Update: Twitch blames "server configuration error" that allowed "malicious third party" to obtain leaked data

Keyser_Soze

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

That’s not the the point that people complaining about boob streamers are making at all.

I don't know, I've seen people argue that booby steamers get more promotion and featured space than the more legit gaming female streamers, and hurt the credibility of Twitch for other female streamers.

I think Amouranth making 3x more than Pokimane, who I think was the largest female streamer on the platform, speaks to that. 

A girl that licks microphones simulating oral sex making 3x more in sub/bit revenue than a girl that actually play games isn't a great look.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I don't know, I've seen people argue that booby steamers get more promotion and featured space than the more legit gaming female streamers, and hurt the credibility of Twitch for other female streamers.

I think Amouranth making 3x more than Pokimane, who I think was the largest female streamer on the platform, speaks to that. 

A girl that licks microphones simulating oral sex making 3x more in sub/bit revenue than a girl that actually play games isn't a great look.

One very successful “boob streamer” does not make a pattern. Honestly if twitch has a problem it’s that the top streamers are overwhelmingly white men.

And the notion that the existence of boob streamers hurts the credibility of other female streamers is misogynistic and misguided.

• True 2

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

One very successful “boob streamer” does not make a pattern. Honestly if twitch has a problem it’s that the top streamers are overwhelmingly white men.

And the notion that the existence of boob streamers hurts the credibility of other female streamers is misogynistic and misguided.

Now you have an idea of who the people who complain about her (them) are. How dare a girl earn money on here, this site is for gamin' only! And if it's a girl gamin' then we gonna hate raid her and Twitch isn't going to do anything!

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

So its the female game streaers who complain about it, and about how because of boob streamers fans expect them to do the same, that are misguided misogynists? Because female gamers have definitely been the largest voice against it, Pokimane and Valkyrae included. They've shown the receipts of the constant barrage of abuse they get from fans of boob streaming. Get that shit off twitch, it isn't needed.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

So its the female game streaers who complain about it, and about how because of boob streamers fans expect them to do the same, are misguided misogynists? Because female gamers have definitely been the largest voice against it, Pokimane and Valkyrae included. They've shown the receipts of the constant barrage of abuse they get from fans of boob streaming.

Saying it’s the fault of boob streamers that people expect other streamers to offer more explicit content is complete trash. That’s completely the fault of the people doing the asking / harassing. 

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

So its the female game streaers who complain about it, and about how because of boob streamers fans expect them to do the same, that are misguided misogynists? Because female gamers have definitely been the largest voice against it, Pokimane and Valkyrae included. They've shown the receipts of the constant barrage of abuse they get from fans of boob streaming. Get that shit off twitch, it isn't needed.

Then maybe Twitch should do more to moderate harassment; the onus isn’t on the ‘boob streamers’. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Saying it’s the fault of boob streamers that people expect other streamers to offer more explicit content is complete trash. That’s completely the fault of the people doing the asking / harassing. 

Its not just asking for more explicit content, its threats an harassment because they speak out against them.

Again, get rid of it. There's plenty of places to do that stuff, twitch doesn't need it.

52 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Its not just asking for more explicit content, its threats an harassment because they speak out against them.

Again, get rid of it. There's plenty of places to do that stuff, twitch doesn't need it.

The existence of boob streamers on the platform has precisely fucking nothing to do with people getting harassed. Nothing. There are plenty of gaming spaces that offer no platform for more adult content and women on those platforms get doxxed, threatened, and harassed as well. The problem isn’t amouranth showing her ass on Twitch, and it wouldn’t go away if she was kicked off the platform.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

ok fine i’ll ask, someone explain to me what the fuck a xqc0w is

Started as a huge Overwatch streamer, got kicked out of the Overwatch League for saying his competition enjoys sucking cock, has more or less been killing it as a variety streamer ever since. He can be mildly entertaining when he’s tweaking out over something but otherwise he’s your typical spazzy Twitch trash. 

• Thanks 1

I think Twitch has an oversaturation problem and I think Microsoft is partially to blame for killing off Mixer because there were a lot of cool girl gamer streamers on there. People like A1000years and that girl that @mudads streamed with are cool and they had their people and their viewership is higher on a different platform than try to sink or swim on facebook gaming or try to make a splash on Twitch.

The main thing I get out of this is that these people making monies streaming better have good financial planners as this thing will crash at some point, and those who handled their finances well will be able to weather the storm and find success in the new normal.

43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The existence of boob streamers on the platform has precisely fucking nothing to do with people getting harassed. Nothing. There are plenty of gaming spaces that offer no platform more more adult content and women on those platforms get doxxed, threatened, and harassed as well. The problem isn’t amouranth showing her ass on Twitch, and it wouldn’t go away if she was kicked off the platform.

Yeah, I don't understand this argument. It's tantamount to just saying there are guys that can't control themselves when they see cleavage, so they start harassing every other woman they see. How on any planet would the solution there be banning cleavage when the obvious problem is the toxic guys that supposedly can't control themselves?

• True 1

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The main thing I get out of this is that these people making monies streaming better have good financial planners as this thing will crash at some point, and those who handled their finances well will be able to weather the storm and find success in the new normal.

I know Max has stated on stream he's got a tax guy a stock guy etc because he has no interest in doing those things himself. I think most of these people will be fine.

Remember Mr. Beast is like the richest person ever and he's only doing Youtube from what I understand.

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, we have no history of money flooding into a novel industry only for nobody to actually know how to make money doing it.

OH WAIT, it’s the story of literally every industry you can think of. Streaming like this won’t grow infinitely. A wall will be hit, the money will dry up, and the industry will find a new normal that is actually sustainable. And the ones who prepare will make it to the other side. Unfortunately a ton of these people have no experience handling basic finances, and are now literally amongst the wealthiest people in the world.

Get ready for lots of stories of massive tax issues for these folks!

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, we have no history of money flooding into a novel industry only for nobody to actually know how to make money doing it.

OH WAIT, it’s the story of literally every industry you can think of. Streaming like this won’t grow infinitely. A wall will be hit, the money will dry up, and the industry will find a new normal that is actually sustainable. And the ones who prepare will make it to the other side. Unfortunately a ton of these people have no experience handling basic finances, and are now literally amongst the wealthiest people in the world.

Get ready for lots of stories of massive tax issues for these folks!

Between direct advertising and data collection, I’m sure Twitch has some nice revenue streams going. It’s ‘crash’ will not be that bad. 

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Between direct advertising and data collection, I’m sure Twitch has some nice revenue streams going. It’s ‘crash’ will not be that bad. 

The crash isn’t going to be Twitch itself, it is going to be the revenue sharing with the content creators that tanks. It’s going to be the direct sponsorship dollars that tank. It will all have to readjust in a major way in the new few years, same as what happened with YouTube in the last decade.

Twitch / streaming WILL go though some of the same motions that other media formats have gone through. We’ve already seen it with stuff like Podcasting and YouTube. Seems like anyone could do it, it gradually gets more professional, the slickest / best stuff floats tot he top, the masses end up fighting over scraps. Because it’s the internet and not broadcast TV / feature films, the barrier to access generally will remain low, but at some point there’s going to be consolidation.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The crash isn’t going to be Twitch itself, it is going to be the revenue sharing with the content creators that tanks. It’s going to be the direct sponsorship dollars that tank. It will all have to readjust in a major way in the new few years, same as what happened with YouTube in the last decade.

I see this take all the time. Shit like this has been said for 10 years now and streaming hasn't been hit yet. Sure, it won't rise forever, but any streamer who actually has more than 100 viewers won't even feel the hit. It's only once the big names retire that shit will change. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I see this take all the time. Shit like this has been said for 10 years now and streaming hasn't been hit yet. Sure, it won't rise forever, but any streamer who actually has more than 100 viewers won't even feel the hit. It's only once the big names retire that shit will change. 

The live streaming economy at this current level is not 10 years old, and slowing growth is how crashes happen. So the admission that the growth will level off is an agreement with my premise. No need for further comment!

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The live streaming economy at this current level is not 10 years old, and slowing growth is how crashes happen. So the admission that the growth will level off is an agreement with my premise. No need for further comment!

I don't agree with you at all.