Steams Antitrust Case Dismissed

SimpleG

Another thought…

If this judge considers Valve’s 30% cut nessicary to pay for online services for their users, where does that leave Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft charging on top of that?

I’m sure the console manufacturers would still win in court if it ever came to it, for several reasons.  One being they’d say its priced into their consoles.  Perhaps that argument gets a tad weaker after the Deck is out.

I like how these companies come after the store that's one of the most consumer-friendly in terms of not overcharging you for a bunch of shit and is otherwise fairly standard from the publisher/developer side... but they all seem real keen on not riling up any of the console manufacturers, where they might actually have more of a case since they recoup a bunch of their online infrastructure costs via a completely separate fee taken directly from the end-user. Hell, I don't think Sony even allows you to buy digital copies of games from places like Amazon anymore, or at least buy codes or whatever. They're locking shit down despite their PS4 "hee hee here's how you share games" BS.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Another thought…

If this judge considers Valve’s 30% cut nessicary to pay for online services for their users, where does that leave Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft charging on top of that?

I’m sure the console manufacturers would still win in court if it ever came to it, for several reasons.  One being they’d say its priced into their consoles.  Perhaps that argument gets a tad weaker after the Deck is out.

That's exactly the argument, though I don't really believe that should work for Nintendo, even if it likely would in court. The argument "we subsidize hardware with our cut of software sales" would easily win. I'm guessing it's the biggest reason nobody is going after them. Steam gets a big target because it holds a near monopoly on a market that existed before them and that they don't control. If Valve went out of business tomorrow, PC gaming would still be a thing. If Sony noped out of console gaming, there won't be another Playstation. It makes going after console manufacturers trickier.

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's exactly the argument, though I don't really believe that should work for Nintendo, even if it likely would in court. The argument "we subsidize hardware with our cut of software sales" would easily win. I'm guessing it's the biggest reason nobody is going after them. Steam gets a big target because it holds a near monopoly on a market that existed before them and that they don't control. If Valve went out of business tomorrow, PC gaming would still be a thing. If Sony noped out of console gaming, there won't be another Playstation. It makes going after console manufacturers trickier.

If Sony noped out of console gaming, there would still be plenty of other consoles.