~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Came here to post the same thing. Looks like the uptick on deaths is starting.

I'm by no means a data analyst, but based on my reading of the COVID tracking project, it looks like the increase in hospitalizations started around June 24, which is two weeks ago.

ri8LNb8.png

47 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I'm by no means a data analyst, but based on my reading of the COVID tracking project, it looks like the increase in hospitalizations started around June 24, which is two weeks ago.

ri8LNb8.png

And that a younger cohort seems to be the current driver of new cases, while they're let likely to die or need hospitalization, we don't know the long term effects and through sheer numbers may overwhelm hospital systems

38 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I know I keep saying things to this effect, but it is crazy how quickly during this pandemic that the unthinkable becomes first possible and then sometimes even routine

It was just last week that Fauci warned of 100k new cases per day and even I(not exactly an optimist on this thing) was thinking, "sure it could get bad, but is he just giving us a worst case scenario to spur us into action?".

Granted, 60k is not 100k, but if it's 60k now I see a high ceiling as those July 4th numbers continue rolling in.....

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well you gotta remember that these people sometimes get notice of the incoming danger like, 6 WHOLE DAYS ahead of the storm by their governors and other leaders.

These people were never given any advance notice of this incoming danger from their government on how dangerous the storm could be. They’ve been playing things out like being stuck in the fucking eye of the storm. Everything is looking good and calm but that eye wall is tightening and is slamming them good

5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Sikhs in Canada are a hugely positive force. So much volunteerism and charity. I'm not saying their religion is perfect, but they do put their money where there mouth is when it comes to helping people.

In my city when the pandemic hit they started driving entire semi trailers full of groceries into the inner city and giving the away for free to anyone who wanted them. Their temples offer free food all the time as well for anyone who needs a meal.

Schools shouldn't open until trump meets face to face with someone who isn't tested, and public tours of the white house resume.

My dad is 60 and is a teacher in Indiana. My wife has a heart condition and is 32. I don't want these people to have to risk their lives from careless disregard for their lives just for the chance to open the economy.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Sikhs in Canada are a hugely positive force. So much volunteerism and charity. I'm not saying their religion is perfect, but they do put their money where there mouth is when it comes to helping people.

In my city when the pandemic hit they started driving entire semi trailers full of groceries into the inner city and giving the away for free to anyone who wanted them. Their temples offer free food all the time as well for anyone who needs a meal.

Sikhs also wear those totally awesome ceremonial daggers!

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Schools shouldn't open until trump meets face to face with someone who isn't tested, and public tours of the white house resume.

My dad is 60 and is a teacher in Indiana. My wife has a heart condition and is 32. I don't want these people to have to risk their lives from careless disregard for their lives just for the chance to open the economy.

My mom is a teacher in her late 50s.  I don't want her to risk her health either.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Hurricanes have yet to become so partisan that thousands will host parties outside and other large gatherings while 100+ mph winds tear tear through them.  But when they do...

I’ll be ok if Republicans want to take a stand against hurricanes and try to act like they don’t exist while being slaughtered by the tens of thousands. I’ll be just fine. 

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We will probably get a couple of games before there's a breakout and they shut down the league for the year

Maybe I am wrong, but the NFL isn't like the NBA or soccer where almost everyone has to be in lean shape to play.

It wouldn't be that surprising if some 300+ pound offensive lineman died from complications from it.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

Maybe I am wrong, but the NFL isn't like the NBA or soccer where almost everyone has to be in lean shape to play.

It wouldn't be that surprising if some 300+ pound offensive lineman died from complications from it.

They're not skill position players, they don't count! (Kidding of course)

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Hurricanes have yet to become so partisan that thousands will host parties outside and other large gatherings while 100+ mph winds tear tear through them.  But when they do...

I’ll be ok if Republicans want to take a stand against hurricanes and try to act like they don’t exist while being slaughtered by the tens of thousands. I’ll be just fine. 

Fact, car accidents kill more people in Florida every year than hurricanes, yet you don't see them sending people to shelters for car accidents!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is the dumbest fucking shit ever. 60 mins of full contact, full speed but no hanging around outside

I mean you’re not wrong, but at given how polarized mitigation efforts have become, I’m not about to bemoan security theater. Even if something only helps in a minuscule way, I think it should be encouraged. 

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I mean you’re not wrong, but at given how polarized mitigation efforts have become, I’m not about to bemoan security theater. Even if something only helps in a minuscule way, I think it should be encouraged. 

I don't disagree but it's akin to pissing on a raging house fire, even within the league