Why do you play retro games?

gamer.tv

I seem to have two strands of retro game that I play. The nostalgia strand of games that I played or loved from about 5-10 years old and the games that I never owned, but internet critics and top 10 lists tell me are essential to play.

Two reasons
1. Time: I play retro games because it's easy for me to play for 15-30 mins and have fun. I don't really have the free time to sit around for hours playing a single game (if I do it ends up being yakuza games that take me ages to play).

2. Nostalgia: I collect games for the nostalgia of it all. It's not just about having access to said game but being able to look at the boxes and manuals before/during when I'm going to play a game. I still have fond memories as a kid of looking at game boxes when I was at a store or when getting to rent a game at blockbuster.

I don't play much 8-bit and 16-bit games anymore.  I've beaten most everything from those eras I cared about.  Slowly making my way through Yoshi's Island, and I guess I should give DQV a go someday. Sonic and DKC games too, which I've played plenty of but never beat.

I'm more interested in 32-bit an on with emulation/mod improvements.  AI upscaling techniques really make a lot of them more palatable by modern standards.  And that's excited my interest in older games a lot.  Recently finished FFIX.

Some good games are timeless to me. Also I enjoy finding games I missed. Also nostalgia fits in there. I see old games can be like old movies. They are a product of their time and some can still be fun today as they where when they came out. 

For the most part, it's nostalgia for me as I love to go back to games of my youth I have deep memories playing.  While I don't play them constantly nor frequently, it's fun being able to pull out an old console from time to time to enjoy my past.  

On the flip side, I also love the discovery aspect.  It's fun to be able to play games I never had an opportunity to in the past along with discover games I never really would have given a chance as a child.  Fighting Golf comes to mind and it's become a favorite to play with a friend of mine.  

On 5/2/2021 at 1:22 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Part nostalgia, part games I missed. I didn’t really play a lot of games during the 8 and 16-but eras. 

And they’re just a lot of fun. 

Pretty much this. At at that point in my gaming life that I just like going back to even the really bad games I enjoyed when I was young. Did we know it was a bad game? Not really, but even if it was we would play the hell out of it because we didn't know when we would get another new game. So going back and looking at it through those type of eyes has been fun for me. I have played so much my what now is consider junk and enjoyed it just for what it is. 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:37 PM, Littleronin said:

Pretty much this. At at that point in my gaming life that I just like going back to even the really bad games I enjoyed when I was young. Did we know it was a bad game? Not really, but even if it was we would play the hell out of it because we didn't know when we would get another new game. So going back and looking at it through those type of eyes has been fun for me. I have played so much my what now is consider junk and enjoyed it just for what it is. 

The N64 feels like the first generation for me as a kid where I really could tell the games I were playing weren't all that great.

There are some games I played as a kid and though were ok that were very much bad games. Yet I do find it fun to go back and play games I though were ok yet others said is bad or not good, and yet still find that I enjoy playing them. I've even started to notice over the last year YouTuberes come around to admitting they were being overly harsh on some games. So games like TMNT 1 or the Beavis & Butt Head games.