Update: Houston authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the Astroworld Festival crowd surge

ABC13.COM

Eight people died and hundreds were injured at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival. The event was canceled after the mass casualty incident.

Holy moly, absolutely awful situation. We were supposed to host an event for the festival on Monday but it seems likely the rest of the festival is completely cancelled.

Essentially, what happens is that crowds in the back push forward and the people at the front get compressed. It sort of happens in waves, so there are "pulses" that act on the people up front who are hemmed in by some barrier or the stage itself. 

It happens more than you think:

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Apparently people had been getting trampled all day from when gates first opened all the way to the end

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Apparently people had been getting trampled all day from when gates first opened all the way to the end

Even a couple of people wearing a mask in there!

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Mouth to mouth isn’t part of CPR anymore except for medical professionals. A medic having someone’s friend give mouth to mouth seems weird? Unless I’m wrong @CastlevaniaNut18?

From what I recall, mouth to mouth doesn’t lead to better outcomes in many (most?) situations, but it would be difficult to know as a stranger whether the person fits to criteria in which mouth to mouth is beneficial. If you can only do one, chest compression is far more important.

But for me, the particulars of what the poster did is less an issue and the lack of preparation on the part of the event organizers is.

There is also a really creepy video of Scott pausing the show recognizing somebody was in distress and then starting back up as he watches the lifeless body of the person being carried over the crowd. 😬

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

From what I recall, mouth to mouth doesn’t lead to better outcomes in many (most?) situations, but it would be difficult to know as a stranger whether the person fits to criteria in which mouth to mouth is beneficial. If you can only do one, chest compression is far more important.

But for me, the particulars of what the poster did is less an issue and the lack of preparation on the part of the event organizers is.

CPR is one of those things that's really interesting in that the medical community looks at outcomes and data often and tailors recommendations based on that data regularly. I believe the mouth to mouth bit has been scrapped because people were not super willing to do it, which caused delays in administering any intervention.

When I worked in hospitals something like 18 years ago and got trained on CPR for adults, children, and infants, the official recommendation at the time was to not call 911 / administer mouth to mouth or compressions to infants who have stopped breathing until they've been like that for 60 seconds since it's something that infants do on their own somewhat "regularly." They changed that guidance after getting the (somewhat obvious in hindsight) feedback that people aren't generally willing to just look at an infant that isn't breathing for a minute and not do anything.

A few years back, the company I work for got some employees trained on CPR. Mouth to mouth was still taught. The professionals provided everyone with a mouth apparatus that allows you to blow into the person’s mouth without have to make contact.  Sandlot did show how creepy Americans are. 

the sandlot squints GIF

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

A few years back, the company I work for got some employees trained on CPR. Mouth to mouth was still taught. The professionals provided everyone with a mouth apparatus that allows you to blow into the person’s mouth without have to make contact.  Sandlot did show how creepy Americans are. 

the sandlot squints GIF

I think the "no mouth to mouth" guidance is recent, maybe even this year or last year.

mc_opengraph_600x315.jpg
WWW.MAYOCLINIC.ORG

Do you know how to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)?

Basically unless you've got medical training or recently did a CPR course, it's chest compressions only.

Even in the videos I've seen where it's not "that serious" of a stampede, you can still hear people screaming for help.

It sounds like a crew that had no idea what to do with crowd control or basic emergency response.

220000 people were at Woodstock 99, which is widely regarded as one of the biggest shit shows of the modern era, and only 3 people died. And that included people breaking down fences and setting fires.

This festival seems like an utter breakdown of every measure of crowd control and medical response

44SC7SNVHBGTDFSPKVAK7CJNNI.jpg?_a=ATABla
WWW.CLICK2HOUSTON.COM

At least eight people are dead and several others were injured Friday night at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival at NRG Park, authorities said.

“There are a lot of narratives out there right now, on social media and even last night,” Finner said.

One such narrative circulating is of an individual injecting others with drugs. Finner said a security officer reported that he felt a prick in his neck while he was responding to the crowd surge. When he was examined, he fell unconscious. Paramedics reportedly administered Narcan, which revived the security officer, Finner said. Medical stiff did observe what appeared to be a needle prick on the man’s neck.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:
44SC7SNVHBGTDFSPKVAK7CJNNI.jpg?_a=ATABla
WWW.CLICK2HOUSTON.COM

At least eight people are dead and several others were injured Friday night at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival at NRG Park, authorities said.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

If there's one thing I know about drug users, it's that they generally don't like to give away drugs for pranks. Sounds like the "strangers are giving drugs to your kids" campfire tales that get spread around every halloween.