Ys9 demo out now on switch/pc!

stepee

Husband has 46 hours in Ys VIII, so 35 isn't bad.

I do think a lot of RPGs today are overly long, with too much filler. I don't mind a longer RPG, I'm playing Dragon Quest VIII right now and I know it's a good 60 hours or more, but it's been paced well so far. DQ VII took me around 85 hours and it was a slog at times. I liked it overall, but I was ready to be done with it.

But I also miss the days of 30-40 hour RPGs and that's a good length for a lot of them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, best3444 said:

Post impressions please :batting:

I never played Ys game. I played both parts and beat both bosses. The vibe I get from the game is Xenoblade and I don’t particularly like that series. There is nothing bad about it but it doesn’t grab me. I downloaded the Monster Hunter Stories 2 demo off eShop and I am digging it more.  I also downloaded Neo: The World Ends with You demo. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband has 46 hours in Ys VIII, so 35 isn't bad.

I do think a lot of RPGs today are overly long, with too much filler. I don't mind a longer RPG, I'm playing Dragon Quest VIII right now and I know it's a good 60 hours or more, but it's been paced well so far. DQ VII took me around 85 hours and it was a slog at times. I liked it overall, but I was ready to be done with it.

But I also miss the days of 30-40 hour RPGs and that's a good length for a lot of them.

I used a trainer on DQ VIII to bump exp by 1.5x just so it wouldn't require as much grinding, I think it still took me about 60 hours. Granted I did damn near everything in the game.

12 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I never played Ys game. I played both parts and beat both bosses. The vibe I get from the game is Xenoblade and I don’t particularly like that series. There is nothing bad about it but it doesn’t grab me. I downloaded the Monster Hunter Stories 2 demo off eShop and I am digging it more.  I also downloaded Neo: The World Ends with You demo. 

Oh well. Ys games are definitely not for everyone. It's old school for sure in some respects. Thanks for the impressions. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I just played the prologue during my lunch, I’m excited to explore this new mystery!

Yea, I'm definitely excited. Watched a few video reviews on it I know I'll like it. 25 hours for the mainquest is ideal for me too.

• Like 1

Game fucking rules so far. Already love the story and characters. Can’t wait to get all the fun mobility options. The city is drab but it’s a prison city, it works for me.

I might have to put FF7R on hold which makes me feel silly for dropping $70 on it but I didn’t know about ys9 switch so soon! I’m still excited to play that too but they are both anime ass action jrpgs that take place in a city. Too similar to play at the same time, and I’m more hooked into the ys9 story and like all the characters better so far.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Game fucking rules so far. Already love the story and characters. Can’t wait to get all the fun mobility options. The city is drab but it’s a prison city, it works for me.

I might have to put FF7R on hold which makes me feel silly for dropping $70 on it but I didn’t know about ys9 switch so soon! I’m still excited to play that too but they are both anime ass action jrpgs that take place in a city. Too similar to play at the same time, and I’m more hooked into the ys9 story and like all the characters better so far.

Just stick with ys9. That's awesome news that you're loving it. I look forward to it!

Trying desperately to finish Ys 8 in a reasonable timeframe. As much as I love it, I always find that I fuck around in it for an hour or two while making only a little bit of progress because it's just so fun going around using high mobility and kicking the shit out of monsters and spamming abilities.

I’m slow as hell but I’m in chapter 3 when stuff is opening up a bit with side quests and stuff in the city and have my base (it’s a tavern in this one!). Man I wish other rpgs made movement as fun as it is in this.