if what you think should work doesn’t do it. The best part of that is you get to pop more Nazi noggins and nuts, and as we know, you can’t have too much of a good thing.

sniper-elite-5-preview.jpg
WWW.THELOADOUT.COM

Sniper Elite 5 may be coming to Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, as well as PlayStation and PC, but should you play it? Here's our preview of the new shooter

One thing that does bode well for the future of the series, though, is the addition of Invasion Mode – although, I didn’t get to check this out during my preview. Invasion Mode, as the name suggests, will allow players to join campaign missions as an Axis sniper to, and I quote the Sniper Elite 5 website, “engage in a deadly game of cat and mouse”. With traditional PvP multiplayer modes returning alongside drop-in co-op campaigns and a four-player survival mode, it’s safe to say that there’s going to be enough to do in Sniper Elite 5.

However, I feel like post-launch content and progression is going to play a huge part in whether it has the legs to last as a multiplayer game. I did have a brief encounter with Sniper Elite 5’s levelling system during my preview and, while it was an improvement on Sniper Elite 4’s offering, it was a little disappointing. I didn’t notice much of a difference between starting out and having skills unlocked while playing. Of course, these could be more impactful in a multiplayer scenario – but there’s no telling just yet.

With all that being said, though, I did have fun playing Sniper Elite 5. It’s a decent game with solid mechanics that it does very well after years of honing them. However, I expected a lot more from it given the prospect of new-gen console power and the amount of development time following the previous game. I feel like Sniper Elite 5 should have pushed for more innovation, rather than play it safe.

scf29v.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Nazis are made to be murdered.

You could argue that there’s some humanity behind non-lethal takedowns, and how many of these soldiers are little more than pawns in a larger political system. I’d believe that if Sniper Elite 5 made any attempt (at least so far) to flesh out its story and characters beyond ‘Nazis are super-duper bad and we need to stop them’ which has underpinned almost every game in the series since its inception. This isn’t a nuanced WW2 drama on HBO, it’s a goofy shooter where entire body parts can be blown to pieces with a well-placed bullet. I murdered 30+ Nazis as their behaviour glitched out and all of them sprinted out a single staircase into a barrage of gunfire. This game is deliberately silly, and I’m going to treat it like that whether the developer intended such a thing or not.

Completionists can also find further value in running through levels without ever being caught or hurting a soul, earning extra points for no bloodshed. That’s something I can see the value in, but for the average player who will be picking up Sniper Elite 5 for a good time, I can’t recommend anything other than putting on a silencer and blasting your opponents to pieces like the fascist scum they are. Embrace the slapstick slow-motion murder porn and have some fun with it all, otherwise Sniper Elite 5 won’t be nearly as fun.

se55.jpg
CHECKPOINTMAGAZINE.COM

The fifth instalment of Rebellion's sniper-cum-action Nazi-hinting game takes place in France in 1944. We managed to get a hands-on preview.

Sniper Elite 5, then, isn’t some radical reworking of the franchise: it very much provides precisely the sort of gameplay – sniping, takedowns, third-person shooting and a modicum of puzzle-solving – that fans would expect.

Yet, primarily through engine improvements, and an added layer of attention to detail, it feels better than its predecessors in pretty much every department. That familiar gameplay has been honed to a fine degree, and not only does it look markedly better than its predecessors, it also feels startlingly authentic and believable, despite the entirely fictional storyline.

After a single-mission preview play-through, it’s impossible to say how well it will hang together as a game and how meaty the single-player campaign will be. But it is already possible to point out that it has a vast amount of replayability, and Rebellion has a great track record of keeping people involved in its games for long periods, via excellent DLC and compelling multiplay.

The existing fan-base will lap up Sniper Elite 5, and those new to the franchise should find that it offers a surprisingly sophisticated and rigorous mix of sniping and third-person action gameplay, within a meticulously researched and modelled backdrop of the Nazis’ last throes of French occupation. Like any Sniper Elite game, it isn’t rocket science, nor is it hugely original or innovative. But it’s enormously good fun to play, and that’s what matters.

Throughout this, gamers might be exploring a richly illustrated world that retains tempo with 60 frames per second animation, even when the dialogue cutscenes look robotic and last-gen. Sniper Elite 5 will not be a purely open-world game (ask Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 how effectively that concept went for a army sniper game), and invisible boundaries exist, even inside the playable area, in the type of partitions you’ll be able to’t mantle or rows of crops you’ll be able to’t disappear into.

But a multi-pronged answer to the stage, an indicator of Sniper Elite’s design, continues to be evident. At its coronary heart, the Sniper Elite collection is extra of a puzzle game than a shooter, whose items are manipulated in a third-person perspective at gunpoint. Like chess, it requires planning and endurance, each of which appear inimical to the trendy shooter style. If you’re keen to make that funding, the game will open up into a ravishing, tense narrative, the place you personal the selections and errors of Karl Fairburne in a manner you simply don’t with some other hero in video game shooters.

1651083176_Sniper-Elite-5-Hands-on-Previ
CONSOLESANDGAMES.NET

Sniper Elite 5 Release Date Revealed to be May 26, 2022 Sniper Elite 5 to Feature Optional Soulslike PvP Invasion Mode

The mission level we checked out involved infiltrating Château de Berengar (based on the real-life Château de Sassenage), which looked suitably French. Admittedly though, the gameplay experience didn’t feel that much of an improvement over previous Sniper Elite games when it comes to animations and visual polish, which felt quite rough.

Of course, it was not a final build, but with only a month left before the launch of Sniper Elite 5, it is hard to imagine the game would get a big overhaul. So far, this looks like it may satisfy long-time series fans, but we reckon it’ll be tough to draw in many new users.

sniper-elite-5.jpg
WWW.COMINGSOON.NET

ComingSoon's Sniper Elite 5 hands-on preview explains the promise of this stealthy fifth entry, but also why it might be a little off its mark.

The sandbox itself still needs to be fully dissected, but there were some oddities that held it back. Enemy A.I. varies from pretty smart to painfully stupid or cheap. For example, throwing a body in an empty basement caused a cavalcade of guards to storm in from the top floors, which is as frustrating as it is unrealistic. Some parts of the levels have a lot of open space that is unengaging to crawl through and an easy way to get spotted by its hyperaware enemies. Weird hit detection, inopportune autosaves in the middle of firefights, fussy button prompts, and more oddities all contribute to an unquantifiable but ever-present layer of cruft that’s hard to shake.

Rebellion’s games are often flimsy like that, so it’s not surprising to see Sniper Elite 5 suffer from similar issues, even if it does seem like one of the studio’s better games. Its attempts to snipe Snake out of the throne of the open-world stealth genre are hard to ignore, as it is obviously borrowing from the last Metal Gear Solid. But there are worse games to pull from and Sniper Elite 5 seems to have some of its own flair, even if it is sometimes obfuscated by a fog of jank. It just remains to be seen if that fog is thick enough to throw off the shot of this long-running sniper series.

SE5_Screenshots_WIP_Reveal_Hotshot.jpg?w
VENTUREBEAT.COM

We spent some time with Sniper Elite 5 by Rebellion Games. In the new game you play as a sniper in Nazi-occupied France.

Did I mention that there’s DLC that lets you shoot Hitler? I will never get tired of shooting Hitler. Ever. This, and many others, are the reason, Sniper Elite 5 is currently one of my most anticipated releases of the summer. Creeping around France spreading liberty, one set of testicles at a time (or in Hitler’s case, testicle), sounds like a party to me.

sniper-elite-5-logo-HD-1480x833.jpg?#
WWW.ARABDOWN.ORG

When British game developer Rebellion unveiled Sniper Elite 5 at The Game Awards 2021, it had been over four and half years since the release of the previous installment, which is the longest fans had to wait since the Sniper Elite V2 remake. The new game is now close to its launch date, though, and […] The post Sniper Elite 5 Hands-on Preview – A Bit Too Old School by Alessio Palumbo appeared first on Wccftech.

The mission level we checked out involved infiltrating Château de Berengar (based on the real-life Château de Sassenage), which looked suitably French. Admittedly though, the gameplay experience didn't feel that much of an improvement over previous Sniper Elite games when it comes to animations and visual polish, which felt quite rough.

Of course, it was not a final build, but with only a month left before the launch of Sniper Elite 5, it is hard to imagine the game would get a big overhaul. So far, this looks like it may satisfy long-time series fans, but we reckon it'll be tough to draw in many new users.

sniper-elite-5-preview-wide.jpg
COGCONNECTED.COM

The latest entry in a long-running franchise of shooters set in World War 2, Sniper Elite 5 uncovers Hilter's secret plan to invade America.

I was playing the demo via Parsec, so when it comes to performance and graphics, I’ll give Sniper Elite 5 the benefit of the doubt until I play a build myself. Graphically, the game looks very good if not totally amazing. There’s a bit of a dip into the uncanny valley with characters, but the level design is excellent, affording a wide range of approaches to an objective. The voice acting, environmental audio, and weapon sounds were effective, too.

Although it doesn’t seem to represent a ground-breaking evolution, Sniper Elite 5 takes what has been impressive and fun about the franchise and improves it in lots of meaningful ways. The demo was an enticing preview of what looks to be another solid and entertaining chapter to the story and entry to the series.

All in all, we had a great time playing Sniper Elite 5 and in our opinion, we're all in for a big Game Pass-flavoured treat next month. Don't be put off by the numbered entry either, if you're a newcomer. Sure, having played previous games gives you the skills to succeed more quickly in 5 — along with some additional backstory of course — but you can easily hop in here and have a great time causing absolute havoc across rural France. Sniper Elite 5 doesn't gatekeep any of its ball-breaking action for newcomers, and we reckon this one will be well worth a go for players both new and old.

b0db22b8-sniper-elite-5-preview.jpg
WWW.GAMEBYTE.COM

Sniper Elite 5 isn't going to blow the formula out of the water, but it does a lot to make it more intriguing than ever before.

After playing Sniper Elite 5, I’m shocked at how much the series seems to have learned from its forebears. Hitman energy is flowing through this game’s veins – even the castle level design reminded me instantly of the Paris level from IO Interactive’s recent endeavours. 

This is not a bad thing in the slightest. The Hitman games cater to such a wide range of audiences that it’s hard to see why Sniper Elite 5 wouldn’t do the same. If you’re someone who just wants to enjoy a decent bit of sniping, this game has you covered. Fancy scouring every level to experience every permutation of it? That’s also possible. I can imagine that speedrunners would also have an absolute field day here.

Sniper Elite 5 doesn’t seem like it’s going to blow the formula out of the water, but it certainly goes a long way to make the series concept more intriguing than it ever was before.

Sniper-Elite-5-1-2000x1270-1.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

A surprising amount of player freedom - and plenty of dead Nazis.

While gunplay isn’t directly improved on from prior games (it’s still solid), there are some neat touches in Sniper Elite 5 that make combat more personal. In-game weapon benches mean you can customise your weapons to far greater effect, and a wide variety of your gun’s parts can be tinkered with. Though the preview’s single level didn’t offer a huge amount of room to play around with weapons, a nose through the bench’s offerings suggests a wide scope of modifications available for each gun. The system is very rewarding to dabble in – having that extra layer of customisation and using it to craft a gun that’s tailor-made for your preferred playstyle feels fantastic, and again really feeds into Sniper Elite 5‘s focus on player agency.

Eventually, the preview’s slow, stealthy crawl ends as a violent sprint. After stealing intel for the resistance and learning about a Nazi plot to invade America, Fairburne’s cover is blown and alarm bells start blaring. The last five minutes are a gory rush: there’s no more careful sharpshooting, and during the rush to escape from the area, a dead soldier’s submachine gun is seized up to hose down some aggressive pursuers. When Sniper Elite throws you into the deep end naturally – without dodgy AI or flaky invisible walls to blame – it’s a genuine adrenaline rush.

SE5_Render_CoverArt_FINAL-d5c6_165105673
METRO.CO.UK

Rebellion’s WW2 era sniping simulator heads to France in 1944, and it's more realistic, versatile, and gory than ever.

Those who haven’t played a Sniper Elite game before can expect absorbing, beautifully fettled, and thoroughly modern third person shooting and action. All of which is set within a painstakingly rigorous and believable environment, which brings the nefarious exploits of the Nazis in 1944 France to believable life. Sniper Elite 5 straddles the line between escapism and historical accuracy with aplomb, and clearly offers a great amount of replay value.

From a single mission preview, it’s impossible to assess how it will hang together as a game but with the ability to pay it co-operatively with a friend, which, if Sniper Elite 4 is anything to go by, should be pretty compelling, it should result in a game which will capture your attention for a significant amount of time. It may not possess the glamour of other triple-A titles but if you try it yourself you’ll find it a focused, surprisingly plausible, and above all very entertaining actioner.

Sniper Elite 5 Preview: Small Improvements to a Solid Gameplay Formula

Another new feature of Sniper Elite 5 this time around comes with the customization system that is available for your weapons. Each gun has a number of customizable features similar to what you would see in something like Call of Duty. Even though I wasn't able to toy around with this system a lot, it was clear that there's quite a bit of depth to how you can mix and match the options given to you. The only question is how impactful it will actually be.

Sniper Elite is a pretty well-known quantity at this point and Sniper Elite 5 doesn't feel like it's going to drastically shake up the formula of the series one way or another. Although there are new features here, my time with the game so far makes it feel like these are more quality-of-life improvements rather than additions that will alter the core of the game. Despite this, Sniper Elite 5 still has an established audience by now, and if you're one of those fans, this game should be to your satisfaction.

Sniper-Elite-5-Preview-Dialing-In-The-Sc
SCREENRANT.COM

Sniper Elite 5 further refines the franchise.

Rebellion also put an emphasis on supporting different play styles. During the hands-on preview, a stealth-run was the goal and thanks to improved environmental traversal mechanics, it was easy to find a good vantage point and plan the best way to break into the fortress. Despite every effort to remain hidden, a mistake led to the entire fortress being alerted and what was once a stealth-shooter immediately became an action-shooter. This was one of Sniper Elite 5's most immersive moments and served as a reminder that, no matter how prepared one may be, mistakes will push the player to adapt and use every tool they have at their disposal to survive.

This is only scratching the surface of what players can expect. There is also an invasion system in place that allows other players to invade another game as an Axis sniper, turning it into a Deathloop-like game of cat and mouse - however this feature was unavailable during the preview. With everything that's packed into the experience thus far, Sniper Elite 5 looks to be another fantastic entry and one that players should look forward to.

Sniper Elite 5 Preview: World War II Hitman

There's still a ton I haven't yet tried out in Sniper Elite 5, such as multiplayer, co-op, and Axis invasions. I haven't seen other levels, either. On top of that, there are many other systems yet to talk about not covered in this preview, such as unique in-mission weapons, skill trees, and traversal.

I will say traversal is currently a sticking point for me, alongside difficulty balancing and a ho-hum photo mode. You can climb up roofs and vines just fine but can't vault simple fences, it seems; the difficulty spike between easy and medium is far too drastic; and the photo mode is barebones, lacking some of the most basic tools available in other games, making it feel tacked on to simply check a "features" box. 

sniper-elite-5-glhf-1.jpg?w=640
FTW.USATODAY.COM

Sniper Elite 5 is coming soon, and we’ve played the second level of the game. It’s not a revolution, but it is good fun.

It’s just a shame there aren’t more options. Metal Gear Solid V this ain’t. Perhaps that’s the result of being spoiled by years of good stealth games, but when struggling to find a way through a highly guarded area, I couldn’t help but wonder why temporarily making use of a uniform from one of the incapacitated guards wasn’t an option. Still, being able to scale walls and enter windows like an Assassin’s Creed trainee is a nice feature that means the most obvious path isn’t always the one you need to take. With smart play, every area has a route you can use to stay hidden.

Ultimately we’re left with a game that doesn’t impress, but doesn’t disappoint either. If you’ve played a recent Sniper Elite game, you know what to expect. Good visuals, a solid variety of weapons – none of which feel quite as nice as the titular rifle – and a generally pleasant stealth experience. Sniper Elite 5 is very similar to what fans have played before, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Especially when you can slow-mo snipe a Nazi’s testicles with x-ray vision.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sniper Elite 5 (26 May 2022) - Information Thread, update: new hands-on previews posted
  • 2 weeks later...
TxnJtQY6fgCfWYac7pq6L3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Sniper Elite 5's PS5 DualSense support sounds great - it's invasions sound brilliantly awful

I've not stopped thinking about the poor bastard I murdered in cold blood during my Sniper Elite 5 hands-on preview. His wide eyes. His panic. Him sprinting down a long, narrow hallway inside the French countryside mansion I'd broken into; and the stomach-turning crunch of the 30-06 Springfield Cartridge bullet I sent through the back of his skull. To be fair, he was a Nazi – one who was running to alert his pals to my presence – so there was no love lost in the exchange. Still, of all the kills I made during my recent time with Rebellion's latest tactical shooter, this is the one that stands out in my mind most, simply because it felt real.

Enemies are as intelligent as they've ever been in Sniper Elite 5, you see, which is something the dev team has strived for with its first proper strides into the latest console cycle. "The key thing for any Sniper Elite game is to plan before you execute and that is truer than ever now. We are very proud of our AI and they are even more reactive in Sniper Elite 5," explains Rebellion head of design, Jonathan Woodward. "They will alert fellow enemy soldiers to your presence if they spot you and also call for reinforcements. Plus they have access to spotlights and all more heavy weaponry, so you need to think before you act."

Been playing Sniper Elite 4 co-op off and on over the past few weeks (one mission at a time) and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the map design. I've played the Zombie Army series (same developer) and expected large, linear paths. The maps so far in SE4 are excellent, with a bunch of different approaches and pathways. I hope they continue that trend with SE5.

5 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Been playing Sniper Elite 4 co-op off and on over the past few weeks (one mission at a time) and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the map design. I've played the Zombie Army series (same developer) and expected large, linear paths. The maps so far in SE4 are excellent, with a bunch of different approaches and pathways. I hope they continue that trend with SE5.

Yeah, the wide openess of the levels in SE4 really blew open the whole way the game was played up until then. Considering this next title is only going to lean into that even more is one of the main things I keep finding myself fantasize about whenever I am thinking of this game (which is daily, and constantly!)

The co-op on 4 was a hell of a lot of fun & it looks to be going into the next one.

I'm still stunned they got rid of trip mines though, those were my bread & butter for watching my flanks and/or setting up all manner of juicy ambushes!

Game Information

Game Title: Sniper Elite 5

Platforms:

• PC (May 26, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (May 26, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (May 26, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (May 26, 2022)
  • Xbox One (May 26, 2022)

Developer: Rebellion

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameGrin - 10 / 10

With so much to do, collect, and kill, I don't know how I'll be putting down Sniper Elite 5 any time soon.

Capsule Computers - 9 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 does not disappoint. The newest entry in the series introduces customizable weapons, new gadgets, ammo types, and an improved kill cam.

GameByte - 9 / 10

Putting it under the scope, Rebellion Developments has delivered a coherent, open-ended stealth experience filled with plenty of freedom. This is peak Sniper Elite, with so much about the game inspiring tactical, sneaky gameplay that makes you feel like a real wartime marksman.

GamesBeat - 4.5 / 5

Sniper Elite 5 is exactly what I want from the series: new maps, new Nazis, and new ways to kill them. The only real let down is that the graphics have not evolved evolved from the last couple of iterations. The levels look great and are fun to explore, they just don’t have a next generation feel.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

Sniper Elite 5 is the best it's ever been with a new game mode that'll blow your mind.

Multiplayer First - 9 / 10

You would think that being on the fifth mainline title (with four Dead Army spinoffs) that the series would have grown tiring, yet here I am, still impressed and still having fun. It’s core remain unchanged, sure, but the saying of, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” holds very true here, and what Rebellion delivers on, not only keeps the fundamentals of what made the franchise so great, but also keeps it in a way where they’re able to expand on it without losing its identity. While the semi-open world does have some faults, it was an appropriate step for the series to take, one that I cannot wait to see unfold further into the future.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is the series at its strongest to date. It's not a radical paradigm shift by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't need to be. Instead, it builds on what Sniper Elite 4 did so well by expanding on the scale of maps, stuffs them full of things to do, and polishes its already-compelling combat. If you're looking for a tactical, rewarding World War II-era shooter, Sniper Elite 5 comes highly recommended.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is a game that knows exactly what it is, and delivers on all fronts. The x-ray kills are as good as ever, and improvements to stealth and level design make the campaign enjoyable between the moments where you’re shooting through a guy’s eyeball. The Axis Invasion mode adds an entirely new dynamic to multiplayer, which still features the standard modes for a more traditional experience. It’s hard to imagine fans of the series not being satisfied with what’s there in Sniper Elite 5.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

In many ways Sniper Elite 5 is Sniper Elite 4 with a few new features and a fresh coat of paint, and I'm happy that this is the case. Except for the kill cam novelty having entirely worn off at this point, most of the gameplay still feels fresh. Sneaking around and lining up shots are equally rewarding, and the large, open levels give you plenty of freedom to tackle each objective in the way that you want. Sniper Elite 5 provides players with the necessary tools to feel like an elite sniper who's using superior tactics and stealth to take down a bunch of Nazis, and the game has certainly hit the bull's-eye.

Gamerheadquarters - 8.6 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is an excellent step forward for the franchise bringing vast environments that are filled with unique challenges to tackle.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.6 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 marks the new entry point for tactical shooters, and although it's not a big revolution for this kind of games, thanks to a refined and engaging stealth and sniping approach, as well as the interaction with many elements of the scenario, it offers a fun gameplay in which there isn't a single way to complete missions that require multiple objectives to be fullfilled, all while offering a robust challenge. It's a pity that the game is not especially daring, but it's a fun single player and the online should grant it a lenghty lifespan.

But Why Tho? - 8.5 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 does what the series does best: letting you kill Nazis with unrelenting fury. You can be as strategic or guns-blazing as you’d like, and the number of options will have players coming back for more quite often.

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Even five entries in, Sniper Elite 5 manages to deliver on the core gameplay sniping loop while managing to provide us with a handful of new features to keep things fresh. There are a few bugs to hammer out, and some movement systems are underbaked, but fans and newcomers alike will find a lot to like here.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is the best the series has been, with layered combat, huge maps, and tons of options to get that all-important kill.

Niche Gamer - 8.5 / 10

So if you like immersive sniper combat and the satisfaction of landing those sneaky headshots, then Sniper Elite 5 is a game for you. The game is nothing but wall to wall tactical and precise sniping, bombing, and assassination. There’s some running and gunning, but if you play the way the game is designed, you won’t be doing much of that.

Stevivor - 8.5 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is stupid fun and a joy to play. Rebellion hasn’t made any giant leaps in terms of new functionality, but it doesn’t need to. Instead, the studio continues to refine and polish an experience that sets itself apart from other shooters.

Lords Of Gaming - 8.4 / 10

If you are new to the Sniper Elite franchise, or a veteran of this long-running series. Then I recommend checking the title out at some point this summer. While the story and overall polish are a little rough around the edges, the gameplay loop is rewarding and has a ton of variety. Bloody x-ray-soaked action combined with a great drop-in drop-out co-op experience, plus a unique twist on the PVP experience. Sniper Elite 5 feels like it has expanded the series in a new and bold direction.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 83 / 100

‎The setting in France, the new game modes, and the improvements in the skills of Fairburne, make Sniper Elite 5 the best in the saga. A classic infiltration game, which shines especially for the distant shots and the use of the "Killcam".‎

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is the natural evolution of Rebellion's third-person shooter, renewed with more refined gameplay mechanics and noteworthy freedom of action. The development team has managed to make another small qualitative leap, although there is still some work to be done (especially in the technical field) to achieve excellence.

EGM - 4 / 5

Sniper Elite 5 is the best game in the series so far. Its intricately designed levels, deep weapon customization system, and satisfying gameplay offer hours upon hours of entertaining ways to kill Nazis. After five games, the game's story and character development still feel too underdeveloped, making every mission blend together in an unending series of contextless kill cams and gravelly voiced one-liners, but if you don't care about any of that then you will still find a lot to enjoy.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

While Sniper Elite 5‘s campaign feels a little familiar, and largely more focused on sneaking than sniping, we can’t help but be impressed by the overall package. With co-op, competitive multiplayer modes and a new invasion mechanic, Sniper Elite 5 has something for everybody. And a range of difficulty settings make it suitable for all skill levels. So, unless you go into it expecting to snipe everything that moves, chances are you won’t be disappointed.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

While a few issues remain that hamper the experience, it's a no-brainer to proclaim Sniper Elite 5 has taken everything that made 4 as great as it was and improved it.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

More highly addictive Nazi cranium popping, that improves almost every aspect of the experience – especially in terms of the open world and expanded weapon options.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

Rebellion really put a lot into Sniper Elite 5, and it shows due to the well-thought out modes and mechanics. With over twenty hours of singleplayer to do here, and that’s only scratching the surface until you replay them for better scores or tackle the objectives differently. The robust campaign features an unraveling list of objectives that are engaging and rewarding. Invasion mode is a highlight, and a perfect fit for the series for some true cat and mouse action. Sure, there’s a few bugs, and some parts of this that may not wow or excite everyone, but it really offers an enthralling experience that is unrivaled. Sniper Elite 5 is one of the best stealth action games to exist, and is a must-play.

The Independent - 8 / 10

With its large and well executed environments, Sniper Elite 5 is a strong follow up to 2017’s previous entry in the series, with a healthy balance of open-ended approaches and a clear direction. Maps are large enough to revisit and rediscover new areas  as well as acting as an endless playground to perform trick shots and discover its secrets.

WellPlayed - 8 / 10

Rebellion treads little new ground, however Sniper Elite 5 remains the chief among WW2 stealth action games.

XboxEra - 8 / 10

There is added depth and complexity to this title that elevates the experience above the solid game that went before it.  Too many series continuations just recycle the same old tropes but in this instance, I can gladly state that this is not the case at all.  If you are a fan of Sniper Elite 4 you will certainly enjoy playing this game.  Available to play from day one via Xbox Game Pass, this is not (in my opinion) an experience that you can afford to miss.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Everyone who loved the previous entry, will surely enjoy this one, that lacks real improvements and innovations

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

Sniper Elite 5 doesn't have anything new to say, but its open-ended missions make for a devilishly enjoyable Nazi-slaying sandbox.

Gamepur - 7 / 10

Rebellion Games has been quietly refining this formula for 10 years. The studio found an enthusiastic audience, among whom are other writers at this very site. You already likely know if you are interested in Sniper Elite 5.

IGN - 7 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is still a satisfying and spectacularly gross way to shoot Nazis in their nether regions, but it feels like the series needs to start aiming its sights a little higher.

Press Start - 7 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is undeniably a better game than its predecessors. Every level is packed modestly with things to do, and the kills are endlessly enjoyable. But some antiquated design choices, a done-to-death setting, and a ho-hum story keep it from reaching its full potential. It's a shame too, because at its core Sniper Elite 5 is one of the best Sniper experiences you can play right now, it's just everything else that's letting it down.

TechRaptor - 7 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 is a really fun time, but it's bogged down by a dull story, graphical glitches and boring characters.

COGconnected - 60 / 100

Sniper Elite 5 let me down. I expected the next generation of this franchise. Instead, we got Sniper Elite 4.5. If Rebellion Developments hopes to continue this series down the line, they’ll need to return to the drawing board and bring something fresh next time.

GameSkinny - 6 / 10

Combining the shooting action of Sniper Elite with the replayability of Hitman sounds like a winning idea. But is it?

Twinfinite - 3 / 5

The gameplay mechanics and open world that felt fresh and fun in 2017 now feel outdated and stale. Combine this with levels that lack interesting vantage points or unique ways to kill enemies, and it wasn’t long before my immersion into the wacky world of Sniper Elite 5 went up in smoke.

ComingSoon.net - 5 / 10

Sniper Elite 5 already aims low by being only a small improvement upon its underwhelming predecessor, but it still manages to fall short of its target.

Gfinity - 4 / 10

The sniping in Sniper Elite 5 is still as gruesomely satisfying as in previous games, but various aspects of the game’s design actively take the spotlight away from it, making for a clunky and frustrating shooter.

ACG - Buy

"Sniper Elite 5 does what I didn't expect, it made me want to come back to the series as well as each level in the game to see what changes I could make. A very good example of how a sequel should work in these kinds of titles."

Eurogamer - Essential

Through its invasion mechanic, Sniper Elite 5 achieves the ultimate goal of any sniping game, to capture the tension and drama of Jude Law and Ed Harris squaring off in Enemy at the Gates. If, like me, you watched that film when you were too young to do so, and thought "I wish there was a game that let me do that", rather than the more balanced "wow, war is terrible," then Sniper Elite 5 is that game, just without the Russian setting or Rachel Weisz. Couple that with eight superbly flexible sandboxes and the most imaginative interactive representation of the second world war in at least a decade, and you've got yourself one of the most entertaining games of the year.

Game Revolution - Unscored

Invasion Mode is the saving grace in Sniper Elite 5, rescuing a safe sequel that would otherwise be tough to celebrate. With that said, I still need to experience the competitive multiplayer side of things, which could also be a highlight.

Polygon - Unscored

It’s worth returning to that earlier word — “fun.” While much of the design seems rooted in the past, if there’s one feeling that endures after a session of Sniper Elite 5, it’s that Rebellion hopefully has a solid blueprint to do something truly innovative and worthwhile with Sniper Elite 6. Until then, raucously silly fun will have to suffice.

Push Square - Unscored

Sniper Elite 5 knows exactly who it's aimed at, and Rebellion is on target as always. The developer's dense French sandboxes are hugely replayable, and look fantastic to boot. There are some sloppy gameplay mechanics, like the climbing and twitchy camera, but these are easy to forgive. A wide array of difficulty options mean both super-agents and rookies can eke something out of this title, and with the release accommodating so many different play styles, it represents a real bullet to our heart – or should that be balls?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Sniper Elite 5 brings back the series' signature sharpshooting, but its rigid close-combat objectives force you out of the sniper nest too often.

TheSixthAxis - Unscored

With a new WW2 tale to tell and Axis plot to foil, Sniper Elite 5 expands and refines a lot of the action that will be familiar to fans of Sniper Elite 4. There's a few rough edges, but this is a fun stealth action romp for Karl Fairburne.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sniper Elite 5 (26 May 2022) - Information Thread, update: first reviews from OpenCritic posted

Anyone else download & play this yet? About halfway through mission 1, feel like I need to tweak the controller settings on camera movement as it feels as though I am constantly fighting it when aiming, but aside from that it's a hell of a lot of fun so far!

• Thanks 1