Any runners here care to answer a question?

Kal-El814

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's interesting. Never heard that in my life.

It's true.  Doing the motion of running while the ground moves under you is a far cry from propelling yourself forward on static ground.  I'm not a sports trainer/doctor/scientist or anything, but I assume it has something to do with using different/more muscles?  Plus maybe air resistance pushing against you as you run that doesn't exist on a treadmill?  Harder to breathe with wind coming at you?  I don't know, could be a number of things I suppose.  But I remember when I first started running.  I figured I'd start training for my first 5K on a treadmill.  I was way out of shape.  Spent months working my way up to being able to do 4 miles on the treadmill at a respectable pace for a guy my size without slowing down.  One day it was super nice out and I though to myself, "Hey, Self.  Why don't you run outside today?".  Went outside, warmed up and started running.  I was completely gassed inside of 2 miles.  Just done.  It was incredible how different it was.  After that I restarted my training program, this time outdoors only and haven't looked back.  I'll still use a treadmill occasionally when the weather is shitty or when it's too cold out (I'm a wuss when it comes to running in the cold), but it's a poor substitute.

When I renew my gym membership for the summer, I love using the treadmill to very specifically focus on increasing my pace and doing some interval work so I get to an anaerobic state, then I can just pop off and recover. Road and trail running are a different beast where it’s about setting a realistic pace and battling every single, tiny, horrible incline and bit of uneven road.

There are few better things though than running through a forest or in the countryside, cold but nice day, listening to music, nothing to do except look about and to keep on going.