Update: Giant Bomb has added a third Jeff (and a new show with Jeff Bakalar and Dan Ryckert)

crispy4000

Since I have been working from home I haven't been able to listen to as many podcast as I used to Bombcast included. Pretty much with Abbey, Ben and now Alex, Vinny and Brad gone within the same year it's all pointing to the acquisition. There is pretty much no more GBEast after Friday. Bakalar mentioned that he is now part of the games division at Red Ventures.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It may not be the "cause", but it's not unreasonable to assume that such a provision did exist.

Maybe so, it certainly seems possible since they are all leaving at the same time, but the way he stated it makes it seem like that wasn’t the case. 

I truly wonder if any of them are going on to public facing professions. Vinny is so fucking good at it but I’m not sure his heart is in it. Brad I have no idea. He could go be a writer or who knows what. I honestly just did not expect the core group to break up. 

I wonder what Jeff has planned. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Maybe so, it certainly seems possible since they are all leaving at the same time, but the way he stated it makes it seem like that wasn’t the case. 

I truly wonder if any of them are going on to public facing professions. Vinny is so fucking good at it but I’m not sure his heart is in it. Brad I have no idea. He could go be a writer or who knows what. I honestly just did not expect the core group to break up. 

I wonder what Jeff has planned. 

Ben explicitly left because he was exhausted from being so public facing, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same for these guys. Being in media this day and age is completely different from what it was even 10 years ago. 

34 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It may not be the "cause", but it's not unreasonable to assume that such a provision did exist.

Vinny's reply indicated that condition straight up didn't exist. The only theory that I've heard that seems to make much sense is Red Ventures wanting people to relocate to their Charlotte offices. Jeff has expressed a desire to sell his house and with hasn't exactly indicated that staying in the Bay Area is a requirement.

Either way, this has been a huge punch in the gut for me. I haven't been following Giant Bomb from the start, but I think I had been a Premium member since that service rolled out. I have gotten so much value out of that compared to any other subscription service.

14 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Vinny's reply indicated that condition straight up didn't exist. The only theory that I've heard that seems to make much sense is Red Ventures wanting people to relocate to their Charlotte offices. Jeff has expressed a desire to sell his house and with hasn't exactly indicated that staying in the Bay Area is a requirement.

Either way, this has been a huge punch in the gut for me. I haven't been following Giant Bomb from the start, but I think I had been a Premium member since that service rolled out. I have gotten so much value out of that compared to any other subscription service.

Jeff mentioned many times this past year or two having to worry about being evacuated due to wildfires. Maybe he would be up to relocating.

22 minutes ago, The def star said:

You think Jan, Rorie and Jason would want to move? 

Jason has lived all over and Rorie is from the east coast originally. Might all be moot, someone posted a video from a few months ths ago that Giant Bomb would just be moving to a different floor of their current building. Someone else chimed in that RV wanted to consolidate on-screen people into San Fran. That might squeeze out Vinny and Alex. No idea why Brad would leave, more than anyone but Jeff he seemed like a lifer.

This certainly comes as a surprise but not a surprise really at all at the same time. Recently it's seemed like maybe these guys hearts weren't into it as much now as it was pre-pandemic. Seeing Brad with his salt and pepper beard and Jason who can barely see feels kinda like watching a bunch of old rock stars go at it.

I feel like the format of Giant Bomb that was innovative at the time, like let's just play the games and let people watch (But who would watch video games WTF right @Commissar SFLUFAN and @best3444?) and they could get an idea of the game without having written a word. But when last year happened the format felt somewhat archaic especially in the time of Twitch. I mean these guys have a set schedule and then someone else takes over and I just thought why don't all of them do something? And weekends rolled around and they would not have any content because it's like a 9-5 job.

It's interesting when Abby left because she immediately set up her own twitch stream, and I'm not sure how well she's done for herself but 14k followers is nothing to scoff at. I'm sure she's doing well for herself, a more flexible schedule and can go longer than any giant bomb content goes for.

Sad to see them go and will be interesting to see what happens to the site now. Alex was the best Rock Band drummer 🌹

It's honestly been a while since I've consumed too much of their stuff, but man am I sad to see GB basically dissolve. They are pretty irreplaceable, but they also had a hell of a run in such a rough industry.

I have a long drive to work and the Bombcast (and to a lesser degree the Beastcast) was a highlight of the week. Now I'm really down to just RebelFM and What's Good Games (for video game podcasts at least Worst Year Ever is also a regular listen).

19 hours ago, Chris- said:

Ben explicitly left because he was exhausted from being so public facing, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same for these guys. Being in media this day and age is completely different from what it was even 10 years ago. 

Yeah. Ben has even expressed regret to some degree since leaving lol, I wonder if he’d consider coming back if they changed some stuff around. 

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He's not officially an addition. He's just been a guest on the Bombcast for several weeks.

yeah I know. But he’s been on for at least a month so far and he’s been really good. I hope he stays but even if he doesn’t he’s certainly helping in the transition. 

54 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ve listened to half of the latest bombcast and is it just me, or does it feel lessons friends talking mostly shit, but rather industry professionals offering some decent insight blended with comedy? 

I dunno, that's how the Bombcast has always felt. You would go to the Beastcast if you wanted some crazy antics.

What was interesting to me was Jeff has never really worked with Jeff so they kinda got to know each other on this episode.

Yeah I wanna give the Jeffs time to work some chemistry. I feel like B has always been amused at G but it’s different when you have to work together every week. The loss of Brad sucks and the loss of the beast cast is tragic, but the bomb cast felt… somewhat normal this week. It was kinda nice. 

Vinnie is on Brad and Will Smith’s tech podcast this week just an FYI.