Sign in to follow this  
StephenO1683

Nintendo cutting Wii price to $150 on May 15th?

Will MS and Sony respond?

Nintendo's miniature white monolith has sold like gangbusters for long enough that we're wary it'll ever get cheap, but a trusted source tells us a price cut is indeed headed our way -- and that the Nintendo Wii will cost just $150 starting May 15th. The timing would make some sense, given how Nintendo's profits have tanked for a while due to flagging hardware sales, and just last month Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime hinted that the Wii's price might be a potential variable to change that in an interview with Gamasutra. Still, we're not fully convinced that Nintendo would announce a price cut then, rather than, say, at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in June, and it's not like the company to let this sort of announcement leak out, but if you find a shiny new copy of Mario Kart Wii in a $150 console bundle this time next month, don't say we didn't warn you.

MS probably will wait it out until the recent success of the 360 drops. Sony may respond.

If someone doesn't own a Wii at this point. $150 is a pretty great deal. If you have yet to play Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes, etc., you're in for a treat. Just don't expect much more beyond The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for this year and you should be set for some time.

Dang, that makes the 3DS seem really overpriced in comparison.

The Wii doesn't need to be $150 to make the 3DS seem really overpriced :P

Wii should have been $150 three years ago.

I bought mine for 150 bucks 2 1/2 years ago from a friend, and i regret it every day. I can't believe how i thought the kids and wife would love this console, I'm glad for nintendo for their success, but it's not worth anything to us. . ., it's been it my daughter room now for over a year, and I have never seen her play it. We played it alot for about a month! When I bought it it came with 9 games, 2 controllers, a 4 controller charge station, ethernet adapter {for wired internet} 2 nun chucks, etc. oh well, at least we never bought it new. I plan on giving it to my oldest boys son next year, he'll be 3 then. . . lol! I think it's just how bad the games look on a large 1080p LCD, it's hard for me to enjoy them, scaled to 480p isn't a system seller, it looks better on the kids TV's, but they have other systems they play!

Sorry I edited this, as it seemed i was bashing the Wii, i respect it for what it is, but it's far behind the PS3 and the 360 in our house, and the PSP too . . It was really really fun the very first week!

I bought mine for 150 bucks 2 1/2 years ago from a friend, and i regret it every day. I can't believe how i thought the kids and wife would love this console, I'm glad for nintendo for their success, but it's not worth anything to us. . ., it's been it my daughter room now for over a year, and I have never seen her play it. We played it alot for about a month! When I bought it it came with 9 games, 2 controllers, a 4 controller charge station, ethernet adapter {for wired internet} 2 nun chucks, etc. oh well, at least we never bought it new. I plan on giving it to my oldest boys son next year, he'll be 3 then. . . lol! I think it's just how bad the games look on a large 1080p LCD, it's hard for me to enjoy them, scaled to 480p isn't a system seller, it looks better on the kids TV's, but they have other systems they play!

I can't remember the journalist that wrote a story on it but that's pretty much damn near everybodies story with the wii. People played it at somebodies house, thought it was amazing, got one, played it for a month only taking it out at special occasionas if that, their friends played it, got one, played it for a month, etc.

It's like a casual gaming virus that infects peoples homes [face_laugh]

As for the price, keep sliding nintendo. I want to finish galaxy 1 and 2 and metroid prime 3 and...maybe otherM, not paying 150 dollars before the cost of the games to do it.

What's funny is that kids are supposed to love it, but all of the kids in my life don't really give a crap about motion controls and generally prefer gaming on the 360. Now, don't get me wrong, these same kids LOVE Mario and Boom Blox and a lot of other great Wii exclusives... but they would love them just as much on another console.

Once the gimmick of motion controls wears off it actually makes games more difficult in my opinion.

The Wii was just more appealing to adults. They see that you have to move around and be active... and that there doesn't seem to be nothing but grey and brown games with scary muscle men, blood and skulls on the front... and that other adults seem to like it and it's cute... and it was on Ellen, or Oprah, or the View or whatever and they looked like they were having fun... we played it at the Coleman's last week and it was so fun... fun for the whole family... not a big scary console, but for the family!!! and boom. SOLD.

The truth is that most kids would have just as much fun with a Playstation or 360. Parents wouldn't care, because the parents say they like the Wii, but what they really mean is that they play if for 15 minutes every 3 months and say they like it. It's not the same thing as actually using it.

Now maybe this is all anecdotal, but in my little world, this is almost always the case.

What's funny is that kids are supposed to love it, but all of the kids in my life don't really give a crap about motion controls and generally prefer gaming on the 360. Now, don't get me wrong, these same kids LOVE Mario and Boom Blox and a lot of other great Wii exclusives... but they would love them just as much on another console.

Once the gimmick of motion controls wears off it actually makes games more difficult in my opinion.

The Wii was just more appealing to adults. They see that you have to move around and be active... and that there doesn't seem to be nothing but grey and brown games with scary muscle men, blood and skulls on the front... and that other adults seem to like it and it's cute... and it was on Ellen, or Oprah, or the View or whatever and they looked like they were having fun... we played it at the Coleman's last week and it was so fun... fun for the whole family... not a big scary console, but for the family!!! and boom. SOLD.

The truth is that most kids would have just as much fun with a Playstation or 360. Parents wouldn't care, because the parents say they like the Wii, but what they really mean is that they play if for 15 minutes every 3 months and say they like it. It's not the same thing as actually using it.

Now maybe this is all anecdotal, but in my little world, this is almost always the case.

Yeah that's a pretty spot-on description of it. The Wii is the console out-of-touch adults can play.

This is what happened with my Wii. I played some Wii bowling, thought it was awesome, and bought the console. I showed it off to some friends, and it was cool at first, but then the lack of games / crappy graphics killed off all the fun. It collected dust and then I sold it. Best decision I ever made.

Considering the fact that the Wii is just a slightly upgraded Gamecube and the Gamecube retailed for $99 SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS AGO, $150 is still an enormous ripoff.

Technologically speaking, a Wii really shouldn't retail for any more than $69.99.

Yeah well that's why Nintendo is making shit tons of money. Must be nice to have your ripoff system in first place.

Sony really needs to get the base slim down to $199 now.

I use the Wii practically every day. Haven't played games on it in ages, but it's still great as a mutli-media center for my bedroom. I can play anything that's on my PC or on YouTube. Plus I can control my PC with it thru VNC, so I can surf the web with a real browser. It's all homebrew stuff I'm referring to, but whatever, it works.