Sign in to follow this  
JPSoccer4

Backward Compatibility List is out, and it's getting better!

How BC works

They can't make it any simpler.  The pub has to approve, determine if it is worth it to get by the licensing issues, or acquire them again and the non MS published games will continue to be added.  Not sure why there is so much doubt.  This is amazing what they have done here, but I get it, some will continue to hate no matter what.  

I think the best thing about Xbox One having BC isn't about having retail games being compatible but for the very fact that I'm able to play my arcade games I have purchased. Being able to have Pac-Man DX, Lumines, Geometry Wars and Shadow Complex playable in my library is a joy. Those are games I can play in between my sessions of The Witcher, Halo 5, Forza and Tomb Raider.

In a way this will also help boost sales in Xbox 360 games. Last night me and my buddy bought NBA Jam on Xbox.com because it was priced at $5.09 and it's a game we can pick up and play during the NBA season. It's really amazing that MS was able to pull of the emulation on the One and have us have access to games we already owned on the 360. I really hope they keep them coming.

I don't know, I'm kinda happy with this. I sold my 360 like 3 or so years ago and I just got 15 extra games on the system now. Not bad. Really I just hope they add more of xbla games and for fucks sake put in Red Dead Redemption because that's one I can't play on any modern system. Do that and I'm good.

Just noticed this from IGN

New games will be added to these 104 on a regular basis starting in December. Games confirmed to arrive in the future include Halo Reach, Halo Wars, Call of Duty: Black Ops, BioShock, BioShock 2, BioShock Infinite and Skate 3

They can't make it any simpler.  The pub has to approve, determine if it is worth it to get by the licensing issues, or acquire them again and the non MS published games will continue to be added.  Not sure why there is so much doubt.  This is amazing what they have done here, but I get it, some will continue to hate no matter what.  

Yeah I don't understand why people are blaming Microsoft for some games not coming out for BC. Xbox does not own 3rd publisher games so they can't do anything if games they don't own or haven't published don't come out for BC. Also the list might not seem great but Microsoft is not going to release all "great" BC titles. They are going to use this as a marketing tool and release a few games a month to make sure this is relevant every month.

Just noticed this from IGN

I'm pretty sure the developer of Burnout Paradise said they're going to get that game on the BC list as well.

My problem is I had a second 360 XBL account back then-which is where I bought the majority of my 60-70  XBLA titles. I'm still trying to figure out which email/password I used to add that account, and get all those games back

Blah.

Good luck with that if you don't have access to the email account you used to create that Xbox live account with. With the rampage scamming of people stealing customers accounts straight from Microsoft's customer service reps over the phone they have made it almost impossible for their customer service to even give out the information if your trying to recover your account legit.

Oh I know-my original XBL account was made in 2002, under bourne perfect, and was impossible to recover since I no longer had that email. Hence the b0urne perfect I now have. I do still have that email, though I will probably have to try 15+ passwords til I strike Gold (tee hee), since I haven't used it in 5-6 years. 

On a plus note, I have Heavy Weapon on my current account, which is probably a top 5 XBLA title for me.

Oh I know-my original XBL account was made in 2002, under bourne perfect, and was impossible to recover since I no longer had that email. Hence the b0urne perfect I now have. I do still have that email, though I will probably have to try 15+ passwords til I strike Gold (tee hee), since I haven't used it in 5-6 years. 

On a plus note, I have Heavy Weapon on my current account, which is probably a top 5 XBLA title for me.

LOVE Heavy Weapon :D

This is basically what I did to recover the very first XBL account I ever had. Microsoft was a bit willing to help, but my backup email to recover the first email was an account I hadn't used for 10+ years so I was out of luck.

Yeah I don't understand why people are blaming Microsoft for some games not coming out for BC. Xbox does not own 3rd publisher games so they can't do anything if games they don't own or haven't published don't come out for BC. Also the list might not seem great but Microsoft is not going to release all "great" BC titles. They are going to use this as a marketing tool and release a few games a month to make sure this is relevant every month.

It was really great that Sony had full publisher support when the PS2 was backwards compatible. Or when the first several models of the PS3 were. Or Nintendo when the Wii was backwards compatible to use Gamecube games, and the Wii U to play Wii games, and every one of their handhelds has been backwards to at least the previous generation. Why would MS have less publisher support for the Xbox One than they had putting BC on the Xbox 360?

This was a choice by MS. It has always been a choice. If to even do it. When to do. And which games to include.

It was really great that Sony had full publisher support when the PS2 was backwards compatible. Or when the first several models of the PS3 were. Or Nintendo when the Wii was backwards compatible to use Gamecube games, and the Wii U to play Wii games, and every one of their handhelds has been backwards to at least the previous generation. Why would MS have less publisher support for the Xbox One than they had putting BC on the Xbox 360?

This was a choice by MS. It has always been a choice. If to even do it. When to do. And which games to include.

I believe those were different times on those older systems where remastered versions of games was not an idea yet so publishers couldn't make money out of them so they were more willing on the BC idea. In this era where re-masters are coming out left and right, I think publishers are going to think twice whether to make their game backward compatible for free or make a remastered version and make money off it.

Yes it was MS choice to do it but to say they have the power to include whatever games to the BC list it's a little far fetched without the publishers permission.  I have no doubt though that they have been talking to publishers and like it has already been mentioned there are more BC games coming out in the future.

I gave Dirt 3 a whirl just to see how this works. I thought it was pretty slick and dirt ran well. I look forward to more games I want to see in the future. Guess I'll have to start putting some of my saves in the cloud. :P

WHAT ARE ALL THESE ODD SQUIGGLES ON MY SCREEN?!?!?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THEM!!?!?!?!?!?

Letters arranged in such a way as to communicate the answers to all of your queries.  

December additions:

TITLETYPEPUBLISHER
BraidArcadeMicrosoft Studios
DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTIONGames On DemandSQUARE ENIX
Doritos Crash CourseArcadeMicrosoft Studios
Fable IIIGames On DemandMicrosoft Game Studios
Halo: ReachGames On DemandMicrosoft Game Studios
Hydro ThunderArcadeMicrosoft Studios
Iron BrigadeArcadeMicrosoft Studios
Kane & Lynch 2Games On DemandSquare Enix Ltd
Motocross MadnessArcadeMicrosoft Studios
MS. PAC-MANArcadeBANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
PeggleArcadePopCap Games, Inc.
Portal: Still AliveArcadeMicrosoft Studios
SpelunkyArcadeMicrosoft Studios
Splosion ManArcadeMicrosoft Studios
Ticket to RideArcadeMicrosoft Studios
Zuma’s Revenge!ArcadePopCap Games

I think the best thing about Xbox One having BC isn't about having retail games being compatible but for the very fact that I'm able to play my arcade games I have purchased. Being able to have Pac-Man DX, Lumines, Geometry Wars and Shadow Complex playable in my library is a joy. Those are games I can play in between my sessions of The Witcher, Halo 5, Forza and Tomb Raider.

In a way this will also help boost sales in Xbox 360 games. Last night me and my buddy bought NBA Jam on Xbox.com because it was priced at $5.09 and it's a game we can pick up and play during the NBA season. It's really amazing that MS was able to pull of the emulation on the One and have us have access to games we already owned on the 360. I really hope they keep them coming.

As I am playing my Xbone more and more, I really do appreciate that I have access to the purchased digital content from my 360 purchases. I know all of them will not be accessible but if I could get 45% of them, I'd be in heaven. I got to playing some Hardwood Spades last night and loved it. 

As I am playing my Xbone more and more, I really do appreciate that I have access to the purchased digital content from my 360 purchases. I know all of them will not be accessible but if I could get 45% of them, I'd be in heaven. I got to playing some Hardwood Spades last night and loved it. 

Exactly. It is really helping add to my library and makes me feel less wistful about mothballing my 360 (and its 3 250 GB HDDs).