Update: Twitch blames "server configuration error" that allowed "malicious third party" to obtain leaked data

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Started as a huge Overwatch streamer, got kicked out of the Overwatch League for saying his competition enjoys sucking cock, has more or less been killing it as a variety streamer ever since. He can be mildly entertaining when he’s tweaking out over something but otherwise he’s your typical spazzy Twitch trash. 

I’m really trying to be open as I age with what the younger generation is interested in and they make it so fucking hard with this shit.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m really trying to be open as I age with what the younger generation is interested in and they make it so fucking hard with this shit.

xqc streams are shit and kids have shit taste

Everyone should just watch MOONMOON instead. And then Clint but he never streams. Aris(AvoidingThePuddle) is good as well. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Twitch / streaming WILL go though some of the same motions that other media formats have gone through. We’ve already seen it with stuff like Podcasting and YouTube. Seems like anyone could do it, it gradually gets more professional, the slickest / best stuff floats tot he top, the masses end up fighting over scraps. Because it’s the internet and not broadcast TV / feature films, the barrier to access generally will remain low, but at some point there’s going to be consolidation.

Very on point. But somehow the live streamers will be immune from the same thing that happens to every other form of media in history, because? People working for themselves and making money doing so will be far fewer, and instead networks will emerge that buy up the talent and the ability to create an audience for yourself will be dramatically decreased.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't tho. People who make up the minds of others can fuck off. 

You agreed that the growth will slow. That is the key point in all this. You can only have what is currently happening with the exponential growth as people try and figure out how to make money off this new paradigm. And then reality sets in, the growth falls off, and the mechanisms being used to grow individual channels drops off. The people who handle their business well survive and thrive on the other side of the crash as the platforms continue extracting a larger share of the revenue. This creates the impetus for the realignment and rebalancing of the whole system.

And it leads directly to consolidation. So, yes, you agree but simply don’t know what follows from that point. Be a student of media history and you’ll see where this always leads.

yZWQBg79FBUxw2Nghdkw3U-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

How bad is it? According to IT security pros, really bad.

Just when we thought that Facebook's lengthy downtime would be the biggest cybersecurity news of the week, hackers went and absolutely bulldozed Twitch, swiping the site's source code and revealing everything from how much the top streamers make (a lot) to the existence of a Steam-like game client Twitch has in development, codenamed Vapor.

Twitch is still trying to figure out what exactly happened, but while that internal investigation unfolds—and it could very well take a long while, given the scale of the hack—security experts are warning of potentially dire consequences for the livestreaming platform.

"Reading of a data breach that includes the entire source code, including unreleased software, SDKs, financial reports and internal red-teaming tools will send a shudder down [the spine of] any hardened infosec professional," ThreatModeler founder and CEO Archie Agarwal told the Threatpost blog. "This is as bad as it could possibly be."

So Twitch is a microcosm of the global economy. Not surprising! I know a decent of people trying to do twitch and celebrate making like $50 a month despite putting a terrible number of hours and resources into it. Some aren’t making a single penny.

5 minutes ago, vaxick said:

And despite the insane wealth of some of these streamers, they'll never miss a moment to ask their fans to send them money while on stream as they pretend they "need it" to keep doing what they do.

Outside of maybe twitch prime, they really don't do this. At least the biggest ones don't do this any more. Go into any 5 digit streamer's stream. Doubt you see much of this. 

1 hour ago, vaxick said:

And despite the insane wealth of some of these streamers, they'll never miss a moment to ask their fans to send them money while on stream as they pretend they "need it" to keep doing what they do.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Outside of maybe twitch prime, they really don't do this. At least the biggest ones don't do this any more. Go into any 5 digit streamer's stream. Doubt you see much of this. 

Yeah going back to Max. He always says, oh you don't have to donate but he thanks the people that do.

x8VCNoZwuhhkaoD2UJnDvY-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

All down to a configuration change, apparently.

"We have learned that some data was exposed to the internet due to an error in a Twitch server configuration change that was subsequently accessed by a malicious third party. Our teams are working with urgency to investigate the incident.

"As the investigation is ongoing, we are still in the process of understanding the impact in detail. We understand that this situation raises concerns, and we want to address some of those here while our investigation continues."

That is, Twitch is putting this down to the human element: someone set up the company's servers incorrectly, and the hackers were able to find and access it. Whether this is human error or something more nefarious is unknown for now.

And the other thing this statement makes clear is that Twitch itself is still trying to understand just how bad this is.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Twitch blames "server configuration error" that allowed "malicious third party" to obtain leaked data
18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Are there any good breakdowns of the demographics of both twitch streamers and twitch viewers? I wouldn’t be surprised at all if white males are over represented in both categories.

And the solution to that problem is always simple: promote the streams of non white dudes and you will bring more non white dude viewers which will drive more non white dude channels to be created.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Are there any good breakdowns of the demographics of both twitch streamers and twitch viewers? I wouldn’t be surprised at all if white males are over represented in both categories.

This is the only data I could find - it's from 2018 but I seriously doubt that there have been significant shifts since then.

81.5% of streamers/viewers are male

71.5% of streamers/viewers are white

1*6FnyY-UBXMKTjJUgtICunA.jpeg
BLOG.STREAMELEMENTS.COM

We believe that streaming should be about fun, community and acceptance. However, our recent findings show that for many on Twitch, sadly…

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
x8VCNoZwuhhkaoD2UJnDvY-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

All down to a configuration change, apparently.

The problem here isn't that there was a misconfiguration that lead to data being exposed. The real problem is that all of that data was taken and Twitch didn't realize it until it was all released to the public. Like, even a CEO shouldn't be able to pull that much data from servers without raising red flags.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:08 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I think Twitch has an oversaturation problem and I think Microsoft is partially to blame for killing off Mixer because there were a lot of cool girl gamer streamers on there. People like A1000years and that girl that @mudads streamed with are cool and they had their people and their viewership is higher on a different platform than try to sink or swim on facebook gaming or try to make a splash on Twitch.

Who did I stream with?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't remember her name. I think it was ESO or something like that though (that she was playing).

I guess I am more confused as I never really did stream. Maybe a one off here or there, but not regularly. Do you mean I was playing in game with her while she was streaming maybe?