Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, Injured Director

Also...just get rid of real guns on set. Yeah, I get it, fake guns with CGI flashes aren't "as real," but neither are fake explosions, and audiences will accept them in unrealistic situations. Or just build guns with internal gyroscopes/mechanisms that give a kick when the trigger is pulled, and then add the flash in post (if you need that kickback).

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think we can hand-wave the fact that a person improperly handled a firearm and it resulted in a death just because it was apparently normal behavior on film sets to just take somebody else’s word for it that a gun was “cold”. As I mentioned in the thread on the entertainment board, nothing Baldwin was doing meets the standards of the absolute most basic gun safety course you’ll ever take.

I can’t believe that such protocols were standard fare on movie sets when I started reading up on it in the trades after the initial reports from the shooting came out.

Are actors even required to take gun safety courses if they will be handling firearms? 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Are actors even required to take gun safety courses if they will be handling firearms? 

It seems as though the answer is “it depends on the production” as to exactly what level of training is done. It also appears from my reading on the subject that gun safety training on movie sets is often primarily about following movie industry protocols for gun handling, which are not as stringent as something like basic firearm safety classes for a license to carry/conceal carry permit at the state level.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

No one is required to take a gun safety course (in America) to handle firearms.  Yet they can still be charged with a crime if they mishandle one.  

You do in many circumstances, whether it is is to get a license in the state, or for insurance purposes as a business. There are many scenarios one can find themselves in which they couldn’t legally be even in possession of a firearm without having completed safety training.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It seems as though the answer is “it depends on the production” as to exactly what level of training is done. It also appears from my reading on the subject that gun safety training on movie sets is often primarily about following movie industry protocols for gun handling, which are not as stringent as something like basic firearm safety classes for a license to carry/conceal carry permit at the state level.

You do in many circumstances, whether it is is to get a license in the state, or for insurance purposes as a business. There are many scenarios one can find themselves in which they couldn’t legally be even in possession of a firearm without having completed safety training.

To own/possess a firearm, in some states you do need to take a firearm safety course.  But to simply hold or shoot a firearm, you don't need to do so.  The only people who would not be able to legally hold or shoot (let alone own or possess) a firearm are prohibited persons.