Prisoners in 17 states have gone on strike

Starting on August 21, prisoners in at least 17 states are expected to refuse to go to work, launch sit-ins in common areas, boycott commissaries, or go on hunger strike, according to Dorsey, an electrical lineman who’s a member of the IWW’s Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee.

Considering America's "for profit" incarceration system coupled with a legal systems that effectively criminalizes the poor for existing, I think it's fair to say that it's pretty close to "modern day slavery".

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Starting on August 21, prisoners in at least 17 states are expected to refuse to go to work, launch sit-ins in common areas, boycott commissaries, or go on hunger strike, according to Dorsey, an electrical lineman who’s a member of the IWW’s Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee.

Considering America's "for profit" incarceration system coupled with a legal systems that effectively punishes the poor for existing, I think it's fair to say that it's pretty close to "modern day slavery".

Slavery during incarceration is specifically allowed in the 13th Amendment. 

I feel for them, but I would bet the majority of the American suburban public (i.e. modern-day white land-owners) will shrug and say "they are criminals and shouldn't have landed themselves in prison if they didn't want to be treated this way."  Most white Americans probably view any treatment of prisoners as justified simply because they broke the law, regardless of what that law was.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I feel for them, but I would bet the majority of the American suburban public (i.e. modern-day white land-owners) will shrug and say "they are criminals and shouldn't have landed themselves in prison if they didn't want to be treated this way."  Most white Americans probably view any treatment of prisoners as justified simply because they broke the law, regardless of what that law was.

I think maybe the "modern day white land owners" was unnecessary.   

I liken it to illegal immigration.   Do you know who hates illegal immigrants the most?  It's not white people, its legal immigrants.  It's those who played by the rules to get here whom have the biggest problem with those who didn't/don't. 

A better identifier would be "most American suburban people* (i.e. land-owners) will most likely shrug and say..."    In other words, wtf does the color of ones skin have to do with the content of their character?

And with that said, I agree that the prison system needs a huge overhaul, and support most of what the prisoners planning on doing. 

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh Lordy!  Trotting out a quote from the white man's favorite negro!

:shrug:

you could have also said, "Trotting out a quote from the black man's favorite negro" and you would have been equally correct, so I fail to see how skin color has any bearing on the quote? 

3 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

you could have also said, "Trotting out a quote from the black man's favorite negro" and you would have been equally correct, so I fail to see how skin color has any bearing on the quote? 

Are you SURE that MLK is the black man's favorite negro?  I'm willing to bet that Malcolm beats out Martin in the black community handily these days while I have no doubt that Malcolm fills the vast majority of the white community with sheer abject horror.

30 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

meh, if they dont want to be treated like slaves then they shouldn’t have broken the law. 

Yeah, let's treat human being like they're garbage because they made a mistake. I'm sure that'll teach them a lesson and they'll become productive members of society when they're released. 

Fuck off with that shit.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, let's treat human being like they're garbage because they made a mistake. I'm sure that'll teach them a lesson and they'll become productive members of society when they're released. 

Fuck off with that shit.

It was a joke!  jfc  Look at the post above that one. 

I mean, rapists and killers prolly shouldn't be back on the street. My Grandma's sister was shot numerous times after helping a woman escape her abusive BF. The guy was arrested but made bail and then killed my grandma's sister. My grandma went to every parole hearing. He never made it out of prison and will die there. 

The prevailing wage demand should not be met. I mean, if it was, you are better off getting sent to jail as a job in some areas. 

23 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

follow the posts.  cv says white land owners will shrug and say they deserve it.  next post, a white land owner shrugs and says they probably deserve it.  :shrug:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post. :p 

Unless you're kidding, which is entirely possible. Like @CastlevaniaNut18, I took your earlier posts seriously, but I often don't know when you're joking, so it's possible you were earlier (didn't come off that way to me). But this asserstion, that I've quoted from you - is ridiculous.

That's a false equivalency without historical context if I've ever seen it. It made complete sense that @CitizenVectron singled out white suburban land owners. Because their feelings towards "criminals" is not the same, or exactly the same, as minority suburban land owners. And given I am a minority suburban land owner, as are my parents (my parents are multiple suburban land owners all over the country, in fact) I can say that amongst that community, there is certainly good reason to single out white suburban land owners' views towards this issue as being different than non-white suburban land owners on this issue, even if there may be some overlap between the two. :) 

Given that few non-white suburban land owners are backing the current administration, but many white suburban land owners do support the current administration, it is even more apropo for CitizenVectron to single out white suburban land owners, because it is them (within his base) that Trump will listen to most on what to do next on this issue, given the strikes will have to be addressed (or intentionally ignored, which is what Trump will do probably because fuck criminals of every kind, amirite?), and I can promise you it does not match what minority suburban land owners would say. And that's why the distinction matters, especially now. 

And while you aren't wrong that legal immigrants, like my wife and parents, have strong feelings like being mad at the illegal part of undocumented immigrants, to suggest that legal immigrants hate undocumented immigrants more than white people (on average), that's a ridiculous assertion. They may be unduly harsh towards undocumented immigrants because of jealousy/envy/spite/whatever, but to hate them more than white people on the whole? Do you think it's legal immigrants or Trump's white base that's pushing current immigration policies? C'mon now. 

Hey maybe the next president will do something about it...

Most of those prisoners now work as groundskeepers, janitors and in prison kitchens, with wages that range from 8 cents to 37 cents per hour. Lawyers for Attorney General Kamala Harris had argued in court that if forced to release these inmates early, prisons would lose an important labor pool.

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-ff-federal-judges-order-state-to-release-more-prisoners-20141114-story.html

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post. :p 

Unless you're kidding, which is entirely possible. Like @CastlevaniaNut18, I took your earlier posts seriously, but I often don't know when you're joking, so it's possible you were earlier (didn't come off that way to me). But this asserstion, that I've quoted from you - is ridiculous.

That's a false equivalency without historical context if I've ever seen it. It made complete sense that @CitizenVectron singled out white suburban land owners. Because their feelings towards "criminals" is not the same, or exactly the same, as minority suburban land owners. And given I am a minority suburban land owner, as are my parents (my parents are multiple suburban land owners all over the country, in fact) I can say that amongst that community, there is certainly good reason to single out white suburban land owners' views towards this issue as being different than non-white suburban land owners on this issue, even if there may be some overlap between the two. :) 

Given that few non-white suburban land owners are backing the current administration, but many white suburban land owners do support the current administration, it is even more apropo for CitizenVectron to single out white suburban land owners, because it is them (within his base) that Trump will listen to most on what to do next on this issue, given the strikes will have to be addressed (or intentionally ignored, which is what Trump will do probably because fuck criminals of every kind, amirite?), and I can promise you it does not match what minority suburban land owners would say. And that's why the distinction matters, especially now. 

I was totally a joke. 

"It made complete sense that @CitizenVectron singled out white suburban land owners. Because their feelings towards "criminals" is not the same, or exactly the same, as minority suburban land owners."

And given I am a white* suburban land owner, as are my parents (my parents are multiple suburban land owners all over the country, in fact) as are many of my friends and family, I can say that among our community, there is certainly no good reason to single out white suburban land owners' views towards this issue as being different than non-white suburban land owners on this issue.   

The problem CV is pointing out has nothing to do with the color of these people's skin, but everything to do about their ideologies and education.  That is where the focus should be.  

"And while you aren't wrong that legal immigrants, like my wife and parents, have strong feelings like being mad at the illegal part of undocumented immigrants, to suggest that legal immigrants hate undocumented immigrants more than white people (on average), that's a ridiculous assertion. They may be unduly harsh towards undocumented immigrants because of jealousy/envy/spite/whatever, but to hate them more than white people on the whole? Do you think it's legal immigrants or Trump's white base that's pushing current immigration policies? C'mon now. "

To say that white people hate illegal immigrants  more than those who came here legally, is far more of a ridiculous assertion.  You have to stop thinking that because Trump is president that his base represents the majority of white people, as it is just not true.  The only reason Trumps base is pushing this through is because Trump is the one in power.  I'm also not going to label it as a "white people problem" as once again it is an ideology problem.  

28 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

60% of qualified voters voted.  Then on top of that, you have Hillary winning the popular vote, and on top of that Trump ran against HC.  What I mean by "represents" is that Trumps views do not represent "white people".  

What was his winning % of white suburban voters, though? If you take away white people in the major urban centres on the coasts, he probably had quite the margin on white suburban voters.

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

A few years ago a guy killed a elderly couple and robbed them. He killed my friend who stopped to help him with car problems after which he stole his truck. He killed another elderly couple and robbed them. So we should "let him go" for making a few mistakes?

What am I missing here? Who is saying we should release violent criminals with no regard?

Most people in the prison system are there for nonviolent offenses.