blueline

Has anyone tried Apple Music yet? Because it's really bad right now.

The track pad is awesome. I use it at my office.

I mean, anything beats those shitty mice Apple makes, but Id rather me that 90~ dollar Logitech mouse for general use.

Trackpad is better on the carpal tunnel and it's just easier for me.

I seem to be in the minority, but I love Apple Music. I use it daily on my iPhone and Mac. The "For You" section has been great at recommending me music based on my "loves" or general plays, and the Curator and Apple Music Editor playlists are great at discovering new content.

I do have iCloud Music Library turned off, and that seems to be where most of the frustration is with Apple Music. I've put far too much time into my iTunes library to give up any element of control. But even with iCloud Music Library off (which means I can't add any music to my library) it's been great for streaming and music discovery.

I seem to be in the minority, but I love Apple Music. I use it daily on my iPhone and Mac. The "For You" section has been great at recommending me music based on my "loves" or general plays, and the Curator and Apple Music Editor playlists are great at discovering new content.

I do have iCloud Music Library turned off, and that seems to be where most of the frustration is with Apple Music. I've put far too much time into my iTunes library to give up any element of control. But even with iCloud Music Library off (which means I can't add any music to my library) it's been great for streaming and music discovery.

It was just determined that unlike iTunes Music, Apple Music doesn't use acoustic fingerprinting to match your music; it solely relies on file metadata. That's the likely culprit for why there are so many problems.

That's the interesting thing about Apple Music. It's buggy as hell, but these bugs seem to almost exclusively reside within the back-end functionality. The UI is solid. It's consistent, it's smooth, and it's glitch-free. I think the app itself is excellent. It's the back-end that has been a huge mess, with issues ranging from song duplication to missing tracks to replaced album art, and even to non-responsive behaviour when trying to add music to your library. The back-end sucks. But I love the app, itself. It's highly polished.

This reminds me of the Apple Maps fiasco, but on a smaller scale. In terms of UI/UX, Apple did a great job. In terms of handling data behind-the-scenes, there's a major problem that needs fixing. Thankfully, I think it will be far less difficult to fix these song matching issues than it has been to bring Maps up to par. While it took about 2.5-3 years to turn Apple Maps into a real contender (in North America, at least), I'd wager that within 6 months to a year, Apple will have ironed out most of the problems with Music and this fiasco will be a thing of the past.

It was just determined that unlike iTunes Music, Apple Music doesn't use acoustic fingerprinting to match your music; it solely relies on file metadata. That's the likely culprit for why there are so many problems.

That's the interesting thing about Apple Music. It's buggy as hell, but these bugs seem to almost exclusively reside within the back-end functionality. The UI is solid. It's consistent, it's smooth, and it's glitch-free. I think the app itself is excellent. It's the back-end that has been a huge mess, with issues ranging from song duplication to missing tracks to replaced album art, and even to non-responsive behaviour when trying to add music to your library. The back-end sucks. But I love the app, itself. It's highly polished.

This reminds me of the Apple Maps fiasco, but on a smaller scale. In terms of UI/UX, Apple did a great job. In terms of handling data behind-the-scenes, there's a major problem that needs fixing. Thankfully, I think it will be far less difficult to fix these song matching issues than it has been to bring Maps up to par. While it took about 2.5-3 years to turn Apple Maps into a real contender (in North America, at least), I'd wager that within 6 months to a year, Apple will have ironed out most of the problems with Music and this fiasco will be a thing of the past.

The app itself is also buggy as hell. I don't have apple music turned on and have never turned it on and I've had more app glitches with the music app in the last few weeks then I have had in my entire time as an iPhone user.

It locks up and crashes. It will get stuck on a single song. Hit skip and the same song comes up again. Over and over. It will play one song and show a completely different song on my screen. You hit play and the song plays for like 1/10 of a second and stops. and won't stop doing that, over and over and over... It's all sorts of really goofy stuff. And the shuffle mode is complete poop. It's never been super random, but now it will seriously play like 4 songs in a row by the same artist, even though it's on shuffle and has like 700 songs to pick from.

This app was rushed out the door.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but the music app is duplicating playlists for some reason. I now have 44 extra duplicate playlists that have spawned in my list. I have a playlist called MEGA. Well, now I have MEGA, MEGA 1, MEGA 2, MEGA 3, MEGA 4, MEGA 5, MEGA 6, MEGA 7, MEGA 8, MEGA 9, MEGA 10, MEGA 11, MEGA 12 and MEGA 13. Then I have like 30 additional playlists that are doing the same thing. Just popping in there at the end of my list. Wonderful. Did I mention that every single one of those MEGA playlists has a different number of songs in them? Because they totally do.

I've found that I can delete these without effecting anything (I think) so whatever, but it's just a sign of how buggy this thing is.

Did I mention that I've NEVER turned on Apple Streaming Music at all for even a second? Because I have not.

The app itself is also buggy as hell. I don't have apple music turned on and have never turned it on and I've had more app glitches with the music app in the last few weeks then I have had in my entire time as an iPhone user.

It locks up and crashes. It will get stuck on a single song. Hit skip and the same song comes up again. Over and over. It will play one song and show a completely different song on my screen. You hit play and the song plays for like 1/10 of a second and stops. and won't stop doing that, over and over and over... It's all sorts of really goofy stuff. And the shuffle mode is complete poop. It's never been super random, but now it will seriously play like 4 songs in a row by the same artist, even though it's on shuffle and has like 700 songs to pick from.

This app was rushed out the door.

I dunno, that hasn't been my experience at all. From a software perspective, it has been rock solid for me. I think I've had the app crash on me maybe twice since I downloaded it over a month ago. And it never freezes on me.

I should point out that I've been on iOS 9 for most of that time, so perhaps there's a difference. I know that Apple Music's menu is much prettier in iOS 9 than in 8.4, so perhaps there are also under-the-hood changes that improved the stability of the software.

Regardless, the server side problems are still a pain in the ass. For me, the three biggest issues are:

1. Duplicate songs everywhere. If I already had something in my library (even something downloaded from iTunes) and I then add the album from Apple Music, the already-downloaded song appears twice. This isn't a song matching issue because it happens even if it's the exact same file from Apple. For some reason, the algorithms can't tell if you already have something.

2. Adding songs to my library often doesn't work. Half the time, I'll tap "Make Available Offline", it'll show the little animation, and then it won't actually be added to my phone.

3. I'm experiencing a weird wireless glitch in which changing the connection pauses my music. If I'm listening to something while I'm on wi-fi and the connection switches to LTE, the song will pause and I'll have to hit the play button to start it again. The strange thing is that this even happens with locally stored music. So even if I'm not streaming anything and am simply playing a music file on my device, a connection switch between LTE, wi-fi, and 3G (in any order) will pause the file. It's not a deal breaker, since hitting play continues where I left off, but it's very annoying experiencing this multiple times per day.

I wonder if it has to do with all of my interconnected smart playlists. It probably does.

They used to work rock solid on iPods when I set them all up years ago, but the iPhone and smart playlists have never played well together. As a music player, a new top of the line iPhone is a way inferior device to a 10 year old iPod.

I think the music app on iOS 8.4 is a stopgap rushed buggy mess. They're probably pouring all of their attention on the iOS 9 version of the app, and they probably should be. But actually, what they probably should have done is have made Apple Music part of the iOS 9 upgrade. Because this all feels pretty half-baked right now.

Trying to get Apple Music to sync and save the proper songs I want to my IPhone is so pathetic. It's confusing what songs are actually saved online, Apple Music for some reason can't handle saving large playlists, the downloading and synching of songs is super buggy. This is just a really bad product that wasn't even remotely ready to be released.

The experience to me about Apple music is about how to convert Apple music from M4P to MP3. As all iTunes audios are DRM protected, there is no right for you to play these audios on Apple unauthorized devices. So I prefer to use a iTunes music converter for windows to convert all these audios to compatible formats. With using such a DRM removal software, you can remove DRM from iTunes and convert audios to common format at faster speed without hampering the quality. After conversion, you will be able to enjoy all iTunes audios on any devices without limitation. 

Learn more:

Play iTunes movies on Amazon Firestick