Smash Bros Ultimate Direct for 8/8 at 7AM PT...

Ghost_MH

I hadn't seen this posted yet. It looks like we're getting a Smash Bros focused Direct tomorrow morning...

It has to be new characters, right? The only other thing that would warrant a full Direct would be if they were bringing some sort of story mode to the game. Not necessarily something like Subspace Emissary, but something a little more hefty for players going through it alone.

Or Waluigi. He deserves his own Direct.

They could do a whole direct on how they've made the online experience better.  Dramatically improved netcode, ranked modes, doubles team matchmaking, 'for glory' not being limited to omega stages, mmr stats, options for 1vs1s in 'for fun,' an items-light mode that takes away the most cheap/lag inducing ones...

Nah, I'd be surprised if they do any of that.

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Smash already had one. It was called E3. It was boring as hell. No wonder that guy shorted Nintendo Stock. He is thinking what we are all thinking. 

WHERE THE HELL IS METROID FUCKING PRIME?!

It's coming, Nintendo often takes their time on big games, and they're always great. 

And Smash will sell a ton, so I think you're in the minority on being bored. 

So glad Simon Belmont and K. Rool made it in as fighters! Disappointed that Dark Samus is just an echo fighter, even though I was expecting it. Really cool to see that mode where you pick multiple fighters for each life, I've wanted something like that for a while.

Overall, good direct.  It's nice to see some of the things PM introduced finally making it into the main series, like Squad Strike. (ie: All Star Versus)

I also like the addition of the FS meter.  Sounds a whole lot better than the Smash Ball, especially considering that Final Smashes are weakened in that mode.  But 2 of them can't be out at the same time?  Seems a little whack.  They probably didn't want to nerf them enough to make multiple at once not seem to busy.

So after watching the Direct, you can't say Nintendo aren't doing their utmost to include everything in the game.  Based of what we've been shown, the only thing I would ask they include would be a 'physics' mode where you can alter the physics to replicate 64, Melee or Brawl in a custom match. 

Like everyone else, I do wonder what the bottom left menu (in green) actually is.  I'm guessing some riff of the adventure modes from Melee and Brawl. 

26 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

So after watching the Direct, you can't say Nintendo aren't doing their utmost to include everything in the game.  Based of what we've been shown, the only thing I would ask they include would be a 'physics' mode where you can alter the physics to replicate 64, Melee or Brawl in a custom match.

Sadly, there's no way that would work without rebalancing the entire cast and adding in old mechanics.  It'd feel so off just to adjust the physics alone.

So... Is this like the last Smash Bros ever? Are we getting to the point where future versions will just be this game ported to new consoles with a new season pack of characters, stages, and music?

Seems crazy to try to top this in the future or scale things back any.

Hopefully the next one gives Dark Samus her own unique moveset. That was really the only disappointment from this otherwise very good presentation. So many nice little additions. 

800+ music tracks is impressive, although it seems most of them are only around two minutes long. 

23 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Love all the Castlevania representation. Fantastic. 

If I *had* to nitpick something? Where is my Ken “Echo” character of Ryu?  

Eh, whatever. Hard to really complain. Freakin’ Shovel Knight!

I would have much preferred Ken being shown to be the new echo along with Chrom, rather than Dark Samus. 

Now she and Ganondorf are the two characters I want most to get reworked movesets in the next Smash.