Sign in to follow this  
StephenO1683

March 2011 NPDs

The 3DS launched last month to mixed results, as far as we can tell. NPD doesn't report hardware numbers, of course, but the agency reports that in its first seven days on the market, the handheld's performance "compares quite favorably to that of the best-selling dedicated handheld gaming platform of all time, the Nintendo DS." It sold about 100,000 fewer units than the 479,000 DS did in its launch month -- but that was a November.

Nintendo previously said the console had the best first day of any handheld in US history. Even so, it managed not to be the top seller of the month. That honor goes to ... the Nintendo DS.

And here's why. The top two games, unsurprisingly, are both DS titles -- Pokemon Black and White, the latter of which is the best-selling Pokemon game at launch ever, the NPD says. In fact, the only 3DS title on the top 10 is Lego Star Wars 3, and that shares the position with Wii, DS, Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the same game. The NPD provides no indication of how many copies were sold on any one platform.

Directly under the Pokemans at No. 3 is Homefront, suggesting that as far as gimmicks go, not being very good trumps 3D. A pair of debuts from EA, Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2, also found their way into the top 10 -- the full list can be seen after the break.

Top 10 best-selling games (US) for March 2011:

Pokemon White -- NDS -- 1 -- Nintendo

Pokemon Black -- NDS -- 2 -- Nintendo

Homefront -- 360, PS3, PC -- 3 -- THQ

Dragon Age 2 -- 360, PS3, PC -- 4 -- EA

Call of Duty: Black Ops -- 360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC -- 5 -- Activision

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars -- WII, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC -- 6 -- LucasArts

Crysis 2 -- 360, PS3, PC -- 7 -- Electronic Arts

NBA 2K11 -- 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP, PC -- 8 -- Take 2 Interactive

MLB 11 The Show -- PS3, PSP, PS2 -- 9 -- Sony

Fight Night Champion -- 360, PS3 -- 10 -- EA

MS PR

Xbox 360 was the number one console in the U.S. in March 2011, based on console and software sales, as well as ongoing demand for Kinect, the fastest selling consumer electronics device in 60 days.

March NPD highlights include*:

-Xbox 360 sold 433,000 units in March, maintaining the number one console spot in the U.S.

-Xbox 360 console sales were up 28 percent year over year, the largest growth of any current generation console on the market.

-Total retail spend on Xbox 360 platform (hardware, software and accessories) reached $457 million, still the highest among current generation consoles.

-During the month of March, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: Homefront, Dragon Age II, Crysis 2,and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

We expect this momentum to continue throughout 2011. In the coming months, Xbox 360 owners can look forward to the arrival of Kinect-enabled Hulu Plus, as well as a diverse catalog of new games.

*Source: NPD Group, March 2011

Nintendo DS (Yes, DS) - 460k

Nintendo 3DS - Slightly Under 400,000

Wii - 290k

Xbox 360 - 433,000 (Top Selling Console)

Sony NPD: "PlayStation saw double digit growth across hardware and peripherals, signaling continued momentum for the PlayStation platform."

http://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/58655721344077824

"PlayStation peripherals have now achieved double-digit growth for 19 consecutive months, according to NPD."

http://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/58656892293099520

Is there any other series besides Pokemon that could release two games that are almost the exact same freaking game at the same time?

People talk about CoD getting recycled....

Pretty sure these are all lies, coz I was told by people in the know in the other thread that since NPD asked for it's info to stop being released to the dirty public then that would actually happen....coz they're top secret like Nuclear codes and Jimmy Hoffa's buriel site.

Pretty sure these are all lies, coz I was told by people in the know in the other thread that since NPD asked for it's info to stop being released to the dirty public then that would actually happen....coz they're top secret like Nuclear codes and Jimmy Hoffa's buriel site.

So you think the person leaking the information is a THQ informant who is padding their numbers?

So you think the person leaking the information is a THQ informant who is padding their numbers?

or the KKK promoting news that Pokemon White sold more than Pokemon Black.

So since it always seems Sales indicates quality around these parts Homefront is better than Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2.

So mad. Don't hate on Homefront because it's reviewing higher than Socom 4 and is gonna sell millions of more copies. [face_laugh]

Hate on Homefront because you actually played the game, like me. [face_shame_on_you]

So mad. Don't hate on Homefront because it's reviewing higher than Socom 4 and is gonna sell millions of more copies. [face_laugh]

Hate on Homefront because you actually played the game, like me. [face_shame_on_you]

What's that thing you always say? You don't always have to eat dog shit to know it's bad. Well I don't have to play dog shit to know it's not worth the buck in gas and the half and hour it will take me to rent the game, bring it come, confirm it's dog shit, and then take it back.

What's that thing you always say? You don't always have to eat dog shit to know it's bad. Well I don't have to play dog shit to know it's not worth the buck in gas and the half and hour it will take me to rent the game, bring it come, confirm it's dog shit, and then take it back.

SOCOM 4 reference goes here.

I don't really get why people are disappointed at the titles in that list. It's refreshing to not see a single piece of casual crap in there. Pokemon is beloved by all (not me, just saying it bridges the casual/core gap) and the lego games are supposedly a lot of fun and great for kids. The rest of the games good or bad are at least made to appeal to people who ya know, actually give a crap about video games so i say kudos to everybody involved [face_coffee]

For those that played Homefront, is the sp going to be worth it for $5-$10 during the Steam holiday sale?

Thanks, Steve.

Guys, is it my imagination; as Bjomesphat stated it does seem to be a terrible time for games, but the market for the big three seems to be as healthy as it has ever been.

Why is this?

[face_confused]

Why is it that every time these numbers are leaked, PS3 console sales are the last to show up? I'm sure the info is all in one place.

Because those numbers usually are coming from the companies own press releases and Sony isn't eager to say, "hey, we're in last place again this month.".

Because those numbers usually are coming from the companies own press releases and Sony isn't eager to say, "hey, we're in last place again this month.".

You'd think they'd be used to it by now.

Ahh, I see. I thought it was leaked from a 3rd party that had access to the info.