Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

This is quite something.

Y3YXJEE4LZNUJAACOZL4KB5I5U.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Taliban fighters have protected western military bases in Afghanistan from attacks by rival, or rogue Islamist groups for over a year under a secret annex to a pact for the withdrawal of all U.S. forces by May 1, three Western officials with...

• Shocked 1

51 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is quite something.

Y3YXJEE4LZNUJAACOZL4KB5I5U.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Taliban fighters have protected western military bases in Afghanistan from attacks by rival, or rogue Islamist groups for over a year under a secret annex to a pact for the withdrawal of all U.S. forces by May 1, three Western officials...

:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: US vacates Bagram Air Base, effectively ending operations in Afghanistan
22 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

When will the Afghans hand over Bagram to the Taliban?  

Man, we really wasted 20 years in Afghanistan.  If we just wanted retribution for 9/11, we would have just glassed the areas where Al Qaeda was hiding out.

From what I gather, the Taliban can just stroll right in.

"Looters Ransacked Bagram Airbase in Afghanistan As Soon As US Left"

60df2ccf7cd04c001a227a4a?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The Afghan government's inability to guard one of the country's most important bases doesn't bode well for Afghanistan's future.

"I'm not going to answer any more questions about Afghanistan," Biden then said, moving to cut off reporters. "Look, it's Fourth of July. ... This is a holiday weekend, I'm going to celebrate it. There's great things happening."

Yeah, Joe, I'm sure those Afghan interpreters, their families, and other vulnerable individuals who worked with us over the years are REALLY sorry that these questions intrude on your holiday weekend.

Geriatric asshole.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If 1000000% about getting the fuck out of there but that included everyone who helped us who is in line for reprisal killings. Shameful.

ashraf.jpg
WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

"We think he is lying," said Omid Mahmoodi, who worked as a translator in 2018. "Time is running out."

Yeah, you can't recruit locals into your war machine and then when you finally leave be like "Thoughts and prayers for your health and safety!"

I mean, obviously you CAN. You just shouldn't.

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

So after two decades and untold amounts of death and suffering, we're basically right back to where things started besides the Taliban maybe not picking fights with countries that are as rich and dumb as America. 

Yes. Which was the only outcome that there ever could be. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Taliban now in control of 1/3 of Afghanistan
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

BAGRAM, Afghanistan (AP) — The U.S. left Afghanistan's Bagram Airfield after nearly 20 years by shutting off the electricity and slipping away in the night without notifying the base's new Afghan commander, who discovered the Americans'...

As foretold a decade ago:

a8jehq89v3itzjcopxlc.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN—In what officials said was the "only way" to move on from what has become a "sad and unpleasant" situation, all 100,000 U.S. military and intelligence personnel crept out of their barracks in the dead of night Sunday and...

There's a critical difference between the involvement in Afghanistan of the Chinese and previous foreign powers: the Chinese aren't looking to fundamentally change Afghan society or conquer the territory.

The Chinese aren't going to scold the inevitable Taliban leadership of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan about their human rights abuses - they're just not going to give a damn about internal matters as long as the Taliban honors the contracts.

So what happens if (the?) Taliban takes over Afghanistan? What do they even want? I mean, if they fully take over won't they then just be another government? I've never really understood what happens after it is all over assuming it could ever be all over.