God of War DevCom 2018: GOW was almost set in Egypt, Shu was "horrified" the first time he played it

SaysWho?

On Shuhei Yoshida's first playthrough of the game

One of the pain points right up until the final months of the game's five-year development was combat. Previous titles in the franchise had a tight core combat loop - "square, square, triangle, evade" as Barlog put it - that was used as a foundation for everything else. With God of War, however, the core loop was taking, "forever to get done."

"[In previous games] it felt good. We got that feeling good early and we built on that," Barlog said. "But we didn't have anything feeling good. The core loop didn't feel good, but the combat team was super confident and I trusted them. They got it, but I needed them to get it way earlier, so I was really trying to force it."

"I mean, the framerate was terrible, everything just felt bad... He's playing, he's got scrunched up shoulders, head shaking a little bit. I definitely get the feeling while he's playing that he's not having the greatest of times - which is great. I mean, it bums me out a little bit, but that's what I brought him in here for."

Barlog left the room to instruct the combat team that there was work to be done. Shortly after, Yoshida left had to leave the studio to catch a flight.

"He kinda just shook his head and walked out the door," Barlog said. "He never told me how he felt. In fact, he only told one of my friends, who he saw at a party. He [Yoshida] said, 'Oh, you're working on God of War? I just gotta say, I played the game the other day. I was horrified.'

On GOW almost taking place in Egypt

According to Cory Barlog, they first started discussing the idea of a new God of War game in the same year when Ascension was released. The development team was equally divided in picking the mythology for the new God of War. Half of them wanted to go with Norse myth while the other half wanted to tackle Egyptian myth. Cory was the tie-breaker here and he picked Norse myth for his vision of God of War.

god-of-war-egypt-myth-closeup.png

god-of-war-norse-myth-closeup.png

I think Egypt would probably be the next logical setting.... they have a rich mythology that hasn't been explored that much in pop culture. They REALLY got the combat right in this game. I can imagine it took them awhile to translate the old GOW combat gameplay into this new system but they really nailed it. This is the most FUN I've had playing GOW and I've played and beaten the previous trilogy. Never played the psp games.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think Egypt would probably be the next logical setting.... they have a rich mythology that hasn't been explored that much in pop culture. They REALLY got the combat right in this game. I can imagine it took them awhile to translate the old GOW combat gameplay into this new system but they really nailed it. This is the most FUN I've had playing GOW and I've played and beaten the previous trilogy. Never played the psp games.

I figure God of War has a lot of potential in that department. There's a Norse story happening now. We could have any number of characters go to Egypt after this story is finished. I'm not too familiar with all the different theologies from a long time ago, but as long as there's a will to do it, I can see God of War going on for a long time after the resurgence it's seeing now as the fastest-selling PS exclusive of all time.

Egypt def seems like the next setting for GoW... BUT, I’d rather them do Japan/China as all of the crazy gods/demons/oni in their folklore are just nuts and would be awesome to fight. I’d also prefer a lesser-known thing like Ireland - fighting with and/or against formorians? Oh, hells to the yes. Just look at these things:

34_D5_C13_C-_A161-42_C0-8_D2_B-50139_AE3

A370263_B-4197-4_C30-9_DF8-3051952205_EE

B4826_A58-_C055-45_C9-937_F-_FE2_EA46273

C6_EF3_A38-_AF95-4_FC1-9_DB1-_AF2_C456_D

E097745_D-_AA86-4_C72-_AA71-7162_FE66_F4

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was big into mythology when I was a kid so I always loved he God of War series for that reason. Seeing them branch out now into other mythologies is awesome. This topic is timely for me because I am currently playing through the game right now and loving every second of it. It's Witcher 3 Good... for real.

It took a while for things to click for me. Nothing was going wrong, but the combat just felt so much different than before. But when it clicked, my GAWD, did it click. And the exploration was seriously way, way better than I ever would have thought; it all felt extremely rewarding.

If you haven't, check out Jaffe/Barlog's original ideas for GOW3; exploring other mythologies was Jaffe's idea. GOW3's director Asmussen said they were great ideas but the only way to do them justice was with Jaffe at the helm or Barlog at the helm (who had a different idea). And I get that. I'd have preferred something more than, "Getting revenge on everyone," but I totally get how, if Asmussen had used their ideas, he would have not done them justice by his own admission.

So guess I'm glad Barlog carried the torch!

13 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Could always play Nioh if you want Japanese themed.

I was gonna say the same thing... between Nioh and that new game coming out from FROM SOFTWARE, Japanese mythology seems covered. Chinese on the other hand...

Those Irish illustrations look interesting though. Somebody needs to do a big budget Sinbad game though.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Egypt def seems like the next setting for GoW... BUT, I’d rather them do Japan/China as all of the crazy gods/demons/oni in their folklore are just nuts and would be awesome to fight. I’d also prefer a lesser-known thing like Ireland - fighting with and/or against formorians? Oh, hells to the yes. Just look at these things:

B4826_A58-_C055-45_C9-937_F-_FE2_EA46273

These aren't myths, you can find them walking around certain areas of Belfast. 

• Haha 1