Forza Motorsport - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC version technical review

Pikachu

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

It also didn't list Xbox One as a platform I don't think, so might be 2022, as they said games would be cross platform for a few years.

All games, though? There were several games in the showcase that didn’t state XBO (just Series X and PC), but, TBF, I don’t recall if they had release dates :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

All games, though? There were several games in the showcase that didn’t state XBO (just Series X and PC), but, TBF, I don’t recall if they had release dates :p 

First party they stated should be cross gen for next few years, so I assume through Holiday 2021 most likely.  I think its why most of the newer games didn't have gameplay, they are still pretty early in development, and will probably start releasing 2022.

All just guesses though.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't see how it could be 2022, they even took a year off last year, there was no Forza. If the trailer is in engine as it claims I mean they've got car models in place and it's looking pretty good.

Yea, I don’t want to rewatch the showcase, but I’m 99% sure there were first party games with 2020-2021 release dates that did not say XBO on it. I think MS cross-gen stuff will be some, but not all. Otherwise, Series X will only be able to offer better graphics and not actually take advantage of the SSD for gameplay related things.

13 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I think that's pretty much the current consensus. 

Forza Motorsport is going to be a "platform" like Halo Infinite

I get the feeling Fable will have the same model too. Kind of a Destiny model. 

I was disappointed we didn’t get to see Forza in action though. They couldn’t show us a race, or give us an idea of the way career mode will be handled this time. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I get the feeling Fable will have the same model too. Kind of a Destiny model. 

I was disappointed we didn’t get to see Forza in action though. They couldn’t show us a race, or give us an idea of the way career mode will be handled this time. 

I imagine it would look a lot like the Gran Turismo video that Sony showed and everyone would say, "Yep that looks like Forza alright!"

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I don’t want to rewatch the showcase, but I’m 99% sure there were first party games with 2020-2021 release dates that did not say XBO on it. I think MS cross-gen stuff will be some, but not all. Otherwise, Series X will only be able to offer better graphics and not actually take advantage of the SSD for gameplay related things.

Article that breaks it down, with updates from Microsoft:

XBOX SERIES X / WINDOWS PC

• State of Decay 3 - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Forza Motorsport - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Fable - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Avowed - optimized for Series X, first party
  • As Dusk Falls - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Everwild - optimized for Series X, first party
  • Stalker 2 - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • Warhammer 40,000 Darktide - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • The Medium - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive

XBOX SERIES X / XBOX ONE / WINDOWS PC

• Halo Infinite - optimized for Series X, will also have optimizations for PC
  • Tell Me Why
  • Grounded - optimized for Series X
  • Psychonauts 2 - optimized for Series X
  • Destiny 2 Beyond Light - optimized for Series X
  • Tetris Effect Connected - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • The Gunk - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive
  • New Genesis Phantasy Star Online 2 - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive

XBOX SERIES X / XBOX ONE 

• CrossfireX - optimized for Series X, console launch exclusive

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Most of the 2020/2021 games are 3rd party devs making games for Xbox Series X.  They can target just the Series X.  Things like Scorn and The Medium both said they were just going to be next gen only.  Microsoft got a lot of hate for this philosphy, but from what I can see, the reason they went this route, is the games that will be releasing in 2020/2021 were all in development awhile ago anyway. 

2021 maybe a cross-gen Forza Horizon 5 by Playground, with 2022 being a proper Forza Motorsport.

5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Most of the 2020/2021 games are 3rd party devs making games for Xbox Series X.  They can target just the Series X.  Things like Scorn and The Medium both said they were just going to be next gen only.  Microsoft got a lot of hate for this philosphy, but from what I can see, the reason they went this route, is the games that will be releasing in 2020/2021 were all in development awhile ago anyway. 

2021 maybe a cross-gen Forza Horizon 5 by Playground, with 2022 being a proper Forza Motorsport.

Oh, I thought they were third party developed but first party published. Is it just multi-gen for first party developed? (Or am I mistaken on the MS published bit? :p )

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, I thought they were third party developed but first party published. Is it just multi-gen for first party developed? (Or am I mistaken on the MS published bit? :p )

Microsoft just committed that it's first party stuff would be multi gen for the first few years of "Next Gen".  I didn't agree with it, I think they should give their 1st party studios the freedom to do what they see is right for their aspirations.  Ultimately, Aaron Greenberg came out yesterday and said their studios can develop for the Series X first and see if they can scale down to Xbox One.  My guess is, they made this commitment because they already knew the timelines on all their big new AAA IP's being worked on, would be 2022 or later anyway.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

What makes you think they‘ll release an unannounced Horizon 5 ahead of an announced Forza?

Playground games has 2 teams, one for Fable, one for Forza Horizon.  Turn 10 is the studio that iterates on their Forza Engine, and they maybe fine tuning the next gen only Forza Engine using the SSD and other new tech to really push the boundaries of the game.  Traditional Forza games are largely the same tracks, with prettier visuals, maybe a tweaked career mode.  They need more of a leap, especially if they are making it a GAAS model that just updates.  

A newer Forza Horizon could be made on the older Forza engine in a new map and location and still be cross gen I think and be largely successful.  The Series X could be a 4k 60fps, maybe a performance mode of 120fps.  They typically dont announce a FH game until June with a Sept/Oct launch date.

Obviously just purely guessing, but wouldn't shock me.  This year would be the year for a Forza Horizon 5 based on their old schedule of every other year, so next year would be an extra year for development as is.

13 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Playground games has 2 teams, one for Fable, one for Forza Horizon.  Turn 10 is the studio that iterates on their Forza Engine, and they maybe fine tuning the next gen only Forza Engine using the SSD and other new tech to really push the boundaries of the game.  Traditional Forza games are largely the same tracks, with prettier visuals, maybe a tweaked career mode.  They need more of a leap, especially if they are making it a GAAS model that just updates.  

A newer Forza Horizon could be made on the older Forza engine in a new map and location and still be cross gen I think and be largely successful.  The Series X could be a 4k 60fps, maybe a performance mode of 120fps.  They typically dont announce a FH game until June with a Sept/Oct launch date.

Obviously just purely guessing, but wouldn't shock me.  This year would be the year for a Forza Horizon 5 based on their old schedule of every other year, so next year would be an extra year for development as is.

I could see it not being a total shock, sure.  

But when have they shown Forza before Horizon when Horizon releases first?  Has that ever happened?

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I could see it not being a total shock, sure.  

But when have they ever shown Forza before Horizon when Horizon releases first?  Has that ever happened?

They've been yearly releases all the time I think, at least since the first Forza Horizon first launched.  They always were shown either E3 or shortly before E3, then launch a few months later that fall/Holiday.  It's why I and many probably assumed there would be a Forza 8 for launch or shortly after.

I know I'm most likely wrong, just trying to think of what games they could potentially have for release next year that maybe Cross Gen.

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I imagine it would look a lot like the Gran Turismo video that Sony showed and everyone would say, "Yep that looks like Forza alright!"

I imagine it would, but I’d like to see what they have in store. I’m wondering if they’re doing anything new creatively with the career mode, if they’re taking it back to FM4, doing something like that card/mod thing they did in FM7, trying something different like creating a narrative within career(like the F1 franchise, or FH), or will it just be FM7 with a big car pack and a couple new tracks. 

Considering this has been one of the longest break between mainline FM titles I’d think they’d have something to show off other than what essentially looked like a CGI trailer. Something to say “hey, this is why it is taking so long”. But maybe they could have released it last year, but was told to hold off so it could be a launch window title for Series X. 

16 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

They've been yearly releases all the time I think, at least since the first Forza Horizon first launched.  They always were shown either E3 or shortly before E3, then launch a few months later that fall/Holiday.  It's why I and many probably assumed there would be a Forza 8 for launch or shortly after.

I know I'm most likely wrong, just trying to think of what games they could potentially have for release next year that maybe Cross Gen.

At least we can say it’s unprecedented.  I think if it was Horizon’s turn, we should have saw it first to begin with.

Maybe the studio is planning something else?  It could also be they’re working on this new generation’s Horizon, in the same way Microsoft’s talked about Halo and Forza as long-standing platforms.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Avowed, Fable, Forza 8, Everwild, and State of Decay 3 are 2022 at the earliest. So technically they wouldn't be lying lol.

The devs came out and plainly stated that The Medium just wasn't possible on current gen platforms. The fact that it's rendering two scenes simultaneously leads me to believe them. But, it's Bloober Team, so I'm more concerned if it's going to run at 15fps or not.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Avowed, Fable, Forza 8, Everwild, and State of Decay 3 are 2022 at the earliest. 

Forza not coming out until 2022 would actually be surprising. That’s a 5 year development cycle. Three years longer than any cycle in the mainline series. The game would have to be massively ambitious. 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Forza not coming out until 2022 would actually be surprising. That’s a 5 year development cycle. Three years longer than any cycle in the mainline series. The game would have to be massively ambitious. 

We're assuming that it's actually been in the works for the past three years though. According to them, they're in "early development" which, if true, would put them back on their two-year cycle. Hence the 2022.

I would love to be wrong though!

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

We're assuming that it's actually been in the works for the past three years though. According to them, they're in "early development" which, if true, would put them back on their two-year cycle. Hence the 2022.

I would love to be wrong though!

then they have done nothing for 3 years...

I continue to lose respect for Turn 10. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 12:53 PM, JPDunks4 said:

Seems I was correct with this guess.

• 11 months later...

While it sucks we have to wait until Spring of '23, at least that gives the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 5 time to breath (wasn't it THE DLC to beat for FH4?)

That being said, we should start to see a whole lot more behind the scenes & such in the coming months leading up to its release & I'm totally down for that. Still holding out hope we can go back to Mount Fujiyama (Fujumi Kaido), been missing that track since FM4!!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forza Motorsport (Spring 2023) - Information Thread, update: new details from the Forza Monthly livestream