Better Call Saul is BACK!

I'm late, but I caught up with a sick day from work and a cold.

Jimmy conned me. I actually started to believe him in that last scene of the finale. That was excellent TV. I keep hoping Kim sees the warning signs and leaves. I thought it would have been enough to learn about his side business selling burners. I'm not sure what it'll take for her to realize what is in her best interest. I don't want to see her with Howard, but I do want to see her leave. Earlier I thought Jimmy was just in denial about how Chuck's death was affecting him, and up until that last scene of the season, I thought he was suppressing his emotions. I now think he actually doesn't feel anything about it. 

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Why would Kim need to end up with Howard when things fail with Jimmy? It's not like she's gotta be forced into a relationship. GTFO with that shit.

Because Howard is everything Jimmy isn't and I always thought he had a thing for Kim. I think she was his protege in the beginning, but more importantly, Where Jimmy avoids his feelings and lies to everyone including her and himself, Howard is honest with his feelings and actually allows himself to feel them. Plus it would be Jimmy's ultimate nightmare to lose Kim to a guy like Howard. Makes too much sense to me from a thematic and story point... It's not about "forcing her into a relationship.", it's about what makes the most sense in the arc of the story and how Jimmy is self destructive and pushes everyone away, even the people who care about him the most. I could be wrong but :shrug:

28 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I'm late, but I caught up with a sick day from work and a cold.

Jimmy conned me. I actually started to believe him in that last scene of the finale. That was excellent TV. I keep hoping Kim sees the warning signs and leaves. I thought it would have been enough to learn about his side business selling burners. I'm not sure what it'll take for her to realize what is in her best interest. I don't want to see her with Howard, but I do want to see her leave. Earlier I thought Jimmy was just in denial about how Chuck's death was affecting him, and up until that last scene of the season, I thought he was suppressing his emotions. I now think he actually doesn't feel anything about it. 

I think he DOES feel something, he just can't face those emotions.... unless I'm giving him WAAY too much credit :p

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Because Howard is everything Jimmy isn't and I always thought he had a thing for Kim. I think she was his protege in the beginning, but more importantly, Where Jimmy avoids his feelings and lies to everyone including her and himself, Howard is honest with his feelings and actually allows himself to feel them. Plus it would be Jimmy's ultimate nightmare to lose Kim to a guy like Howard. Makes too much sense to me from a thematic and story point... It's not about "forcing her into a relationship.", it's about what makes the most sense in the arc of the story and how Jimmy is self destructive and pushes everyone away, even the people who care about him the most. I could be wrong but :shrug:

Maybe I've missed something or I'm blind or whatever, but I've never seen any hint of romantic feelings between Howard and Kim. 

Having her leave Jimmy and run to Howard when they've never been anything more than professional colleagues would just feel shoehorned, not appropriate for the story. Kim doesn't need to end up with anyone. I thought we were moving past the era where women always needed a man in their lives. 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe I've missed something or I'm blind or whatever, but I've never seen any hint of romantic feelings between Howard and Kim. 

Having her leave Jimmy and run to Howard when they've never been anything more than professional colleagues would just feel shoehorned, not appropriate for the story. Kim doesn't need to end up with anyone. I thought we were moving past the era where women always needed a man in their lives. 

I always felt like Howard had feelings for her  not the other way around, but I think that she will start to see both Howard and Jimmy for who they are and while she was initially attracted to Jimmy's wild side, she's ultimately going to reject that and move to Howard. Again I may be waaaay out in front of the story but that's where I THINK it's heading. Again, this has nothing to do with "thinking that a woman needs a man in her life" I'm just going where I believe the story is leading us. I COULD be wrong of course, but it occurred to me when I saw the contrast between how Jimmy handled Chuck's death and how Howard did and I think that's where the story is heading... didn't mean to offend anyone.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've not gotten a hint of that. It would just feel weird if they went that direction and I'd like to think the showrunners are better than that. Kim always struck me as the type who didn't need a relationship. 

She's also a flawed character who is drawn to all the wrong shit in Jimmy while at the same time wanting to "save him from himself". She's very complex and I could be wrong about where her character is going but I totally see her outgrowing Jimmy and moving in a more... traditional/safer direction than she has been since the show started. Shit, I HOPE that's where she ends up because all the other potential outcomes for her don't look good considering the stuff she's done with Jimmy and for him. The other alternative is that he completely ruins her professionally which is another potential direction her character could be heading... the one I personally dread the most :(

59 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Why would Kim need to end up with Howard when things fail with Jimmy? It's not like she's gotta be forced into a relationship. GTFO with that shit.

Kim doesn't need to end up with Howard, but I could see the show going that way. I don't think it's the way the show should go nor do I think it is probable. As you said earlier, Kim doesn't need anyone. My ideal ending for Kim would be to see Jimmy for who he is and leave him and cut off all communications. 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

She's also a flawed character who is drawn to all the wrong shit in Jimmy while at the same time wanting to "save him from himself". She's very complex and I could be wrong about where her character is going but I totally see her outgrowing Jimmy and moving in a more... traditional/safer direction than she has been since the show started. Shit, I HOPE that's where she ends up because all the other potential outcomes for her don't look good considering the stuff she's done with Jimmy and for him. The other alternative is that he completely ruins her professionally which is another potential direction her character could be heading... the one I personally dread the most :(

We are all dreading that potential ending for Kim. The possibilities are actually much worse than just her being ruined professionally. Given the people Jimmy associates with, she could end up dead. I don't think that's what will happen, but it's possible. The main argument against it that I was going to type out is Jimmy seemed like himself in Breaking Bad, not like someone that just lost someone close to him. But we can now see that Jimmy may not be phased at all by losing people close to him. We can pretend like Jimmy is really hurting somewhere really deep down, but I don't think so anymore. Jimmy has situational empathy, but he doesn't seem to feel it at all the appropriate times. Maybe the black and white scenes are really about him absorbing not only the loss of his entire life for a fake one as a result of the events of Breaking Bad, but also the death of Kim and Chuck.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I want Kim to end up okay, too. And with the way the season ended, I could see her realizing it's time to leave Jimmy. I just don't see the story needing her to end up with Howard to be okay. Like I said, there's never been a hint of anything between them. She doesn't need a man to end up okay.

I would be careful on how you interpreted that scene. I thought Kim was catching on earlier in the season multiple times. Jimmy refused to see a therapist, told Howard it was his cross to bear, and on and on. She has seen Jimmy's emotions out of whack multiple times but stays with him for whatever reason. She is a complicated character.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

See I think them killing Kim would be some antiquated non-sense... her leaving him for Howard though? That would justify all of the self loathing he already feels anyway (in HIS mind anyway).

I think it is less likely that Kim dies than her ending up with Howard. Most likely she will either have her career ruined by Jimmy or she will just leave town with an understanding of how shitty Jimmy truly is.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's how I feel. 

Even if Kim's career is preserved, her parting ways is going to be some painful, heart-wrenching TV. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I will be relieved if she keeps her career and reputation and gets out of Jimmy's circle alive.

Edit: Maybe Kim will show up in one of the black and white scenes post BB to identify his body. Or worse, maybe he goes to an apartment and she is so blind she is still living with him! :p

Edit 2: Another silly thought. Black and white scenes eventually show Jimmy getting caught. Kim is called to witness at the trial and puts Jimmy away.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caught up on this show, finishing the season tonight. Soooo good! :mdancing: Poor Werner, as many have said, and Jimmy got me too in the end. :lol: I see that we're now approaching Breaking Bad's length (62 episodes, vs. BCS's 40), so I suppose that means there isn't much left to go.