Sign in to follow this  
chakoo

Sega Master System Recommendations?

Hey,

So i've decided that I need to build out my SMS library. I really want to get into picking up some games that are boxed/CIB. I bought the system some time back and bought a few loose games but did not really put much effort in to getting some of the classic games. Yet recently seeing my local game store get a bunch of stuff in and looking into some games more I really want to turn this around. I started buy picking up a boxed copy of shinobi and put a good 2 hours in over the weekend (need to go back and play some more).

So the purpose of the thread is to look for recommendations on things I should priorities over others. As well get some SMS discussion going. =)

I should start off with what I have. I have loose carts for Castle of Illusion, Sonic 2, Thunder Blade, Double Dragon, Kenseiden, & Choplifter. Of those I probably put most of my time into Sonic 2 (I'm a big fan of the sms/gg sonic games) and choplifter (great fun). On the boxed front I have Shinobi now and just yesterday bought Ys: the Vanished Omens and Master of Darkness. I'll have those in a few weeks. Ys I got for a great price but Master of Darkness cost a pretty penny =/

I'm possibly eyeing a few cheaper boxed games my local store has that look fun in videos like Rampage (always enjoy this one), Time Soldiers (looks fun) and Rambo 2 (I have a soft spot for rambo games due to rambo on genesis).

-edit-

Some videos on the games I recently bought.

I should mention high on my want list atm is:

Phantasy Star

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Golden Axe Warrior

I've only played through a couple Master System games before - Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy. They're both really awesome (Phantasy Star especially so).

I only had little exposure of the Master System growing up. So I have also tried out a few others. I want to get Shinobi and the Wonderboy and Alex Kid games. I'm not interested in the genesis or arcade down ports. I am interested in playing Double Dragon some. I also want Shinobi on PC Engine.

Did a little splurging today at my local game store. Picked up Time Soldier, R-Type and a second controller. Gave both a go tonight and got my ass handed to me in both. Time Soldier is kind of cheap but looks nice. R-Type is a great version from what i've played so far. Also photo includes shinobi that I got a week back. I can't wait for Ys to show up next week.

sms_zpsyxpjmvsj.jpg

On 5/4/2016 at 2:34 AM, gamer.tv said:

Wonderboy in Monster Land is my favourite Master System game by a long way.  

I've always had trouble getting into wonderboy games when I tried them in collections or the versions on other platform. =/ I might have to try giving it another shot on sms some day.

On 5/4/2016 at 4:26 AM, X-pert74 said:

I've only played through a couple Master System games before - Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy. They're both really awesome (Phantasy Star especially so).

Phantasy Star is on my want list. Just waiting till I find a good copy for not too crazy of a price.

On 5/5/2016 at 10:43 PM, Rodimus said:

I only had little exposure of the Master System growing up. So I have also tried out a few others. I want to get Shinobi and the Wonderboy and Alex Kid games. I'm not interested in the genesis or arcade down ports. I am interested in playing Double Dragon some. I also want Shinobi on PC Engine.

I tried a lot of systems growing up but I had zero exposure to SMS growing up. It's kind of crazy since I was even exposed to things like TG16 but never master system. I would say don't ignore some of the down ports because some are labled or viewed as such but are entirely different games. Like the sonic games are nothing like or connected to the genesis versions.

I have a soft spot for Time Soldier just because I like games/movies with time travel, and the premise of just murdering dinosaurs and indigenous period folks is so ridiculous and awesome.

The only Master System game I have actual childhood memories of is Psycho Fox, which is a kind of bad platformer that will kick your ass. Well also Global Defense, which is an OK shooter.

7 hours ago, Reputator said:

I have a soft spot for Time Soldier just because I like games/movies with time travel, and the premise of just murdering dinosaurs and indigenous period folks is so ridiculous and awesome.

It's not a bad looking game. I would say it's only fault is no strafe button. It makes boss fights tedious since you spend more time running around waiting for a super tiny gap to fire 2 shots before you're running around again. I do like that of the few times I played the game levels are not consistent and you get send to different time periods. So it mixes up the game every time you play. 

I actually didn't know about the randomization. That's cool! The strafe thing was pretty common. As I recall Ikari Warriors on NES didn't have a strafe option either, but then the sequel did.

I would have to say any early game collecting on a sega system should be arcade game based.

While I do enjoy a few arcade ports to SMS like Hang-On (it's built into my version of the system). I personally do not find it to be the best games on the system. You'd be far better served on the genesis if looking for arcade ports at the time. Yet still a far cry from how close or spot on the saturn was for arcade ports.

If you more mean arcade style games, then I still say hit or miss. The pro being simple play through since many/most SMS games don't have save functionality but then that still excludes some fantastic games the system got that were not arcade style games.

I've been meaning to post this. My two games came in a week ago. Man Ys is really hard since the game does not give you a whole lot of info to go on and enemies pretty much kill you in 1/2 hits. =/

sms_games_zpsi9i93cay.jpg

Those are true statements about Ys as I have put in approximately five minutes into it for that reason. Though I don't own it myself anyway.

I loved Space Harrier 3D (do you have the glasses with your SMS?). Phantasy Star is my second favourite RPG of the NES/SMS generation. The first is Dragon Warrior 2. 

6 hours ago, apoc81 said:

I loved Space Harrier 3D (do you have the glasses with your SMS?). Phantasy Star is my second favourite RPG of the NES/SMS generation. The first is Dragon Warrior 2. 

Sadly no glasses. I kind of wish I got into SMS sooner as the local game shop where I did get my system from had the glasses but they were gone less then a month before I bought the system. I do hope to eventually get them one day.

hqdefault.jpg

+1 to the collection today. Photo to come later. It was a bit expensive ($100CAD/$76USD after tax) but in really good shape, complete and the USA version (not the euro release). So price wise over all it was fare, just not a great price.

I've seen ads and online play through but never played it my self. I played the crap out of the genesis game (along with castle of illusion). Hope to eventually get both into my genesis collection.

So on the master system front, I started looking into what else I want to get. I think i'll have to build a list to make it easier to hunt down. Europe got soo many games it's kind of crazy to figure out what to get. =/

I also need to make a conscious decision on when to get the USA version over the euro version for some games since the price difference is almost 4x in some cases. Yet also make sure I don't pay inflated prices on the euro versions because of the usa versions as well (like some games the euro version is only $15-$20 but sometimes you might find someone trying to get $50 because the usa version is $80 and it's hard to tell the difference between the usa and euro versions).

On 7/13/2016 at 0:35 AM, Rodimus said:

Have you guys seen the arcade version of Moonwalker?

I remember playing through it at a Putt-Putt Lock-in.

wow this brought back memories.  I use to play it at the arcade in Vegas.

I had a Sega Master System...by far my favorite game is Zillion

200px-Zillion_Coverart.jpg

3 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

wow this brought back memories.  I use to play it at the arcade in Vegas.

This! I came to say this!

4 hours ago, eggydoo said:

I've heard nothing but good things about zillion. It looks fun, and I hope to get it some day (local shop has it but I don't like the condition of the case for the price they want).

A bit of an odd ball addition to my collection but I was at a store over a week back and it was between this and a clean copy of Altered Beast. I thought it might be fun to pick up a few of the 3D games in prep for when I eventually get the glasses (missed out on a chance for one in the past). I would like to eventually get my hands on zaxxon 3D because while it's not zaxxon every video i've seen on it looks cool.

photo%202_zpscycwlnto.jpg

Oh I need to update this topic. I have a new game in the collection, Vigilantly (sure not great but i'm a sucker for irem) and it was cheap. Cart is a bit damaged but the box and manual are still in great shape.

I also landed on a small treasure trove of Master system games for sale at a fair price. So I have 3 games (Land of Illusions, Strider 2 and Joe & Mac) I will be getting soon and if all goes well I might buy up more from the guy.

Cool Vigilanty, I played that a few weeks ago on the master system. I have this game on the tg16. The big difference besides the spelling Viglante, is the text. In the tg16 the story is skinheads kidnapped Madona. That alone was what drew me to the game. It is like Kung Fu but that is no surprise.

IMG_0078.jpg

I now understand why there is little love for Vigilanty. There is enough nuggets there for a good game but the whole thing falls apart because all the AI does is run into you and grab you. If they stood a bit back and did punch/kicks then the game would be a lot better. Even though I get my ass kicked I like how the bosses require you to punch high and low to attach them and not just mash on the controller. =/

I might have to pick up the tg16/pce version in the future and see if it plays any better (I've heard it does).