• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $790 (as of 22 January)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • Jason

Missing icons.   12/27/2016

Unfortunately, we lost a bunch of user icons due to the data loss a few days ago—but we didn't intentionally remove any so if yours is gone please feel free to just set it back.   -Jason
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SFLUFAN

A pretty huge debate about OpenGL has erupted in the dev community involving devs from Valve, Epic, Firaxis, and AMD

23 posts in this topic

This is quite technical, but I think this is very interesting considering what Valve is staking on OpenGL in regard to its future plans:

1. The debate started when Rich Geldreich from Valve (who is working on Vogl, Valve's OpenGL debugger) posted an entry on his blog called Things That Drive Me Nuts About OpenGL. He also made a couple of Twitter posts here and here.

2. In response, Timothy Lottes, a senior rendering programmer at Epic who developed FXAA and TXAA while at Nvidia, posted this response on his personal blog.

3. Rick Geldreich the posted The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality on his blog. His Twitter post on this entry features quite a few responses.

4. Joshua Barczak, Firaxis's lead graphics engineer for the Civilization, agrees with Geldreich and posted this blog entry OpenGL Is Broken.

5. Epic's Timothy Lottes (as naturally expected) posted this response.

6. This caused AMD's OpenGL developer to post an angry tweet and another one from a former Nvidia developer who now works at Valve.

7. Michael Marks, the tech director from Aspyr, shared his thoughts. He also posted OpenGL Stop Breaking My Heart and The Impact of Apple's Limited OpenGL Support On Gaming.

8. A Unity developer chimed in with Rant About Rants About OpenGL.

9. Barczak posted a follow-up regarding OpenGL driver quality.

10. Lastly, and somewhat unrelated, a Naughty Dog dev said LOL DX12 LOL.

I'm mostly lost in this Jargon rich chain of communications, but its interesting reading none the less! :sun:

Edit: it seems to me that the battle really comes down to what version. They all seem to agree that OGL 4.4 is pretty good, not no compatible for all platforms.

Why would anyone listen to a Naughty Dog dev about DirectX? They've been Playstation exclusive for decades!

I can only speak from playing OGL games on OSX/Linux but from that my impressions are that it sucks ass.

Pretty sure it's only open-source freaks who sing the praises of OpenGL. It's always such a great sounding API in theory, but in practice, at least on PC, I haven't seen proof of it doing anything spectacular at all.

Pretty sure it's only open-source freaks who sing the praises of OpenGL. It's always such a great sounding API in theory, but in practice, at least on PC, I haven't seen proof of it doing anything spectacular at all.

Except for fucking up SLI support, its pretty spectacular at that... :/

Relevant XKCD:

standards.png

In the case of stuff like this, even when there are only a couple actually different standards, even different versions can essentially be competing standards.

Thanks for posting this though, I'll have to go through it better when I get some time.

Yeah, the Linux and MS hating nutbags are the biggest OpenGL champions.

Why'd this thread pop up on my screen? Well, whatever. Has any progress been made in these arguments over the past year? I'd be really interested to see updated thoughts on DX12. Nothing is really using it yet, but it's available at least.

Why'd this thread pop up on my screen? Well, whatever. Has any progress been made in these arguments over the past year? I'd be really interested to see updated thoughts on DX12. Nothing is really using it yet, but it's available at least.

I'm hoping Vulkan will, but so far OGL still sucks balls.

In other news the Nvidia Beta "Developer OGL" driverset with the newest extensions have support for Windows XP, but none for Windows 10. Priorities!

In other news the Nvidia Beta "Developer OGL" driverset with the newest extensions have support for Windows XP, but none for Windows 10. Priorities!

Lol, it is only nutjobs who are still sticking to Windows XP, especially if they care about graphic driver updates. Many corporations were sticking to XP because of proprietary software/hardware but haven't most moved on since Microsoft finally ended all support for it in 2014? At my work, we finally got rid of XP everywhere except for a flow cytometer with proprietary hardware boards that only have XP drivers.

What current game engines are running OpenGL on Windows PC?

Is Source OpenGL?

I know you used to get Valve games to run in Open GL.

I don't know if you can anymore though. At this point, an I3 is good enough to run dx games, so what purpose does OGL serve?

I know you used to get Valve games to run in Open GL.

I don't know if you can anymore though. At this point, an I3 is good enough to run dx games, so what purpose does OGL serve?

Not really sure currently but for the future wasn't OGL going to be the go to API for developers who want to develop for games running on the STEAM OS? I liked the idea of an alernative to Windows. For me to stick a STEAM OS box in my Home Theater to play games was attractive.

Not really sure currently but for the future wasn't OGL going to be the go to API for developers who want to develop for games running on the STEAM OS? I liked the idea of an alernative to Windows. For me to stick a STEAM OS box in my Home Theater to play games was attractive.

Probably, they it for Linux games.

OpenGL is cross platform. Phones, the web, playstations, and non-windows pcs all use a form of OpenGL.

OpenGL is cross platform. Phones, the web, playstations, and non-windows pcs all use a form of OpenGL.

Yes, no one is debating that. We are talking about Windows usage.