Disney moving 2,000 high-paid workers from California to Florida

15 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I got to AZ at just the right time. Housing market is nuts here already.

I'm legit happy for you because the Florida housing market right now gives few and expensive choices, so a nut housing market I know all too well. As bad as it sounds, we're waiting for the next recession before thinking about buying a new home.

Nashville has seen the same influx of high tech businesses (not necessarily high-paying) in the last 10 years or so since I moved here. I bought my house 6 years ago for just under $200k and now, it's approximately doubled in value. It fucking sucks. 

Didn't watch the video, but this Forbes article says that the workers are part of the Parks department that are not specific to Disneyland, including ShopDisney merchandise, publishing and Disney Cruise Line and Walt Disney Imagineering.

I have the feeling that if you're working for a merchandise store or in publishing, there might be other jobs in CA you could find. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some jobs are so theme park specific that there really aren't many other similar job opportunities out there.

It seems like Disney could find a place for these people in CA if they wanted to. It's not like the area around Disneyland is the only property they own, or that they couldn't expand if they really needed the space. Hell, the recent Fox purchase must have made some decent square footage available. Still, I guess when you have unlimited land and effectively run your own country in Florida, there's no reason to invest more in CA, and when you're Disney, there are a lot of people that will uproot everything to work for you.

22 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Didn't watch the video, but this Forbes article says that the workers are part of the Parks department that are not specific to Disneyland, including ShopDisney merchandise, publishing and Disney Cruise Line and Walt Disney Imagineering.

I have the feeling that if you're working for a merchandise store or in publishing, there might be other jobs in CA you could find. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some jobs are so theme park specific that there really aren't many other similar job opportunities out there.

It seems like Disney could find a place for these people in CA if they wanted to. It's not like the area around Disneyland is the only property they own, or that they couldn't expand if they really needed the space. Hell, the recent Fox purchase must have made some decent square footage available. Still, I guess when you have unlimited land and effectively run your own country in Florida, there's no reason to invest more in CA, and when you're Disney, there are a lot of people that will uproot everything to work for you.

I assume they own the land in CA, and it would be massively better for their business to do as much work as possible outside of CA while using the real estate there for speculation or other uses.

• 2 weeks later...