Any runners here care to answer a question?

Kal-El814

Why do people run on the street when the sidewalk is… right there? I’m not talking about crowded city sidewalks where you’d need to be dodging people constantly, I get that. I mean on suburban or less populated areas where the sidewalks have little foot traffic and cars are not necessarily expecting people in the streets.

What gives?

Just now, Nokra said:

I'm not a regular runner by any means, but I wonder if it might have something to do with not wanting to get surprised by e.g. someone coming out of a building or around a corner? 

I live in a pretty wooded area, most of the roads have a sidewalk on at least one side, and people still run in the street more often than the sidewalks. There are corners, of course, but you’re way less likely to run into a human rounding a corner while running on a sidewalk accidentally than be hit by a car coming around a corner even if they’re driving the speed limit.

It’s not a few runners neat me, it’s almost all of them, so I figure there has to be a reason for it since I would assume it’s significantly more dangerous to run in the street.

37 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Why do people run on the street when the sidewalk is… right there? I’m not talking about crowded city sidewalks where you’d need to be dodging people constantly, I get that. I mean on suburban or less populated areas where the sidewalks have little foot traffic and cars are not necessarily expecting people in the streets.

What gives?

I don’t run on the street, but it is generally flatter than the sidewalks given the driveways and random fluctuations in height.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

What gives?

Stupidity? 

6 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Anyone who runs on purpose when there’s no danger you’re trying to escape from is already weird and deranged, so this non-sensical behavior is in line with them. 

what if there are kittens in the distance and you can’t wait to pet them ahhhhh

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Cement is much harder than asphalt so that's probably why.

I've also wondered why people run in the road. Google definitely backs up your claim:

"Concrete is a much harder surface than asphalt or macadam. It's the worst commonly encountered surface that you can run on and should be avoided like the plague. To compare the "hardness" of concrete and asphalt, hit each surface with a hammer and see how it feels to your hand and arm."

Now I kind of want to run in the road.....  

10 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I've also wondered why people run in the road. Google definitely backs up your claim:

"Concrete is a much harder surface than asphalt or macadam. It's the worst commonly encountered surface that you can run on and should be avoided like the plague. To compare the "hardness" of concrete and asphalt, hit each surface with a hammer and see how it feels to your hand and arm."

Now I kind of want to run in the road.....  

BRB going to get arrested testing this theory.

• Haha 1

I ran for many years in many different places and if there was a sidewalk, I used it. I racked up over 4,000 total miles running. I feel I can say, with pretty solid confidence, its not a materials beneath your feet issue. I've heard some say that they need to stay in a head space to keep running and changes in geometry and materials throw them off (i.e. busted concrete and curb cuts) but honestly, I think its just an excuse. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I ran for many years in many different places and if there was a sidewalk, I used it. I racked up over 4,000 total miles running. I feel I can say, with pretty solid confidence, its not a materials beneath your feet issue. I've heard some say that they need to stay in a head space to keep running and changes in geometry and materials throw them off (i.e. busted concrete and curb cuts) but honestly, I think its just an excuse. 

How fast can you run a mile?

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

you don’t think the surface a person is running on has any effect on a possible injury that could occur over a period of time? 

i think over exercising and possible bad technique/form play a larger role but with running being high impact i think the surface definitely can play a role. 

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

you don’t think the surface a person is running on has any effect on a possible injury that could occur over a period of time? 

i think over exercising and possible bad technique/form play a larger role but with running being high impact i think the surface definitely can play a role. 

Oh I do think its possible that bad running form and improper gear can make for damage over time, BUT I will tell you that if those issues aren't put in check right away then the runner has much bigger problems than Concrete vs Asphalt. 

If I go to work early and leave my house around 6am, I will encounter at least 2-3 runners running in the middle of the road.  Who the fuck thinks running on the double yellow line is safe?  I will politely drive by and roll my window down and tell them to “get to the fucking shoulder”.  All runners are psychopaths. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

What gives?

I'm a runner who runs mostly in the suburbs.  I do this.  For a few reasons.  I can't speak for other runners, but it's mostly a safety thing.  Compared to blacktop, sidewalks tend to have far more cracks, uneven or lifted, broken pieces to trip on or to twist an ankle or a knee on.  I'm less likely to step on or through something and wipe out on the road than I am on a sidewalk.  Lots of neighborhoods tend to have trees planted in front yards or, worse, the curb strips.  All over the place are sidewalk tiles that have been cracked or lifted by roots.  Also, and this is area dependent of course, not everyone trims those trees high enough.  I'm around 6'4 and there are streets around here where I have to constantly duck or hunch over while I'm running to avoid taking a branch to the face.

When you're running long distances having a broken, uneven running surface results in more foot, ankle, knee, and joint injuries generally over time.  Plus it's harder than asphalt so you risk more long-term impact injuries.  And with the heightened chance of tripping and eating shit, there's just flat out far less risk of a running injury running on the road versus the sidewalk.  It's easier and safer to run in the street.

That said, runners like me who run in the street should be following basic street running safety and etiquette.  Be visible.  If you need to stop, move to the sidewalk.  Run single file if you're running with someone.  Run as close as you safely can to the curb, only swinging out just enough to avoid parked cars.  And always always always run facing traffic.  If you've got someone running with traffic, or way out towards the middle of the road or something, then that's just an unaware asshole.

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Back then in my 30s, when I was a god damn exercise machine, I was clearing miles under 6 minutes. Now I clear them in about a minute...driving to get burgers in my car. :sun:

Yea, in my college basketball days I was running 5.35 min miles easy. 

55 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If I go to work early and leave my house around 6am, I will encounter at least 2-3 runners running in the middle of the road.  Who the fuck thinks running on the double yellow line is safe?  I will politely drive by and roll my window down and tell them to “get to the fucking shoulder”.  All runners are psychopaths. 

That's fucking funny 🤣 

2 minutes ago, Slug said:

I'm a runner who runs mostly in the suburbs.  I do this.  For a few reasons.  I can't speak for other runners, but it's mostly a safety thing.  Compared to blacktop, sidewalks tend to have far more cracks, uneven or lifted, broken pieces to trip on or to twist an ankle or a knee on.  I'm less likely to step on or through something and wipe out on the road than I am on a sidewalk.  Lots of neighborhoods tend to have trees planted in front yards or, worse, the curb strips.  All over the place are sidewalk tiles that have been cracked or lifted by roots.  Also, and this is area dependent of course, not everyone trims those trees high enough.  I'm around 6'4 and there are streets around here where I have to constantly duck or hunch over while I'm running to avoid taking a branch to the face.

When you're running long distances having a broken, uneven running surface results in more foot, ankle, knee, and joint injuries generally over time.  And with the heightened chance of tripping and eating shit, just flat out there's far less risk of a running injury running on the road versus the sidewalk.  It's easier and safer to run in the street.

That said, runners like me who run in the street should be following basic street running safety and etiquette.  Be visible.  If you need to stop, move to the sidewalk.  Run single file if you're running with someone.  Run as close as you safely can to the curb, only swinging out just enough to avoid parked cars.  And always always always run facing traffic.  If you've got someone running with traffic, or way out towards the middle of the road or something, then that's just an unaware asshole.

Interesting, it wouldn't occur to me to run towards traffic, since that's not how you do it when you're cycling. 

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Interesting, it wouldn't occur to me to run towards traffic, since that's not how you do it when you're cycling. 

Yeah, bikes are supposed to ride with traffic, runners are supposed to run against traffic.  Basically when you're running against traffic it is easier for you to react to and avoid unaware or distracted drivers and cyclists. You can see them coming, and it's easier for them to see you.  People running or walking against traffic have a 70+% lower risk of being hit by a car.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I gentleman I work with who is 66 yrs old ran a few miles every day. He can barely walk now and said he really fucked up his joints etc with all the running. If I were to run (you won't catch me dead doing it ever) I'd strictly use a treadmill. You runners are killing yourselves.

Treadmills are good for cardio but they suck for training distance running.  Treadmill running and actual running are two completely different exercises that just look vaguely similar.

11 hours ago, Slug said:

Yeah, bikes are supposed to ride with traffic, runners are supposed to run against traffic.  Basically when you're running against traffic it is easier for you to react to and avoid unaware or distracted drivers and cyclists. You can see them coming, and it's easier for them to see you.  People running or walking against traffic have a 70+% lower risk of being hit by a car.

Very true! Running against traffic has saved me from over zealous snow plows on more than one occasion! 

It's not just the hardness of the surface that causes people to run on the street, but also the fact that when you're running on the sidewalk, every block requires a different surface to adjust to (sidewalk to street back to sidewalk again). By running on the street, the pavement remains the same all the way through the run. Back in the days when I was doing serious running, my choice was always the dirt to the side of a road first, the road itself and then the sidewalk last.

22 hours ago, Slug said:

Treadmills are good for cardio but they suck for training distance running.  Treadmill running and actual running are two completely different exercises that just look vaguely similar.

Thank goodness I don’t plan on doing any of those things!