blueline

Has anyone tried Apple Music yet? Because it's really bad right now.

I just started setting up Apple Music, and Apple should be absolutely embarrassed about how shit their service is right now.

I'm getting duplicate albums on iTunes/my iPhone, the synching between iTunes and my iPhone is garbage, it's laughably clunky and badly designed.

I was hoping for something that would allow me to easily integrate my current iTunes library with Apple Music songs, but right now its not working like that at all.

Yeah, I'm too scared to try it.

I've put way to much blood, sweat and tears into my old fashioned MP3 iTunes library.

I'm like 99% sure that the service isn't for me, and I don't want to screw anything up by messing with the free trial.

Just tried out iTunes on my macbook, though, and iTunes seems to be a hot mess. I've had a great experience with iOS 8.4, but iTunes I can barely get working here.

iTunes is working properly now, I reset the cache, logged out, chose 'Apple Music...' then logged in again and it's been good since. Family sharing worked flawlessly and I expected some kind of issue there. Back to issue free with fingers crossed.

It's still way too early to really evaluate Apple Music, but here are a few preliminary thoughts:

1. If I'm looking for something new and good to listen to, it's great. The curated playlists don't disappoint. Beats had a lot of expertise in this area, and so Apple nailed it. The Beats 1 radio station has also impressed me thus far. I feared it would just be crappy Top 40 radio, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I've heard a ton of great stuff there - some that I know and a lot that I've never heard of before. I also like the whole notion of the shared experience. People were joking about how Apple is promoting something that has existed for 100 years (radio), but in the age of on-demand content, creating this one go-to place for hundreds of millions of people to have a shared experience restores the community feeling that has been lost in the modern age of music.

2. As a music playback tool, I'm disappointed. While Apple Music is great for discovering new stuff, sometimes I just want to listen to stuff that I know and love. In that area, it's not much of an improvement over how it was previously. The mini player, Recently Added, and Up Next are nice features, the UI is slick, and as a whole, it's an improvement over the old Music app, but it's still a long way from what I wanted. The biggest features I wanted (see #3 and #4) are completely absent. The app focuses so heavily on finding good NEW stuff, that it seems to gloss over finding ways to organize and listen to stuff you already know and love.

3. The iTunes UI for Apple Music sucks. While the iOS app is pretty nice, the desktop version is a mess. It feels a patchwork thrown together from multiple ideas over many years. And that's exactly what it is. iTunes tries to do too much and has turned into a Frankenstein-like creation of so many different things, that navigation has become a confusing mess. It looks pretty, but it's a pain in the ass to navigate. It's time for Apple to scrap the entire application and start fresh. If Apple wants this service to be a 'thing' on desktop, it needs to start from the ground up, not shoehorn these features into a UI that was based around our listening habits from a decade ago.

tl;dr - As a music discovery service, Apple Music is fantastic, but as a music playback service, it still leaves a lot to be desired. The iOS app is nice, but the desktop version is a mess. iTunes needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Can someone answer this question...

If my wife and I both use the same iTunes login on each of our phones, can we both share a single Apple Music account, or do we still need a family plan?

Can someone answer this question...

If my wife and I both use the same iTunes login on each of our phones, can we both share a single Apple Music account, or do we still need a family plan?

I'm going to assume it will just say is being used on another device.

Yeah, I'm too scared to try it.

I've put way to much blood, sweat and tears into my old fashioned MP3 iTunes library.

I'm like 99% sure that the service isn't for me, and I don't want to screw anything up by messing with the free trial.

This is where I'm at. I did go ahead with it, and as long as you don't turn on iCloud Music Library, you should be good. However, without that feature turned on, you can't add music to your library or play offline. It's worth using 3 months free just for the on-demand artist/album streaming element.

As for your most recent question, rather than share the same Apple ID for iTunes downloads, I would use individual Apple IDs (which you might have already for iCloud) and just set up Family Share.

This post is a bit hyperbolic and only focuses on a small part of Apple Music, but the author seems pretty unhappy with parts of Apple Music.

I've been as critical of Apple's music apps over the last few years as anyone, but that post comes across as histrionic nonsense. Apple Music on iOS does not have a usability problem. On iTunes, it's a bit of mess because iTunes is overly complex, but on iOS, the new Music app is solid. Maybe it doesn't cover his particular usage scenarios, but the vast majority of people won't have a problem with it.

It's still way too early to really evaluate Apple Music, but here are a few preliminary thoughts:

1. If I'm looking for something new and good to listen to, it's great. The curated playlists don't disappoint. Beats had a lot of expertise in this area, and so Apple nailed it. The Beats 1 radio station has also impressed me thus far. I feared it would just be crappy Top 40 radio, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I've heard a ton of great stuff there - some that I know and a lot that I've never heard of before. I also like the whole notion of the shared experience. People were joking about how Apple is promoting something that has existed for 100 years (radio), but in the age of on-demand content, creating this one go-to place for hundreds of millions of people to have a shared experience restores the community feeling that has been lost in the modern age of music.

2. As a music playback tool, I'm disappointed. While Apple Music is great for discovering new stuff, sometimes I just want to listen to stuff that I know and love. In that area, it's not much of an improvement over how it was previously. The mini player, Recently Added, and Up Next are nice features, the UI is slick, and as a whole, it's an improvement over the old Music app, but it's still a long way from what I wanted. The biggest features I wanted (see #3 and #4) are completely absent. The app focuses so heavily on finding good NEW stuff, that it seems to gloss over finding ways to organize and listen to stuff you already know and love.

3. The iTunes UI for Apple Music sucks. While the iOS app is pretty nice, the desktop version is a mess. It feels a patchwork thrown together from multiple ideas over many years. And that's exactly what it is. iTunes tries to do too much and has turned into a Frankenstein-like creation of so many different things, that navigation has become a confusing mess. It looks pretty, but it's a pain in the ass to navigate. It's time for Apple to scrap the entire application and start fresh. If Apple wants this service to be a 'thing' on desktop, it needs to start from the ground up, not shoehorn these features into a UI that was based around our listening habits from a decade ago.

tl;dr - As a music discovery service, Apple Music is fantastic, but as a music playback service, it still leaves a lot to be desired. The iOS app is nice, but the desktop version is a mess. iTunes needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

There are some great suggestions in that article. I think Tags would be incredible, especially if it could auto generate a playlist based on certain parameters.

I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh start for iTunes, but I don't think it's necessary. It would definitely benefit from a UI clean up. The selection bar between the player and the library is awful, and My Music and Playlists is redundant.

Can you do star ratings and smart playlists with Apple Music?

I'm tempted to un-sync my phone from iiTunes music and go apple music only for a few months without tying it to my collection at all.

Can you do star ratings and smart playlists with Apple Music?

I'm tempted to un-sync my phone from iiTunes music and go apple music only for a few months without tying it to my collection at all.

Yes

I've gotta say, the curation really is fantastic. The depth and breadth of the playlists you can choose from is impressing the hell out of me.

In the "New" tab, scroll down a bit to the sections for "Apple Music Editors", "Activities", and "Curators", and spend some some browsing through them. There's so much great stuff there.

FYI for anyone curious about how it works that hasn't tested it out yet: Shared playlists automatically update when the creator makes changes to them. I'm happy about that. I was kind of worried that they would be static one-offs.

I've gotta say, the curation really is fantastic. The depth and breadth of the playlists you can choose from is impressing the hell out of me.

In the "New" tab, scroll down a bit to the sections for "Apple Music Editors", "Activities", and "Curators", and spend some some browsing through them. There's so much great stuff there.

Yeah this has been my favorite part so far. It's where I've spent all my time. The playlists are fantastic and rather diverse, even within specific genres. I don't think I'll touch iCloud Music Library (I've put too much work into my library and the DRM news today has me concerned) but for $9.99 a month it's worth it just for those sections and the ability to stream anything in iTunes.

I like the interface but the selection is awful compared to Spotify. Compare available albums from the band Yes and Neil Young. I'll stick with Spotify.

I like the interface but the selection is awful compared to Spotify. Compare available albums from the band Yes and Neil Young. I'll stick with Spotify.

iTunes Match is part of the service, so anything missing you can just upload and it'll match with the version from the iTunes store. It'll then be available for streaming anywhere. I added The Beatles myself and now it's no different than if they were a part of the selection.

BTW I'm not sure if it's because I'm in Canada, or what, but Neil Young has over 100 album hits including all of his studio, live, award show, collaboration, and features.

I really like having my personal music and streaming library side by side seamlessly integrated.

I don't like that iTunes has seemingly messed up the tags for hundreds of my songs that I'm trying to fix. I also don't like that the app gets confused when songs have the same name and displays the wrong album info.

I've gotta say, I'm extremely impressed by the app's UI.

I've seen people criticize it because on first sight, it seems very complex since there's so much going on, but if you spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with the app, you start to see that there's a logical flow to everything. Buttons are where I expect them to be. Lists and search results are organized clearly and unambiguously. The flow of menus and tabs and your place within the app - is always very distinct and logical, to the point that I'm never lost or confused within the UI.

There are still a few bugs and hiccups that need to be ironed out, but this is a fantastically designed interface. With the old Music app, I constantly felt like I was fighting it. Even after two years of using it regularly, I still never figured out a proper workflow. It never did what I wanted it to do, and even though it was far less full-featured, navigating it was a lot more difficult. After 3 days, I already have the hang of this app so much better than I ever did with the iOS 7.0 to 8.3 Music app.

I'm impressed at the fact that all that functionality plus a lot more (Up Next, the miniplayer. recents, much better search etc...) were all shoved into the one 'My Music' tab, yet it's still much more intuitive than its predecessor. Kudos to the team responsible for this app.

Apple Music has about 5 Depeche Mode albums, Spotify has all of them.

Why does Apple Music have such huge gaps in available albums? Just about every band I've checked has a more complete selection in Spotify.

Apple Music has about 5 Depeche Mode albums, Spotify has all of them.

Why does Apple Music have such huge gaps in available albums? Just about every band I've checked has a more complete selection in Spotify.

I imagine it's because Spotify has a 9 year head start on Apple Music.

That's no excuse. Apple has relationships with record labels going back 15 years. Apple has been the one to get labels to agree to put music online.

I didn't expect lack of album parity with Spotify to be an issue, but it's bad.

That's no excuse. Apple has relationships with record labels going back 15 years. Apple has been the one to get labels to agree to put music online.

I didn't expect lack of album parity with Spotify to be an issue, but it's bad.

Where do you live? Curious what's going on here. I just checked depeche mode and I literally have like 100 albums (full albums, EPs, live shows, the works). The same deal as Neil Young that you mentioned before. There's also several curated playlists made just for them, including B-sides and rares, deep cuts, live, remixes, intro to, and influenced by.

Looks like they've added a bunch since my rant. I guess June 30th was a soft launch.

Reviewers are really panning it for being bound to iTunes.