• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $740 (as of 07 January)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • Jason

Missing icons.   12/27/2016

Unfortunately, we lost a bunch of user icons due to the data loss a few days ago—but we didn't intentionally remove any so if yours is gone please feel free to just set it back.   -Jason
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GuyWhoPostsThings

When you first played Myst, did you get the red pages, blue pages, or the green book?

Which one?   4 members have voted

1. 1. Hmmm

• Red Pages (freed Sirrus)
    • Blue Pages (freed Achenar)
    • Green Book
    • I didn't get that far

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

H9xnA3m.jpg

myst-07.jpg

54-1157_Green_Book_and_the_Two_Pages.jpg

If you haven't played the game and want to do so some day, then don't read any of this as it's all about the endings.

I couldn't figure out the puzzles back in the day, so I never get that far. I had to use some cheat where I could go wherever I wanted to go, so I actually found out how to go to the area in the Green Book (but since I never got far into the game, I didn't know there was a green book or where I was). And since I didn't have the final page, I was stuck there forever.

When I was playing the game, I trusted Achenar more as the fact that he seemed so crazy seemed like a trick to make me side with Sirrus. And then it turns out that both of them can't be trusted anyway. :P And the way they trick you is so vile; not only do you become imprisoned in the book, but they remove the pages one by one to mock you, even though you worked so hard to free them! Geez.

I had a Mac at the time with a cd rom drive. However I was not allowed to play games on it. While at times I did find a way to play games on it. Playing games for any long period wouldn't have worked. That and having a cd of a game wouldn't go unnoticed. It wasn't until college that I could play games freely. Then riven had come out and the size of that game turned me off to the series.

I don't think I ever legitimately solved any of the puzzles on my own. My dad "helped" me, and when he wasn't around I was useless.

... And my dad was never around... -_-

Lol but seriously though, I never got to the end.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't think I ever legitimately solved any of the puzzles on my own. My dad "helped" me, and when he wasn't around I was useless.

... And my dad was never around... -_-

Lol but seriously though, I never got to the end.

It was the one game my dad actually played with my brother and me. I know we solved plenty of puzzles, but I only got two red and two blue pages and never got farther than that.

I played Myst right around its release, so I was 10, or just about to be. Most of the puzzles were too hard for me, but I would ask my dad for help who was further along and I would also read the notes that my dad took in the journal that they supplied with the game.

By the time I got to the end, I chose the blue book. I felt bad for Achenar. He seemed like a tortured soul by his brother, but otherwise good. So I freed him, and then was blown away by his betrayal. When I told my dad I expected that he too must have suffered the same fate; Achenar was obviously a good man in need of help. But my father had not made the same mistake, and in response, he just kind of smiled and told me I was too trusting. That ending of Myst and my father's response stuck with me. I decided from then on that I would be more careful and skeptical of people's supposed good nature. I also remember feeling lucky that I learned that lesson from a video game, rather than life.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:43 PM, legend said:

I played Myst right around its release, so I was 10, or just about to be. Most of the puzzles were too hard for me, but I would ask my dad for help who was further along and I would also read the notes that my dad took in the journal that they supplied with the game.

By the time I got to the end, I choose the blue book. I felt bad for Achenar. He seemed like a tortured soul by his brother, but otherwise good. So I freed him, and then was blown away by his betrayal. When I told my dad I expected that he too must have suffered the same fate; Achenar was obviously a good man in need of help. But my father had not make the same mistake, and in response, he just kind of smiled and told me I was too trusting. That ending of Myst and my father's response stuck with me. I decided from then on that I would be more careful and skeptical of people's supposed good nature. I also remember feeling lucky that I learned that lesson from a video game, rather than life.

Ha, that's pretty much where I fell! Granted, I didn't complete the game, but Sirrus felt like he was trying too hard to seem good, while it seemed like they were deliberately trying to make Achenar seem crazy so you wouldn't trust him. I was surprised when I first read they both betray you.

I played this with my grandfather back in the day.  Started with Riven.  Somehow we finished that game.  And back in the day when you actually had to write down notes to solve puzzled and whatnot, nothing like the easy puzzles of today.  

I'm currently replaying Myst (the version with a 3D environment you can actually traverse) on steam on my macbook w/ headphones in a small, one-person study room in a really cool library on my days off and it has been one of the most zenlike experiences ever.  I highly recommend trying to play this game in such an environment at least once, it somehow enhances the atmosphere, for me at least.

On 3/13/2016 at 11:43 PM, legend said:

By the time I got to the end, I chose the blue book. I felt bad for Achenar. He seemed like a tortured soul by his brother, but otherwise good. So I freed him, and then was blown away by his betrayal. When I told my dad I expected that he too must have suffered the same fate; Achenar was obviously a good man in need of help. But my father had not make the same mistake, and in response, he just kind of smiled and told me I was too trusting. That ending of Myst and my father's response stuck with me. I decided from then on that I would be more careful and skeptical of people's supposed good nature. I also remember feeling lucky that I learned that lesson from a video game, rather than life.

Can I just say that this remains one of the coolest impressions I've ever read from an old video game? Super serious, I even shared your story on GAF. xD

3 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

Can I just say that this remains one of the coolest impressions I've ever read from an old video game? Super serious, I even shared your story on GAF. xD

(That's supposed to be a smile, but D1P isn't loading it right now :P )

I played Myst with my grandma when I was 7 or 8 years old. I wasn't much help lol. But I remember a lot about the game. I know we made it to the end but I dont remember the outcome. I know she bought the guide as well. Fun times. My grandma always had up to date computers so I was able to play a lot of pc games from ages 7 and up. 

I believe I picked the blue pages but somehow had an earlier save to go a different route after I got the bad ending. Then I went the green book route. I wish I still had the copious journal I kept while playing that game. It would be so interesting to look back on it through my 13 year old eyes.