Shenmue III - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Anyone here playin shenmue 3? I can't figure out how to elapse time. Apparently you can jump from a time of day but I have no idea how to do it. I Googled and YouTubed my brains out.

If you've read the thread at all, I'm clearly playing it haha. I believe you press the R1 trigger/button to forward time once you have an objective open. If not R1 try Y/triangle. Remember, controls are context dependent, whether you are in third-person adventure mode, first-person exploration mode, etc. :)

• Thanks 1

As per @Greatoneshere's request, here is the OpenCritic review score aggregate:

Game Information

Game Title: Shenmue III

Platforms:

• PC (Nov 19, 2019)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 19, 2019)

Developer: YS Net

Publisher: Deep Silver

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 71 average - 40% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5 stars

Shenmue 3's real strength is in the way that it suggests a different way of looking at the very storytelling of videogames.

Paste Magazine - 9.9 / 10

Will you like Shenmue III? I can't say. This is likely the last new game I'll play before the year ends, and it's a sure win for my Game of the Year. Shenmue III spoke to me on a level few games have. I thought about giving it a 10/10, even began gearing myself up to argue that with my editor. But Shenmue isn't perfect. It defies real perfection, because life is imperfect. Shenmue III is knobby and requires tremendous, repetitive effort before it gives up the special, unique warmth.

Niche Gamer - 9.5 / 10

With this new entry, only 40 percent of the entire Shenmue story has been told according to the game’s creator. While Shenmue III doesn’t move the plot as far as I’d like, I’m hungry for more.

DualShockers - 8.5 / 10

A throwback to be appreciated.

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Shenmue III feels like a remake of the Dreamcast game that never existed, for better and worse. It's got everything fans loved about the Sega classics, along with some of their baggage. Still, the best of the series is the greatest it's ever been. It can feel as bloated as the originals, and some mechanics feel unnecessary or are poorly explained. If you're curious about that fabled Shenmue charm, though? This is the best entry to date.

PC Gamer - 83 / 100

A seamless continuation of the series that makes up for its limitations with pure heart. It's like Ryo never left us.

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

Picking up exactly where the Shenmue franchise left off in 2001, Shenmue 3 is a marvel of persistence and vision.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

A magnificent, authentic, totally uncompromised sequel that crucially ignores virtually every gaming trend of the past 18 years.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 80 / 100

Shenmue III has some issues and it is not a game for everyone, but, if you enjoyed the two first games and you know what kind of game this is, it will satisfy you, as far as gameplay, setting and plot are quite good and remain loyal to Dreamcast era. It was worth waiting eighteen years. Now the question is: when will we be able to play Shenmue IV?

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Shenmue 3 is an uncompromising love letter to fans of the original games, make no question about it. If you weren't on board before, then this will do little to sway your opinion, as modern conventions have been largely ignored in favour of preserving a 20-year-old experience. While it's not perfect, Shenmue 3 is about as solid of a sequel as we could have expected after all this time.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

If you’ve never played a Shenmue game, that honestly might give you trouble. But if you have played Shenmue, then you’ll feel like you’ve come home with Shenmue 3.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

With Shenmue III, we are offered a glimpse into a gifted mind, constantly turning the everyday into play.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Is Shenmue III dated? Absolutely, but the game proves that, like most genres, open-world adventures still have a thing or two to learn from the past. Shenmue III isn't always as player-friendly as it could be, but its lively, uniquely-handcrafted world is truly absorbing. Here's hoping this isn't the end of Ryo and Yu Suzuki's epic journey.

GamePro - German - 76 / 100

Shenmue 3 polarized: For some it is a dream come true, for others it is frumpy game design in a slightly prettier garment.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.5 / 10

With this episode Yu Suzuki wanted to pay tribute to all the fans of the series, without which, it is useless to hide it, the third piece of the mosaic would never have seen the light. If trying it you will be disappointed for the dated technical aspect and for the now outdated design choices, know that this is how the game would have been if it had been released in 2003/2004, as scheduled. And that's exactly what the fans expected.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Shenmue III is a game true to the past, perhaps too much. Yu Suzuki manages to attract die-hard fans of the original game, but will hardly conquest the heart of the new generation.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.3 / 10

"Shenmue III is a nostalgia trip done right and a great sequel for all the fans of the franchise, but, at the same time, just an average game for all the younger players who never got to play the first two episodes"

Fextralife - 7.1 / 10

Beautiful to look at and live in, particularly in its second half, its charm and story mostly overcome its dated roots, except for the capsule game mechanism which spoils the overall experience.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

I was torn writing this review as I went back and forth multiple times on whether or not Shenmue III's adherence to the past was worth the squeeze. In spurts, it's not. But as I walked back to Shenhua's cottage to turn in for the night after a hard day's work, earning back the money I had gambled away, it hit me: people just aren't making many games like this anymore. We may never even get something like this again if Shenmue IV isn't greenlit, which would be a shame.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

All the ingredients are there to make of Shenmue III is a great Shenmue game : rivetting story, copius side content, beautiful backgrounds and great characters. But it's also a bit dragged down by its dated production values. Gamers who the first two Shenmue games and who can overlook technical shortcomings will have a great time. Bring on Shenmue IV!

Gamer Escape - 7 / 10

So what does all this mean for Shenmue? Well, I think fans are going to enjoy this one, but I don’t think this is going to introduce a new generation of gamers to the series.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7 / 10

Shenmue III is a fan-based classic JRPG that you may love deeply or alternatively makes you feel frustrated.  Although most of its game mechanics are out-dated in 2019, I do find some joy in terms of getting along with those vivid characters and living in the vivid world. At least I hope Suzuki could finish the whole story of the franchise one day.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Shenmue fans couldn't have hoped for a sequel more compatible with the previous entries. They will immediately feel right at home.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Some players may want to mainline Shenmue III in order to see all the story has it has to offer as quickly as possible.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7 / 10

Speaking of a video game of such importance, it is difficult to separate the nostalgia effect from the actual quality. While Shenmue III proposes itself exactly as it wanted to be, on the other hand it stumbles into a series of smears that go far beyond anachronism. The desire to appear in everything as the ideal sequel to a series frozen for eighteen years proves to be a double-edged sword. As much as Shenmue III manages to find internal coherence in its compact rhythm, one cannot overlook the obvious conceptual limits that undermine its overall quality. Yu Suzuki's title does not go beyond the "miracle" of his own existence, and as satisfied as it may be, even for the most dedicated fans it will be impossible not to admit an unpleasant aftertaste of lost opportunity.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7 / 10

The story we never thought would come is already here, outdated in many aspects and mechanics, but maintaining all the necessary charm to not disappoint the fans.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10

Shenmue 3 have delivered what the fans wanted, from it's highly detailed world to its various mini games. However, it's still suffers from its tedious fighting system and bad voice acting, even with a small budget, things could have been better.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Shenmue III has finally arrived, and it is exactly what fans of the series have been asking for.

GameCrate - 6.5 / 10

To put it politely, Shenmue III has the potential to charm existing fans of the Shenmue saga, if only in how much it painstakingly recreates the stilted beauty of its two predecessors. However, if judged on its merits alone and/or by a non-Shenmue fan, this game just feels like a whole bunch of wasted Kickstarter money. If there's one thing that Shenmue III proves, it's that bringing new fans into the fold was never Ys Net's goal.

Gamefa - Persian - 6.5 / 10

Shenmue III could be a much better game if it wasn't for technical issues or gameplay's lack of depth in some part of the game, but in the end, i can say Shenmue III is still an enjoyable experience for fans of series wainting many years to dive again into a "Shenmue" game. Bring lower your expectation and enjoy a beautiful story and fun activities.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6.5 / 10

But sentimental value only goes so far. Shenmue III should have been the final game in this trilogy, all loose ends tied up and (re)vengeance served. Instead, Suzuki-sama hopes to continue Ryo's story and with little improvement made over the past two decades and I fear that a fourth game will stick to this same stagnant formula. Disappointed as I am with this news, my real hope is that he can pull off a fourth and final game sooner than later. Because as much as I love this series, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to feeling let down with this revival and worry about ever seeing the end of this tale.

Worth Playing - 6.5 / 10

Shenmue III is a game for the fans … and only for the fans. It feels like what would have happened if the Shenmue series had continued on the Dreamcast. This is delightful if you were hoping for a continuation of the franchise, but unfortunately, the appeal stops there for most casual players. If you're a fan of playing old, quirky games, you'll find something to like here, but if you can't tell Shenmue from Shamu, you probably won't understand the hype. It's nice to revisit a long-dead franchise, but if Shenmue IV gets made, one can only hope that it's slightly more ambitious.

Cheat Code Central - 3 / 5

Shenmue III deserved something better. The developers should have found a way to meld what makes Shenmue distinctly Shenmue with bringing the game mechanics into 2019. I’m all for remasters of old games and keeping those same clunky mechanics with those old games, including the punishing difficulty. However, I want my sequels to old games to adapt and grow with the times.

Game Informer - 6 / 10

Exploring small towns is still fun and rewarding until you have to engage in battle and dialogue. Then it falls apart

GameSpew - 6 / 10

I’m glad that Shenmue 3 exists, and I hope the series continues so fans get the conclusion they deserve. It’s just a shame that it has rooted itself in the past.

Just Push Start - 3 / 5

In a lot of ways, this review could probably go on for a lot longer highlighting how dated and lifeless this game is, but the fact of the matter is it is meant to appeal to fans. It’s hard to comment on how they’ll feel, but this is objectively a bad game and while it has elements of being so bad it’s good, such as the emotionless voice acting, making it hard to see the value in.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

A literal dream come true for fans and while most others will struggle to understand the appeal it's impossible not to admire Yu Suzuki's vision and tenacity in not only making the game but making it his way.

VG247 - 3 / 5 stars

Despite these annoyances, despite the fact that it’s a game designed with decades-old sensibilities, I enjoyed my time with it. It doesn’t have the conclusion we’ve been waiting two decades for and it barely drives the story forward at all, but the climactic battle is as satisfying as that 70-man tussle in the first game’s harbour.

IGN - 5.9 / 10

Rejoining Ryo Hazuki's quest to avenge his father is exciting, but Shenmue 3 feels like a game that has ignored the innovation and progress of the last 20 years of video game development.

TechRaptor - 5 / 10

Shenmue 3 doesn't tarnish the memory of the series, but it doesn't exactly move it forward either.

USgamer - 2.5 / 5 stars

Shenmue 3 suffers from hamfisted exposition, tedious repetition, monotonous grinding, and a heap of other fundamental flaws that are inexcusable in 2019. However, its environments are so confident in their sense of place that exploration is a capable redeemer, and the game is at times, on that ground alone, worth playing.

Gamers Heroes - 45 / 100

It's the continuation of a story nearly 20 years in the making, with the beloved characters, mechanics, and design that made the original games so popular within that niche. Unfortunately, for everyone else, Shenmue III is archaic in design, limited in content, and flawed throughout.

Bazimag - Persian - 4.2 / 10

It seems like almost bankrupting Sega didn’t teach anything to Yu Suzuki and Shenmue III is the product of that unwillingness to change, a truly awful video game by any standard. Some Shenmue die-hards will call this a masterpiece or say that this is what Shenmue is supposed to be but that simply doesn’t change the fact this game fails in almost all departments and doesn’t even advance the story of the series.

Tech Advisor - 2 / 5 stars

For 99 percent of people, we'd recommend giving this a miss. There are better games out there and what Shenmue 3 does do well, largely the world and the process of digging into it, is ruined by the many many things it doesn't quite pull off.

If you're a big fan of immersing yourself in a world or you loved the earlier Shenmue games, go wild, but your money would be spent better elsewhere.

Eurogamer - Recommended

A bewitching time capsule that transports us to late 80s China, and to turn-of-the-century video games.

Polygon - Unscored

It’s not the lack of elegant dialogue or the glitches that make this game so disappointing, but the idea that a series that was so obsessed with what would be possible from gaming in the future has turned into a way for people to attempt to revisit the past.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

For better and for worse, Shenmue III is a perfect continuation.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Anyone still playing? I've been making serious headway finally now that I have some time and it really does feel like Shenmue. I think I'm only now getting into some depth with the fighting system, which I finally understand. 

I'm still playing. I wish they told you how long you have played but I'm about 10 hours in. Niaowu is pretty big. I really like it.

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm still playing. I wish they told you how long you have played but I'm about 10 hours in. Niaowu is pretty big. I really like it.

They don't within the game but on the Epic Games Store launcher it tells you when you hover your mouse over the game icon I believe. :)

I think I'm almost at Niaowu. Once you get into the game's rythym I feel it all makes a lot more sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...